Trade in gift card used not the way it meant to be - problems?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 631 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I read few old posts but I couldn't find an answer.

Story: 

Currys has been running a promotion since last year where if you trade in any device you get it's value + extra bonus when you buy specific products.

For example: old samsung phone is valued £3 but if you buy newest samsung smartphone they give additional £100 on a gift card - in total £103.

I came back home, looked at gift card that I got for my old phone, it looked normal like any other and out of curiosity I used it to buy something else - not the product that was giving additional bonus of £100....... and it worked!

I told my friend about it and he traded in his old phone, got gift card and bought something else - not the phone that gave him additional £100 bonus.

But after few days he got an email that his order was cancelled by the "back end team" and his gift card was now £0. He didn't sent all £100.

He rang customer services and they said someone names A. Ramirez used the card. My friend name isn't A.Ramirez. 

Do you think Currys realized their promotion has flawn and "trade in gift card" they issue work as normal one and can be used to buy anything?

Would this be treated as fraud? if yes how to fix it?

1 hour ago, mantis shrimp said:

Maybe they listened to your advice not to give away the goods too soon. 

Hi, thanks for comment. I'm not sure I understand. Who listened me? Currys or friend?

Let me repeat because I'm afraid we both will get RLP claims or will end up sued.

1. Promotion gives extra £££ when you trade in and buy specific product (eligiblity product).

2. Gift cards issued by Currys staff in store worked on any other products, not only the advertised one. 

3. I bought something and have it at home but I feel guilty now.

4. My friend, after hearing my lucky story, bought something too but it was cancelled by Currys Back End Teambefore dispaching and his gift card remianing balance was empited by them (since he used it on product that isn't included in promo).

Have we done wrong? Can we fix it? Will they be after us?

Edited by SuzanneVega

4 hours ago, SuzanneVega said:

I'm afraid we both will get RLP claims

which are fake and can always be ignored totally!!

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

To answer the question whether Currys has a case against you, someone will need to analyse the detailed terms of the offer, anything you signed etc. 

This is not the shoplifting type of case that RLP pursues. If anything, Currys will pursue you, but I can't see this happening. You took advantage of a weakness in Currys' design of the particular promotion. The optics would not be good. 

I have the impression that your friend's gift card details may have been used fraudulently. Perhaps he should investigate it further with Currys. I am not sure he is right if his attitude is that you just don't argue any more. 

Edited by mantis shrimp

Thank you

Please explain your words "The optics would not be good". I'm very stressed and not thinking right, sorry. 

T&C are here: 

Each instore trade-in gift card says to use it to buy sepecfic product and that you can't use it towards airtime, certain phones or accessories but it also works on anything else. 

Here example of voucher 

currys voucher.pdf

PS. my friend rang customer services in front of me and his card was emptied by the same person that emptied mine. He got his vouchers from 2x different stores so instore theft by employee isn't valid in this case. 

It would not look good for Currys.

Anyway, I've finished up my coffee, it's time to catch the train. 

The voucher does not say that it may only be used on specified products. It says that one will be issued if you meet the trade in conditions, and that it may not be used for airtime or certain phones. There is nothing to say that you cannot use it to buy any other product. It's a one-time thing, it just happens. 

Thank you, You eased my stressed.

Also T&C don't say specifically you can't use it towards other items. 

I also returned one item I bought like that and they refunded me the entire value: what i paid + bonus I received (phone was £600 but I paid £500+£100 trade-in gift card, refund was entire £600).

3 hours ago, SuzanneVega said:

Thank you for your response. Have we done a bad thing? Would Currys have a case against us?
or

would court tell them their promotion had a mistake and they organise it wrong way?

No 

No.

Court nor nothing else can ever be involved.

Forget it 

Move on 

Dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

No!!

Dx

and they

11 hours ago, mantis shrimp said:

Unless Mr Scott has deceived Currys to take advantage of a term such as only one per customer. Otherwise, I'd like to give you the information you're asking for

There is no information about how many vouchers per customer. Sometimes I used my work or personal email.

11 hours ago, GreatScott said:

There is no information about how many vouchers per customer. Sometimes I used my work or personal email.

Instore

• Actual Trade-in value will vary dependant on device.

• Offer only available instore.

• If you trade-in your old item ('Device') you will be eligible to receive a trade-in value in the form of a Currys electronic gift card ('Gift Card').

