• Tweets

• I (and other respondents) always advise “not getting caught in a lie” it hardens their response. Why would they now believe protestations of remorse and “I won’t do it again” if they've already seen you'd lie and say it was a one-off when it wasn't..  You can try approaching the prosecutor on the day, but "I wouldn't hold my breath" …..  
    • I told them that it was an accident and that I used the oyster card as my debit card was lost. However, they did an investigation and realised it was not a one off. I have told them how remorseful I feel and how a criminal conviction would result in expulsion from my degree but they still want to take me to court. I have received the court summons letter
    • 20 million quid on just the brokering fee for a crappy deal with the UK public hocked to pay more for PPE - which was probably useless with better and cheaper per item with no 20 million quid fee - available from alibaba Stinks of corruption to me.  
    • Breaking News Biden wins Kennedy family endorsement Fifteen members of the storied Kennedy political family endorsed U.S. President Joe Biden at a Philadelphia campaign event on Thursday, with some joining him onstage, in a rebuke of Robert F. Kennedy Jr's independent bid for the White House. and 30 members in the extended Kennedy family   nytimes.com WWW.NYTIMES.COM Kennedys endorse Biden over their relative RFK Jr WWW.BBC.CO.UK Robert F Kennedy Jr is running for president as an independent - but many family members oppose him. More than a dozen Kennedy family members endorse Biden, snub RFK Jr. | CBC News WWW.CBC.CA President Joe Biden accepted endorsements from at least 15 members of the Kennedy political family during a campaign stop...  
    • Speaking of Frost and Johnson the corrupt liars' grate deal they forced through   Shortages of life saving medicines has become ‘new normal’ for UK after Brexit WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK ‘The medicines supply chain is broken at every level,’ warns Dr Leyla Hannbeck   "Professor Tamara Hervey, of the City Law School, said: “There is nothing inevitable about this ‘new normal’ where Great Britain is isolated in efforts to manage fragilities in global supply of the products and people we need to run the NHS. It is the consequence of policy choices and those could be different.”     Mind you, the private sector is making hays while the NHS is burned. Private health insurance market grows by £385m in a year amid NHS crisis | Private healthcare | The Guardian WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM Demand for private treatment booms as NHS waiting lists remain long, while more people also sign up for dental cover  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

mortgage redemption penalties

groovycaz
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5367 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

:mad: Has anyone else come across this daylight robbery, I took out a very small mortgage with the lancashire mortgage co in 01. The loan was for £7500 over 180 months at £122.29 per month, the APR 24.62%. I paid 32 payments of £122.29 on time, without any penalties. I remortgaged to a much better rate in sept 03 with the Abbey and asked for a redemption figure around march 03, cant remember the exact figure, however 6-7 months payments later when the time came to redeem the figure was something like £350 more than the previous figure quoted £9,650.30, so my £7500 loan cost me £13,565,30 over 32 months.

I wrote to the Lancashire mortgage co to question these figures and this is the reply.

Your loan was for £7500 taken over a 15 year term. This loan being under £25.000-00, is regulated by the consumer credit act. This act provides us with the calculations which we must use when compiling a settlement figure.

In essence, on a 15 year loan assuming all payments made on time, a settlement figure will rise in the early part of the loan. At the time the loan was redeemed you were only 2.5 years into a 15 year loan. Hense the settlement figure was slightly higher than the figure quoted to you 6-7 months previously. I hope this answeres your query.

Can any one tell me if this is legal or have I been ripped off big time.

Any feedback would be most appreciated:?

Sounds to me like they have thrown in some hidden settlement charges in addition to the redemption penalty. Have you checked your t's and c's to see what the clauses are for terminating the loan before term?

I would go back to them and ask them to explain properly the exact breakdown and a proper laymen explanation as to why, when you have paid more towards the loan, the settlement had increased? Seems completely illogical to me!

Lived through bankruptcy to tell the tale! Worked in various industries and studied law at university. All advice is given in good faith only :)

Just read through my t's and c's and the only terms which relate to the discharge of the loan is

The borrower may discharge the indebtness at any time by paying the balance of the total loan and intrest outstanding at the date of payment together with a further sum equal to the amount of intrest which would have been charged after the date of payment if this agreement had continued without variation and if all repayments due after the date of payment had been made on the due dates after deducting a rebate to the borrower calculated under the Consumer Credit [Rebate on early settlement] regulations 1983. The term previous to this states, Payments made by the borrower may be credited first to capital or interest outstanding under this agreement at the discretion of the lender, so really as they never sent me a yearly statement I dont know how they reached the settlement figure. I will take your advise and write to them for a breakdown of their charges. Thanks for that

• 2 years later...
:mad: Has anyone else come across this daylight robbery, I took out a very small mortgage with the lancashire mortgage co in 01. The loan was for £7500 over 180 months at £122.29 per month, the APR 24.62%. I paid 32 payments of £122.29 on time, without any penalties. I remortgaged to a much better rate in sept 03 with the Abbey and asked for a redemption figure around march 03, cant remember the exact figure, however 6-7 months payments later when the time came to redeem the figure was something like £350 more than the previous figure quoted £9,650.30, so my £7500 loan cost me £13,565,30 over 32 months.

