Missy V ARGOS Card Services

missy

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4835 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I sent a letter on the 16 Nov asking for a list of all transactions and charges on my account since the account was opened, I think around 1993-4.

Recieved a reply today which went like this:

Dear Mr xxxxxxxxx

RE: Argos card account number; xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I refer to your letter concerning the default fees on your account.

As referred to in your letter, the OFT has issued a statement following its review of eight credit card providers. The OFT's statement sets out its view of the principle credit card issuers (not store card issuers) should follow in setting default charges. As a store card provider we have not been involved in the discussions between the credit card companies and the OFT.

In managing your account, you have failed to make payments, or the correct payments as they fell due on a number of occasions resulting to £ 105.00 being charged to your account since 2005. As part of having an Argos card, you are responsible for making the required payments on time and we have the right to recover from you the costs incurred by us dealing with your default if you fail to make a payment when it falls due. Had we charged the £12 fee referred to in the OFT's report on credit cards the difference in your fees would have been just £33.00 in total.

We value our relationship with our customers and always endeavour to resolve queries and complaints as positively as possible. Having reviewed your account, for the reasons stated above, we are unable to offer you a refund of fees however as a gesture of goodwill we are prepared to offer you £50 to be credited to your account. Our offer is made without admission of liability and in full settlement of all claims you may have against us in relation to the default fees on your account.

If you wish to accept this offer please sign, and date the attached copy letter and return it to us within 14 days of the date of this letter. If we receive your written acceptance within this period, we will credit your account immediately.

For future reference, we do offer a direct debit facility when a store card account is opened and many customers find this a helpful way of ensuring that payments are made on time and no default fees incurred. In order to help you manage your payments and avoid future default fees on your account we suggest that you consider setting up a direct debit facility. We will be

happy to do this for you if you call our Customer Service team on 0870909 1110.

We hope you find this outcome satisfactory and thank you for shopping with Argos.

Yours sincerely

Val Phillips

Customer Service Manager

Argos Card Services

Signed.............................. Dated...........................

-------------------------end of letter--------------------------

I found the arrogance of it astounding. I phoned them to inform them that what I got was not what I asked for but all I got was passed round 4 different departments and made to wait for ages, all on a 0870 number. I gave up in the end and I will write instead.

Any comments on the above letter would be appreciated.

missy

This is the usual standard fob off letter. Its up to you whether or not to accept but If it were me, I would press for every penny back as its your money not theirs. Anyway, you have just reminded me that I used to have an Argos card a couple of years ago and paid it off. I am going to try and dig out the paperwork and send my SAR to them too.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Missy, I received exactly the same letter from the same Val Phillips. She obviously did not read the OFT's recomendation re all overdarfts, mortgages and store cards penalty fees.

Had they charged the £12 fee, the difference in my penalties would have been 'just' (grrrr) £60.50. They won't mind paying me just £60.50 extra on top of their goodwill gesture of £90 when I file on the 24th then:lol: :lol: :lol: plus £39 court fee plus £10 SAR oh & then there's the interest too...

Val Phillips

Customer Service Manager

Arg Card Services

Royal Avenue

Widnes

WA88 1AA

• 1 year later...

Here you go matty http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/182-6-interest-calculation-spreadsheets.html However I strongly suggest you read some of the longer threads so you will know how to proceed and not make any mistakes.

go get 'em Missy. :p

If my advice has been helpful tip the scales

West brom SETTLED

Halifax current SETTLED IN FULL

halifax curent (2nd) stayed. Visa - SETTLED

2nd visa LBA sent

halifax for the 3rd time. LBA sent

Egg - SETTLED GE Money - SETTLED Barclaycard SETTLED twice

Sainsbury's - Awaiting court date

Co-op cc SETTLED IN FULL 2nd claim. Settled in full

National Westminster Settled in full. 2nd claim. N1 submitted

HFC bank SETTLED. HFC 2nd claim - lba sent 21/10/08 Time Retail N1 filed Argos settled in full Creation - SETTLED IN FULL

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/store-cards/128128-me-argos.html is not very long but it does show you how I got on and includes a link to another argos thread I found useful.

Just look for any other threads with the words 'argos' and if they have more than 15 strands that might prove helpful.

If my advice has been helpful tip the scales

West brom SETTLED

Halifax current SETTLED IN FULL

halifax curent (2nd) stayed. Visa - SETTLED

2nd visa LBA sent

halifax for the 3rd time. LBA sent

Egg - SETTLED GE Money - SETTLED Barclaycard SETTLED twice

Sainsbury's - Awaiting court date

Co-op cc SETTLED IN FULL 2nd claim. Settled in full

National Westminster Settled in full. 2nd claim. N1 submitted

HFC bank SETTLED. HFC 2nd claim - lba sent 21/10/08 Time Retail N1 filed Argos settled in full Creation - SETTLED IN FULL