Private school demands Fees in lieu of notices ***Settled***

neoinwales
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 617 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone,

My daughter has been offered a place (Y7) at a private school.

The school also offers her 20% scholarships because of her academic and music talents.

But my business has been seriously affected by the Covid-19. It becomes not viable to send her to the private school.

I told the school that we are now facing financial difficulty and decide to withdraw her acceptance.

However, the school bursar told us that we need to pay one term's fee in lieu of notice because we haven't given one full term's notice.

Any advice is much appreciate.

Kind regards,

Neo

Welcome to the forum.

Have you signed anything agreeing to Mr Bursars demands in line with his terms and conditions?  BY acceptance did that involve agreeing to their terms and conditions ?

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

6 minutes ago, Andyorch said:

Welcome to the forum.

Have you signed anything agreeing to Mr Bursars demands in line with his terms and conditions?  BY acceptance did that involve agreeing to their terms and conditions ?

Andy

Thanks Andy for the reply. Yes I did. At the time we were planning to send her to the private school. Until recent months, my tourism business is worsen. My wife is the main source of incomes for the whole family 🙃 

the school bursar told us that we need to pay one term's fee in lieu of notice because we haven't given one full term's notice.

And you have checked your agreement small print and this is correct  ?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

18 minutes ago, Andyorch said:

And you have checked your agreement small print and this is correct  ?

Unfortunately Yes. But, would the school be able to waive the fees or reduce the sum as the term starts in almost 2 months? They might have another new student to fit my daughter's place. 

My current financial difficulty is genuine. I believe Covid-19 has given hardships to many people. 

I personally would go into the school and have a face to face...explain the situation and that you simply cant afford it nor pay it and therefore you will leave it in their hands to decide what further action they wish to take. Inform them that you feel that its an unfair term of the agreement and due to unforeseen circumstances finances will not allow during this climate and cost of living.

If you could pay a full term in lieu your daughter would be able to attend and hopefully your business takes an upturn before the next payment is due for the following term...but that's a lot of ifs and buts and not something you can possibly budget for looking ahead.

I wouldn't worry about it proceeding to litigation....they have incurred no loss and therfore no cause of action. State of the Country at the moment I doubt a Judge would force you pay private school fees in lieu rather than keep your head above water with the cost of living.

Arrange a meet and post back with how it transpires.

The private school's fees include the cost of all books, lunches, routine educational trips and pupils' personal accident insurance. The school also charged £500 deposit (payable on acceptance of a place). But it states the deposit is refundable against the last school invoice prior to the pupil leaving. 

Can we ask the school to waive off those costs and deposit too? 

3 minutes ago, Andyorch said:

I personally would go into the school and have a face to face...explain the situation and that you simply cant afford it nor pay it and therefore you will leave it in their hands to decide what further action they wish to take. Inform them that you feel that its an unfair term of the agreement and due to unforeseen circumstances finances will not allow during this climate and cost of living.

If you could pay a full term in lieu your daughter would be able to attend and hopefully your business takes an upturn before the next payment is due for the following term...but that's a lot of ifs and buts and not something you can possibly budget for looking ahead.

I wouldn't worry about it proceeding to litigation....they have incurred no loss and therfore no cause of action. State of the Country at the moment I doubt a Judge would force you pay private school fees in lieu rather than keep your head above water with the cost of living.

Arrange a meet and post back with how it transpires.

Thanks Andy for the very constructive advice. I will surely ask the school's admin office to get us an appointment with Mr Bursar. 

Well its a case of you cant afford it so they will have to......nothing to be ashamed of...your not doing this intentionally and I'm sure your daughter is heartbroken.

Only you can pay them they cant make you pay them its whether you will stand your ground or do as Mr Bursar commands you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Andyorch said:

Well its a case of you cant afford it so they will have to......nothing to be ashamed of...your not doing this intentionally and I'm sure your daughter is heartbroken.

Only you can pay them they cant make you pay them its whether you will stand your ground or do as Mr Bursar commands you.

Actually she doesn't mind going to local high school as nearly of all her friends go to that school. Maybe I am wrong. But, I feel letting her down a little. 

Just quick update.

The school's bursar will retain the deposit, which is £500, instead of one term's fee. 

We are pleased with the outcome as it takes huge burdens off our shoulders. 

:thumb: Topic title amended.

Pleased that this has been resolved to your satisfaction.

Andy

• Andyorch changed the title to Private school demands Fees in lieu of notices ***Settled***