• Tweets

• The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The firm has benefited from the AI boom, making it the third-most valuable company in the US.View the full article
    • Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Chetwood Financial - Ombudsman (Advice)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 621 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi - Im looking for some advice - I have recently had a complaint rejected which went to the Ombudsman. I had 2 loans with Chetwood 1 for 11.5 taken out in 2019 and 1 for 12.9k taken out 2021 (These are with same company but one is Live Lend and 1 is Betterborrow) They have come back today with on offer on the Betterborrow loan only as below:

• Remove the interest paid to date.
  • Refund the interest at 8%.
  • Stop the interest going forwards.
  •  

Would it be better for me to reject this offer and ask for both loans to be assessed as one as feel if i accept and ask ombudsman to rule on just the live lend that weakens my case as they cant take the whole situation into account? I asked the Ombudsman what they would normally advise company to do if loan is upheld and they advised:

• To add up the total amount of money you received as a result of having been given all the loan. The repayments you made should be deducted from this amount.

a) If this results in you having paid more than you received, any over-payments should be refunded along with 8% simple interest (calculated from the date the over-payments were made until the date of settlement).
b) If any capital balance remains outstanding, then Chetwood should attempt to arrange an affordable and suitable payment plan with you.

• To remove any negative information recorded on your credit file relating to the loan.

So to me it sounds like Betterborrow have offered pretty much that but im not sure if its a tactic they are doing so i accept and then it weakens the Livelend claim thus not having it all done together, on the other hand if i reject their offer and the ombusdman rules against then i would have nothing.

Any advice is appreciated on if accepting 1 impacts the other or should i just ask Ombusdman to assess the lot and they will likely rule the betterborrow on anyway on slightly better terms - The interest on both is around 10k each so its quite a big decision.

so you made an irresponsible lending complaint to the original lender(s) about both loans??

we cant guess the back story...

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi

Yes and it was rejected

however my question is more to do with the offer from Chetwood v what the Ombudsman would decide/rule as to what would be best which is what i have put in the post but

if you would like more information to help i'm happy to supply it but in short i want to know if the offer they have made is what i should take or reject and allow Ombudsman to rule but as i see it there isnt much difference.

They wont offer anything on the Livelend which the Ombudsman will rule on anyway so its a case do i reject and send both?

Thanks

if they have or are going to offer that on both loans, then you are correct, the FOS wont get you anything better typically/

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi - They are only offering it on the betterborrow one therefore do i accept the offer on betterborrow and the ombudsman will still decide the live lend as they wont offer anything on that one?

I just didnt know if there was any impact by accepting 1 and allowing the other for Ombudsman to rule or if i should get Ombudsman just to do both at same time?

They said if they do it then they would ask for

b) If any capital balance remains outstanding, then Chetwood should attempt to arrange an affordable and suitable payment plan with you.

• To remove any negative information recorded on your credit file relating to the loan.

look forward to response 

if you complained about both loans in the same complaint, they are conjoined and the whole complaint needs to be resolved not half.

if you individually complained, then each is a differing complaint and bar being the same lender as such, might not be ruled upon the same.

however i doubt it.

both will result the same.

dx

and they

Ok - They are with the same company Chetwood so i guess it makes sense to take their offer for betterborrow so thats locked in and allow the live lend to be decided by Ombudsman as i could run the risk of the Ombudsman ruling against both - I dont think that would happen as they wouldnt have offered on the one they have but was worried if i accepted the offer on Betterborrow it would impact my overall complaint but in reality they will rule on them separately regardless i take it as different transactions and circumstances for each one.

I guess the risk isnt worth taking for betterborrow as the offer is on table to refund the interest and ensure no more is applied so basically makes it an interest free loan i would say

i really dont understand what you are worried about hence my questions

the FOS will not over rule a favourable decision which is inline with their guidelines anyway.

dx

and they

The concern i have is that the betterborrow is an offer and if i reject then the ombudsman may decide that it wasnt irresponsible etc which then means i get nothing back.

I have 2 loans with Chetwood (live lend and betterborrow) and they are only offering the wiping of interest and giving it back on 1 of them (betterborrow) however the Ombudsman has advised if they ruled in my favour they would also have to update my credit file and agree an affordable repayment plan which they havent offered in their offer.

So in summary the live lend will be ruled by the FOS anyway as they wont offer anything but its the case of do i just accept the betterborrow offer now and wait for the Livelend decision or reject it and allow the FOS to review both

typically updating CRA files after a successful complaint means its wiped clean.

if there is already a defaulted date registered on or/each, then even if they don't remove them, it will still be removed on the defaulted dates 6th b'day regardless to paying or not or paid off or not. and nothing they put will further harm you. if they are already defaulted.

i hark back to what i've said, if you complained about both loans together in the same complaint,, then the whole complaint needs resolving 1st before you need to except a partial resolution and you simply inform parties of your that.

and they

Yeah i complained about chetwood as a companyt even those the loans are with 2 of their different companies (ie betterborrow and livelend)

There are no defaults so thats fine.

The FOS have asked if i want to accept the offer for betterborrow and i can still continue with my live lend claim and they will assess that as the loans were taken out different dates 2019 live lend and 2021 betterborrow so do i just reject it and ask them to review both at the same time with the FOS

Sorry if im not getting my point across well but i just want to ensure whatever i do is the right thing as at the moment i have the betterborrow on the table as an interest free loan but still obvs have to pay capital back which i understand but if i reject their offer the FOS might rule against me and then means i have nothing or is it the fact they have made that offer the FOS will rule that one in the findings anyway so might as well get them to do both at same time?

you will not get a better offer on the settled loan through the FOS as the OC has abided by their published recommendations already. 

• Like 1

and they