Ryanair - getting your taxes back?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5153 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have just drafted the following letter, but 2 questions are puzzling me!

Ryan Air Corporate Head Office

Dublin Airport

Co Dublin

Eire.

14th December 2006.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Flight: FR9698 Monday 27th November 2006 (Blackpool to Girona)

Flight: FR9697 Wednesday 29th November 2006 (Girona to Blackpool)

I am writing to request a refund of fees as listed below. Myself and my travelling companion were unable to make this flight. As per EU legislation I am requesting these fees be returned to me as they were not incurred by Ryanair.

Payment details:

£31.24 GBP Taxes, Fees & Charges

£ 8.72 GBP Aviation / WCHR Levy

Total £39.96.

(bad copy and paste coming up!) In the event your response will go on to state your administration charges, I will require a full breakdown of how this charge is made up so I can deduce whether or not these fees are unduly and unlawfully enriching the company. I sincerely hope this will not be the case, however if I have not heard back from you within 14 days I shall write again giving a further14 days notice of my lodging litigation in the County Court, Yours Sincerely,

With the company address being in Dublin - is this going to make it impossible to claim? (assuming they'd give me the admin spiel)

If not does anybody know the directive number for claiming back airport tax etc??

Thanks.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it's possible to take ryan air to court in England because if the wheelchair fiasco (when they now charge everyone for wheel chairs as a tax) you seem to be doing the correct thing, you just need to find the correct address in england to firstly write to and then issue the court claim.

Try companies house website as every company that operates in the UK has to have a registered office on there.

Thanks, my case about bmi was the fact that they wanted to charge £50 to administer the refund and I said that it was unreasonable (taking the unfair bank charges template)

They may charge an 'administration fee' (which if it's over £5) is excessive imo- £50 in my case. This is when you take action to take them to court and they have to prove that these 'administration fees' are a reasonable fee for a service otherwise they constitute a punitive charge.

Direct action with the courts is often the most efficient way to deal with these leeches.

In my case they settled out of court and strongly denied they were punitive charges but I got all my money back just before court date.

Once again, don't listen to idiots on here who have strong opinions to the contrary.

M

OK peeps, I must deal with this the morra. I will do as Magzy suggests, but in an attempt of laziness - does anyone have ANY UK address I can communicate with/file with? Of course i'm asuming they'll lie through thier back teeth..... its what they do best.

This is new ground to me, but I figure its money/justice in the bag?

All i've got to do is prove thier admin fees are a load of bolony... right????

• 1 month later...
Hi,

I have just drafted the following letter, but 2 questions are puzzling me!

Ryan Air Corporate Head Office

Dublin Airport

Co Dublin

Eire.

14th December 2006.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Flight: FR9698 Monday 27th November 2006 (Blackpool to Girona)

Flight: FR9697 Wednesday 29th November 2006 (Girona to Blackpool)

I am writing to request a refund of fees as listed below. Myself and my travelling companion were unable to make this flight. As per EU legislation I am requesting these fees be returned to me as they were not incurred by Ryanair.

Payment details:

£ 8.72 GBP Aviation / WCHR Levy

Total £39.96.

(bad copy and paste coming up!) In the event your response will go on to state your administration charges, I will require a full breakdown of how this charge is made up so I can deduce whether or not these fees are unduly and unlawfully enriching the company. I sincerely hope this will not be the case, however if I have not heard back from you within 14 days I shall write again giving a further14 days notice of my lodging litigation in the County Court, Yours Sincerely,

With the company address being in Dublin - is this going to make it impossible to claim? (assuming they'd give me the admin spiel)

If not does anybody know the directive number for claiming back airport tax etc??

Thanks.

hello i boked with rayn air on the 9 jan due to go on the 24 jan but now im not well and can not travel so im goin to try to claim back the tax,s would u mind letting me know how u get on with your.s :?:

You could try this one:

RYANAIR UK LIMITED

SATELITE 3

LONDON STANSTED AIRPORT

STANSTED

ESSEX CM24 1RW

Company No. 01917579

• Haha 1

___

MBNA VISA - PL sent 23/10

MBNA MCard - PL sent 23/10

FD - PL sent 23/10, offered approx 75% 27/10

Marbles - PL sent 23/10, rejected letter received 27/10

You should be aware that Ryanair charge an administration fee for refunding taxes and charges. I've never had the pleasure but I understand that the admin charge is not specified.

Lloyds TSB, Total Charges £900, Claim Filed for £1379 - Settled

Sainsbury's Bank Credit Card, Total Charges £90 - Settled.