• Only one eGift Card can be used to subsidise the transaction. Offer not available in conjunction with any other offer. Subject to availability.

• You will be deemed to have accepted these terms and conditions ('Conditions') when you provide us with the Device. If you have any questions relating to these Conditions please ask in store before completing the trade in process.

• You confirm you are either the owner of the Device or you have obtained express permission from the rightful owner to trade it in.

• The Device must not be stolen or listed with us or a third party as stolen. For some items (e.g. mobile phones) we will check the Device with CheckMEND, from the suppliers of IMMOBILISE as used by UK Police forces to trace stolen and missing property. If the Device fails any due diligence check we may notify the relevant police authority and we may pass the Device and your details to them and the eGift Card value may be cancelled or recovered.

• If the Device contains any additional accessories (eg. memory cards or additional console controllers), you must remove these prior to trade in. We will not be liable for any consequence of you not removing the accessories, including any payments associated with the Device.

• If there is data stored on the Device you wish to retain, it must be saved elsewhere and you must remove any memory card and/or all data that has been put onto the Device prior to trade-in. We will not be liable for any damage, loss or erasure of any such data or for any consequence of you not removing your data or memory card, including use or disclosure of such data.

• Once you have traded in the Device, it becomes our property and it will not be possible to retrieve it under any circumstances.

• These Conditions are governed by English Law.

• We reserve the right to amend the terms and conditions or discontinue the card at any time. This does not affect your statutory rights.

• Only one Gift Card can be used to subsidise the transaction. Offer not available in conjunction with any other offer. Subject to availability.

• Currys Group Limited, 1 Portal Way, London W3 6RS, registered in England, No.504877.

• Actual trade-in value will vary dependant on device.

• Offer only available for online.

• If you trade in your old item ('Device') you will be eligible to receive trade in value in the form of a bank transfer via BACS within 5 working days of us receiving and assessing your device.

• You will be deemed to have accepted these terms and conditions ('Conditions') when you provide us with the Device. Device must be sent to us within 14 days of receiving your quote.

• If the Device received does not completely match the description and detail as advised by you, we will contact you to give you the option either to have the Device returned to you at our cost, in which case no value will be paid to you, or proceed with the trade in at a new value advised to you. If you do not respond to this contact as advised therein within 7 working days, we will assume that you have accepted our revised offer and proceed with payment accordingly.

• You confirm you are either the owner of the Device or you have obtained express permission from the rightful owner to trade it in.

• The Device must not be stolen or listed with us or a third party as stolen. For some items we will check the Device with CheckMEND, from the suppliers of IMMOBILISE as used by UK Police forces to trace stolen and missing property. If the Device fails any due diligence check, we may notify the relevant police authority and we may pass the Device and your details to them and the payment may be cancelled or recovered.

• If the Device contains any additional accessories (e.g. memory cards), you must remove these prior to trade in. We will not be liable for any consequence of you not removing the accessories, including any payments associated with the Device.

• If there is data stored on the Device you wish to retain, it must be saved elsewhere, and you must remove any memory card and/or all data that has been put onto the Device prior to trade in. We will not be liable for any damage, loss or erasure of any such data or for any consequence of you not removing your data or memory card, including use or disclosure of such data.

• Once you have traded in the Device, it becomes our property and it will not be possible to retrieve it under any circumstances.

• These Conditions are governed by English Law.

• We reserve the right to amend the terms and conditions or discontinue the card at any time. This does not affect your statutory rights.

• Currys Group Limited, 1 Portal Way, London W3 6RS, registered in England, No.504877.

•  

Here how this gift card looked like (random example from internet but mine were the same)

currys gift card.pdf

Edited by dx100uk
unnecessary previous post quote removed

nothing to worry about 

no one can do anything

unless you not lost money forget about it.

dx

and they

Suzanne,

DX has already answered your questions, so there's no sense in me repeating that, but I do want to point out how much you're over-reacting to this issue.

You said yourself the gift card looked just like any other, so who's to say you didn't already have a Curry's gift card at home and mixed the two up? Curry's couldn't, or didn't know how, or simply didn't bother, to limit the gift card to specific product groups. They could have done that. Their failure to do so is not your issue.

Stop worrying and crack on with life. You are in no danger here.