I wrote to the Lancashire mortgage co to question these figures and this is the reply.

Your loan was for £7500 taken over a 15 year term. This loan being under £25.000-00, is regulated by the consumer credit act. This act provides us with the calculations which we must use when compiling a settlement figure.

In essence, on a 15 year loan assuming all payments made on time, a settlement figure will rise in the early part of the loan. At the time the loan was redeemed you were only 2.5 years into a 15 year loan. Hense the settlement figure was slightly higher than the figure quoted to you 6-7 months previously. I hope this answeres your query.

Can any one tell me if this is legal or have I been ripped off big time.

Any feedback would be most appreciated:?

Hi GC

I know you haven't updated this thread for a while but you did post something on my Future Mortgages thread so thought I would pop in and assist if needed!

The £9,650 quoted above would be the Rebate on the interest you are entitled to.

Total loan would be (180 * 122.29 = £22,012.20), less rebate using R78 of £9,690 less payments already made (32 * 122.29 = £3,913) leaves a settlement figure of £8,408!

Based on the information you have provided they have overcharged you about £1,300.

As the loan is regulated by the CCA the Consumer Credit [Rebate on early settlement] regulations 1983 were applicable this would use the Rule of 78 calculation which is what it looks like they have attempted to do but got it horribly wrong!

I would be inclined to get this money back asap.

If you need any help, let me know.

BobbyH

Thanks for the offer BobbyH

I think its about time I SAR'd them, what with your success and everything,

lucky for me, i've still got all paperwork relating to the loan so will be picking your brains over the next couple of weeks if thats ok

thanks again and very well done...Gc

• 1 month later...

SAR gone out to Lancashire Mortgage Corp will update when i receive a reply..but as they are part of Blemain i wont hold my breath...and my settlement had to be paid to another company called Prime Business Loans or they would not release the deeds for my remortgage....pleased i've started the ball rolling on this one again...thanks Bobby

• 3 weeks later...

Decided to write to Mr Howard laddin, this is the guy who replied to my original complaint last year with clap trap answer's...I've demanded a refund within 14 days or concrete proof that the settlement figure I had to pay to release my deeds was correct or I'm complaining to the relevant governing body and commencing court action....the only trouble with this lot is that they did'nt come under the remit of the FOS when I took out my "mortgage" as I've allready tried to complain to them, I believe its the leasing and finance who would handle my complaint....I need to be quick on this one as 6 years is up in sept....my letter went recorded delivery last week and up to now no reply which is no supprise...Gc

And my solicitor was instructed to pay the balance to a company called prime business loans, who i have had no dealings with and they did not reply when questioned who this company are and why i had to pay them money...Gc

This is the CCA and other info

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z274/joshsam03/DSCF0344-1.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z274/joshsam03/DSCF0346.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z274/joshsam03/DSCF0342-1.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z274/joshsam03/DSCF0347-1.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z274/joshsam03/DSCF0345-1.jpg

can anyone please advise me whether their calculations are correct, they are directing me towards their acting solicitors as regards to costs yet I borrowed £7500 but only received £6500 as the other £1000 was for their costs, I still have all my bank statements showing payments and amount they deposited into my account...many thanks Gc

Bumping

can anyone advise please..I know the figures are wrong.

they are directing me to their acting Sols but the CCA i signed was with them and i only have until the 8th sept then the 6 year limitation's up

many thanks Gc

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-consumer-issues/52933-mortgage-redemption-penalties.html

Hi all, sorry i started my thread in the "General Consumer Issues" instead of Mortgage an Secured loans, time is running out for me to try and get this sorted out as 6 years is up next month. I've requested a mod move my thread over, however in the meantime if anyone could take their time and have a quick look (link above) any advise would be very appreciated...Gc

Hi - looking at the screen print it seems they weren't backward at charging for settlement. I can't get over them charging:

1 Discharge fee £58.75

2 Deeds release fee £117.50 (isn't this what the discharge fees is for?)

3 Collection charge £176.25

4 Legal & Doc fee £450 (isn't this a deeds release, sorry discharge fee?)

Curiously the Legal and Doc fee is less than you agreed to in the Disbursement Authority signed on 22nd August. I guess we should be grateful for that (sic).

The FSA has decreed that the actual costs involved in discharging security and releasing deeds is approximately £50 so I'd say you've been royally shafted here. Adding insult to injury the APR is scandalous and variable to boot.

Looking at your figures the loan cost you £6054 over and above the £7500 they loaned to you. This equates to £189 per month or 30% of the loan per annum, which is way more than a credit card would have cost - scandalous!

I think you'd need to know exactly what each of their extra charges was for. Under the current MCOB regulations you need to be advised of all related fees before you sign any mortgage agreements but I'm not sure this was a requirement back in 2000, but it certainly should have been.