Govia/Thameslink - no railcard on my new phone - notice to prosecute **RESOLVED**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 653 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, 

Ive been an idiot.

In May I was travelling on the Thameslink, with a ticket that had a 16-25 discount railcard applied.

When asked to show the railcard, i realised i didn’t have it on my phone as i had a new phone and didn’t have the app loaded.

I told the conductor and asked if i could pay the difference, but she said i would have to upload a screenshot of my railcard to a website once i got home.

When i got home, i realised my railcard had expired. I was so embarrassed, and worried that they would think i had purposely lied.

That night i bought a new railcard and uploaded that to the website as proof. 

I didn’t hear back, and then yesterday I got a letter with a notice to prosecute.

DThey asked me to write back explaining what happened, so I sent back a hurried note explaining and apologising but didn’t tell the full story about the expired railcard. 

I’ve been up all night sick with worry, and even more worried that I didn’t tell the truth again in my letter to them. 

Im looking for advice on if you think I should send another letter, or wait to see what happens next? 

Letter and reply attached here 

Photo.pdf

Some more information that I think is important to include.

I have anxiety that makes these sorts of situations increasingly stressful for me

. I was travelling home last minute during a stressful situation so I was already not in a a very good headspace.

When I realised my error, my anxiety stopped me from thinking sensibly and I uploaded the new railcard in a panic.

When I received the letter, I again became incredibly anxious and instead of stopping to think of a full reply, I replied as quickly as I could and posted the letter instantly. 

Youve made a simple human mistake, you should easy get an out of court settlement.

When did your previous card expire?

Dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I’m now even more confused. I couldn’t find any evidence of my railcard so assume it had expired. However I’ve just logged onto my railcard account and can see that I now have two active railcards, one that was valid for the date of my travel? I don’t know if the one valid until 09/22 is only valid because it was renewed? 

Railcards .pdf

good so you now have the evidence

they should drop this

just say you were having problems with your phone on the day

here is the evidence you require.

how do i get a refund on the new railcard that i did not need to purchase.

use the email address on the first letter.

next time stop panicking.

you know you do it, so STOP give things 24hrs then respond in any situation.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

So I should send them a letter explaining the situation, the confusion with the railcard, and the reason why my letter was rushed and didn’t include full info? 

Not panicking is definitely a skill I need to learn… 

Do the two railcards have different card numbers?

And is the name shown on the two cards the same, ie your name?

They are both shown as 1 year cards. The one that expires 04/05/23 is presumably the one you bought on 5th May 2022 after being stopped by the Thameslink revenue protection officer. So wasn't valid when you were stopped.

But the other one that expires 05/09/22 appears to have been valid on 5th May when you were stopped. As it's a one year card it presumably runs from 6th September 2021 to 5th September 2022. Does that sound right to you? Why did you think it had expired?

If it is still valid then all you are  'guilty' of is travelling without your 16-25 Railcard because you'd accidentally left it home on an old phone.

Explain that and they should drop the prosecution.

I’ve just found confirmation on my bank statement that I purchased the railcard on 7th September 2021. So yes, that would be valid until 5th September 2022. 

Im still worried that I lied, even though I didn’t have too!!

Would you be able to help me with my written reply?

I’m never good at explaining myself properly. I can include screenshots of the railcard and bank statement in my response. 

Thanks you so much. 

Oh and to answer, both cards have the same card number and the name shown on both cards is my name. 

I have drafted a response and would appreciate if someone could let me know if they thinks it’s suitable, and won’t make the situation any worse? 

Dear Officer, 

Apologies for the multiple pieces of correspondence. I would like to provide some further information regarding the case. 

Please take this as a full report on what occurred. On May 5th I was travelling on the Thameslink, with a ticket that had a 16-25 discount railcard applied. When asked to show the railcard, I realised I didn’t have it on my phone as I had a new phone and didn’t have the card transferred on the app.

I told the conductor and asked if i could pay the difference, but she said i would have to upload a screenshot of my railcard to a website once I got home.

When I got home I went to upload the picture and couldn’t find my railcard anywhere. As I mentioned I had a new phone, and didn’t have any past emails. I was so embarrassed, and worried that you would think I had purposely lied. Instead I panicked and bought a new railcard and uploaded that to the website as proof. 

I have an anxiety disorder that makes it hard for me to think rationally in stressful situations without become panicked and stressed. When I received the letter from you I panicked again and replied quickly without providing the full information.

I have been anxious all day about this, and decided to look at my railcard account to find out exactly what happened. In doing so I realised I did infact have a valid railcard for my time of travel. I have enclosed proof of both rail cards, the original and new one, and proof of purchase. I’m very confused about what happened and how this misunderstanding occurred, and I apologise profusely for the inconvenience and time taken. 

As mentioned in my previous email, I would be happy to pay any administration costs you have incurred due to my error and lapse in judgement. 

And how do I get a refund on my next year 

Before this incident when was the last time you legally used/showed and successfully used the old phone ?

I feel that letter is too long 

Dx

and they

Pers I wouldn't mention your anxiety nor the new phone issues to that extent 

You can now comply with what was asked, a screenshot of the valid pass .

Simply use their email ad, and put the case number in the subject line.

Don't put a 3 part harmony, simply state, as requested here is a screenshot of my valid pass, I hope this resolves our mutual issue and it is now closed .

I am sorry for any confusion caused, I sometimes have anxiety issues and what with owning a new phone I'm not yet 100% familiar with its differing operation .

Things got the better of me when I was stopped due to the things I mentioned in my last communication. I'm in a much better by place today 

I thank you for your time and understanding 

and they

Reverse of 1st tfl letter.??

and they

• dx100uk changed the title to Govia/Thameslink - no railcard on my new phone - notice to prosecute

sorry i see your issue is govia/thameslink not TfL.

you will have to write .

should be the end of it.

dx

and they

Okay thank you. I’ve redone the letter, do you think it’s still too long? I’m anxious about leaving out detail and making the situation worse. 

Dear Officer, 

Apologies for the multiple pieces of correspondence. I would like to provide some further information regarding the case. 

Please take this as a full report on what occurred. On May 5th I was travelling on the Thameslink, with a ticket that had a 16-25 discount railcard applied. When asked to show the railcard, I realised I hadn’t transferred the card to my new phone. I told the conductor and asked if i could pay the difference, but was told instead to upload a screenshot of my railcard to a websit.

When I got home I couldn’t find my railcard. As I mentioned I had a new phone, and didn’t have any past emails. I was so embarrassed, and worried that you would think I had purposely lied. Instead, in panic, i bought a new railcard and uploaded that to the website. 

When I received the letter from you I panicked again and replied quickly without providing the full information.

I have looked again at my railcard account and have found my original railcard that was valid during the time of travel. I have enclosed proof of both rail cards. I’m very confused about what happened and how this misunderstanding occurred, and I apologise profusely for the inconvenience and time taken. Things got the better of me when I was stopped due to my anxiety. I'm in a much better by place today, and now always ensure my railcard is available to show at all times. 

I hope this resolves our issue. As mentioned in my previous email, I would be happy to pay any administration costs you have incurred due to my error and lapse in judgement. 

ive already given you the text to send

dx

and they

well done 

glad to help.

please consider a donation to keep us here..

dx

and they

• dx100uk changed the title to Govia/Thameslink - no railcard on my new phone - notice to prosecute **RESOLVED**