We are aware they charge an admin fee. The point is if it's not reasonable and in line with their costs, it's unlawful.

___

MBNA VISA - PL sent 23/10

MBNA MCard - PL sent 23/10

FD - PL sent 23/10, offered approx 75% 27/10

Marbles - PL sent 23/10, rejected letter received 27/10

Ryanair UK LTD

Satelite 3

London Stanstead Airport

Stanstead

Essex

CM24 1RW.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Re: Flight FR9698 Monday 27th November 2006Blackpool to Girona

Re: Flight FR9697 Wednesday 29th November 2006 Girona to Blackpool

I am writing to request a refund of fees as listed below. My travelling companion and I were unable to make this flight. As per EU legislation I am requesting these fees are returned to me as they were not incurred by Ryanair.

Payment details

£ 8.72 GBP Aviation/WCHR Levy

£39.96 Total.

In the event your response will go on to state your administration charges, and in the event these would incur £39.96 worth of charges, I will require a full breakdown of how these charges are calculated. I will require such information for the purposes of:;

A) Ascertaining Ryanair is not unduly enriching itself, and is indeed recuperating its own costs, and;

B) For court use should there be no tangible solution between us.

Due to the potential nature of this request, I am granting Ryanair 14 days in which to respond.

Yours Sincerely,

Mr T.

Changed it a little. If anyone thinks it could/should be tweaked please shout!

Otherwise it goes tomorrow:)

We are aware they charge an admin fee. The point is if it's not reasonable and in line with their costs, it's unlawful.

I should have read further up before commenting, sorry.

Lloyds TSB, Total Charges £900, Claim Filed for £1379 - Settled

Sainsbury's Bank Credit Card, Total Charges £90 - Settled.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm jumping the gun a tad, but I want to be prepared - and I'm not expecting a reply anytime soon, if any.

LBA prepped for the 6th.

6th February 2007

Re: Flight FR9698 Monday 27th November 2006Blackpool to Girona

Re: Flight FR9697 Wednesday 29th November 2006 Girona to Blackpool

Payment details

£ 8.72 GBP Aviation/WCHR Levy

£39.96 Total.

LETTER BEFORE ACTION

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am very disappointed that you have failed to respond to my letter of the 23rd January 2007. I expect Ryanair to verify its position on this matter. I require either a refund of the above fees, or an admission they have been allocated for administration charges.

In the event you go on to reply these monies have been used for administration I will require;

A) In the event your administration fees are less than your costs, a reason why the difference has not been refunded.

B) In the event your administration fees exceed the above amount, a reason why I was not invoiced for the difference.

C) In the event your administration fees happen to be exactly £39.96, a written clarification this is the case.

D) In any of these events I will require full documented proof, breaking down all costs to clearly highlight all expenses incurred by Ryanair.

I require repayment in full of this money. If you do not comply fully within 14 days then I shall begin a claim against you for the full amount plus interest pursuant to S.69 County Courts Act 1984 from date of issue, plus my costs and without further notice.

Yours Sincerely,

I really hope I don't file, and its thrown out because of the address issue. We shall see (unless the unlikely happens).

I am a fish out of water here so any help is much appreciated. Does statutory interest still apply? I figure it would, but would love to know for sure:-| !! I'd also love to hear any suggestions to changing the above letter.

Thanks.

Why are you claiming under s7 & 13 of DPA? :-?

Stat interest of 8% does apply, yes, as it is the interest you could have earned on the money if you had been able to invest it, and of which you were potentially deprived while they hold on to it, does that make sense?

Reply from Ryanair:

Without Prejudice

Following your recent request for a refund of the taxes paid on your unused

Ryanair booking confirmation number JNSFAF

Applications for tax refunds are subject to an administration charge per

passenger. Please note that all other fees and charges, such as the passenger

service charge, aviation insurance and credit & debit card handling fees are non

refundable as per our General Conditions of Carriage.

Unfortunately, no refund is due in this instance as the administration charge

exceeds the tax refund amount.

Yours sincerely,

Ryanair Customer Services

OK, I guess I should be thanking them for not asking for the rest of the admin charge!

I cannot believe it costs them £40 to refund you your taxes. I reckon how ever much you claimed back for taxes - their admin fee would coincidentally be higher! As a matter of principle,I would pursue this - how can 40 squids be lawful - it must cost them a fiver tops!

They are amusing aren't they! I actually don't feel there is any admin involved in my not turning up for the flight - but maybe an issue re loss of profits. I know the flight would have been half empty and the seat cost was 1p before non incurred taxes.:)