Euro Car Parks Lullingstone Country Park - Parking charge for purchased ticket that had incomplete registration number on it

Posted (edited)

Hi all,

we recently went to a country park in Kent where the car park is operated by Euro Car Parks. The site has ANPR.

We purchased a ticket and still have the ticket and the transaction on the credit card statement. When my partner keyed in the number plate, the machine spat out the ticket before she could complete keying in the number plate. Thinking nothing of it (because we had paid), we put the ticket in our car window and went on our merry way.

About a week later we had a request for £20 in the post because we had not purchased a ticket. We sent a letter to them with evidence that we had purchased a ticket and that we believe their machine was faulty. We have received another letter stating the following:

Your appeal notes that you purchased a P&D ticket/pay by phone session – however there has been a “major keying error”.

You have now reached the end of our internal appeals procedure and prompt payment of the administration fee is advised - £20.00 – please telephone 020 3 553 4559.

You can make an appeal to the Independent Appeals Service, POPLA (Parking on Private Land Appeals) using the unique POPLA Reference code provided above. Please note, should you decide to appeal to POPLA, or if you appeal to POPLA and your appeal is subsequently rejected, the option to pay the £20.00 administration charge/discounted amount will NO longer be available and the FULL AMOUNT of the PCN will become due.

What can/should we do.

I am minded to send a letter back and say we won't be paying because we purchased a ticket and their machine was faulty, it was not us who made a 'major keying error'.

They also have not responded at any point in their letter to us stating that it was a machine error (witnessed by me).

My understanding is that their only option is to try to take us to a small claims court? If this happens, my guess is that given we have evidence of a ticket, it is unlikely they would win?

Edited by dx100uk
Spacing

Moved your thread to the private parking forum, this not a fine but a speculative invoice.

next time never appeal.

yes they will have a very hard time if if if they do go to court.

see if they eventually send a letter of claim.

Dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

You mentioned Euro Car Parks earlier. Normally it's either private land or council run - do you have any paperwork that gives a clue or could you get photos of signs?

Keep the ticket, it's really important if they're daft enough to pursue this, and any other paperwork.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Andyorch changed the title to Parking charge for purchased ticket that had incomplete registration number on it

Well the chasing letter says Euro Car Parks, but the car park is in Lullingstone Country Park which is run by Kent County Council so I'm not entirely sure if it is a private car park or a local authority car park. 

THE GOOD NEWS  Years back some PPCs tried court in these "wrong registration" cases - and got a hammering from the judges.  Legally the matter is considered "de minimis" ("the law does not deal with trivialities").  It's years since we've seen them take anyone to court.

THE BAD NEWS  As they are chancers they hope you don't know this, so they reject appeals, threaten that you'll be hung, drawn & quartered, destroy half the Amazon hassling you.  But ultimately do nothing.

So just ignore them until/unless they send a Letter Before Claim/Action.

Just to be on the safe side please post up their letters, as HB says.

And when you appealed did you tell them who was driving?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

So it's a private parking invoice.

Even telling them who paid is enough to throw away legal protections under the Protection of Freedoms Act.  That's why we say never appeal, they never accept appeals anyway and you just end up giving them too much information.

Still, no big deal, instead of having 500 legal points in your favour, you now have just 499.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• honeybee13 changed the title to Euro Car Parks Lullingstone Country Park - Parking charge for purchased ticket that had incomplete registration number on it

I've amended the post title to show the location, it could help other people to find your thread if they have a similar problem. I couldn't find Lullingstone here when I did a search earlier.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Basically what they are saying is that they have found the ticket that you paid for your parking. However through  the poor quality of their 

machinery they were unable to collect your full vrm. Therefore if you do not pay us £20 for our mistake, we may take you to Court for the full amount, despite the fact that you paid to park there which basically is the whole point of their system. 

I wonder if they know that there are systems out there that record your vrm when you arrive and recognise your vrm when you leave so automatically raise the barrier when the machine recognises you have already paid.