Cancellation of tenancy

Signed up for a rental house recently on a 6 month tenancy agreement.

However, I am unable to move because of issues with my current tenancy agreement which prevent me from moving.

I want to cancel it but can;t find anything on the tenancy agreement regarding cancellation.

Please advise.

If you have not agreed to a date to move in, then the tenancy has not started yet. So you need to withdraw from the agreement.

If there are no terms about withdrawing/cancelling, then you just let the landlord/agent that you are unable to proceed with the tenancy.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Date to move in was agreed but not moved in. 

Will email landlord and request end to tenancy. 

Just worried that he will take me to court for it. Want to be prepared if that's the likely outcome. 

Without seeing what terms you agreed, difficult to say for sure.

If the start date to the tenancy has already passed, then up to you to negotiate withdrawal.  You may owe a sum related to the loss the landlord has suffered, as they will have incurred costs and face a period without rent while they search for a replacement tenant. And yes they could take you to Court related to loss, so be careful how you deal with this.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi

I agree with others comments.

The difficulty you now have is that you agreed a date and signed that New Tenancy Agreement for the other Rental Property and the issue with your present property is nothing to do with this New Rental Agreement that you have signed.

What you need to do is look fully at that New Rental Agreement for any Cancellation/Notice you must give but either way you need to contact that Landlord and try to negotiate to end that Tenancy Agreement and I an afraid their may be costs involved to do so as already pointed out from the Landlord having to find a New Tenant, loss of rental income, re-advertising the property so you need to be fully aware of this.

Negotiate with the Landlord is really your only option.

The issue with your present property that prevents you moving can you tell us more about this as you really should have been aware of this before signing that new agreement?

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group