Evans Halshaw - sold car short MOT ***Resolved***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 635 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Bought a car from Evans Halshaw 6 months ago. At the time I was told the car needed an MOT soon and they would do this before I collected - so 12 months MOT.

Went to check the MOT due to date recently and found it has not been done. 

Immediately put in for MOT to find it had a major fault with suspension requiring £240 worth work. And without a car for work for a week - normally I would plan the MOT to prevent time off. 

Evans Halshaw have a guarantee of at least 6 months MOT (was only 2 months). Garage says suspension has been worn for sometime. 

I have contacted Evans Halshaw twice to speak to them - I am waiting for a manger to get back to me. What should I do? 

I appreciate that has the new owner I should have checked this had been done and checked date of MOT. I failed here and feel embarrassed.

So please, no judgement. I am also afraid that suggesting I did any driving without an MOT could make me liable for something and put me in a sticky situation. 

Forget any warranty, your consumer rights are your friend here.

Once 6mts has elapsed it's down to you to get a report done, detailing the fault and if this was present upon sale, then they are liable, and have one chance to repair else refund time 

How many miles have you done please?

Dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

How long was remaining on the MOT at time of purchase ? 

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

20 minutes ago, dx100uk said:

Forget any warranty, your consumer rights are your friend here.

Once 6mts has elapsed it's down to you to get a report done, detailing the fault and if this was present upon sale, then they are liable, and have one chance to repair else refund time 

How many miles have you done please?

Dx

I have quite a long commute. So just short of 10,000 miles. 

Frustratingly I heard a noise from the front driver side over speed bumps within days of getting it. Mentioned it to my other-half who gave me an explanation that seemed reasonable at the time (he knows cars better than myself and I can be paranoid). Wish I’d just gone with my gut and investigated. Even just a 1 minute check they’d done the MOT at the time. 

1 minute ago, Andyorch said:

How long was remaining on the MOT at time of purchase ? 

2 months. 

Website states

Prepared to the highest standards

All of our used vehicles are inspected and prepared to one of two standards, Approved or Value, by fully trained technicians using our 123-point check. Every vehicle has a minimum of 6 months MOT remaining at the time of preparation and receives a full mechanical inspection.

1 hour ago, dx100uk said:

one chance to repair else refund time 

I have rang the garage every day this week, mostly not getting through just rings. I have left my contact details. Been fobbed off with that I need to speak to a manger who is always unavailable when I did get through. 

It is now booked in with a local garage for today as I cannot wait any longer to see if they offer the repair. 

I have to work. I am a bank nurse for NHS. I have 3 night shifts from tonight. If I don’t work I don’t get paid, and would financially be even worse off.

Edited by KefteK

You will have a hard time getting your money back if you go ahead and get it repaired,

10k miles is heavy use and you might find it hard to convince the retailer it was in such bad order at purchase and you've not thus contributed to the failure,

it might well also be a hard job to prove an mgot by them at purchase, had they done one, would have shown the issue.

They might only offer part payment.

Dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Good news.

After not hearing back found they had a complaints procedure. Emailed and explained. 

Today had a phone call - huge apologies - services section of Evans Halshaw had billed for MOT on sale but never done it and salesman was absolutely mortified. So - full reimbursement of invoice for work + MOT. 

Well done I thought it would be a oversight,  my car is from Evans Halshaw and I find their customer service second to none :classic_happy:

Topic title updated.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• AndyOrch changed the title to Evans Halshaw - sold car short MOT ***Resolved***

hey thats a result.

dx

and they