Accident insurance reporting and declining insurance pay out

KOGE19

Posted (edited)

Hello All, 

I had an accident on Saturday on the M4. The accident was not my fault - it was a multi car accident. The car behind me rear-ended me and my cars' rear bumper came off( I was the last person to be impacted by the accident). I am yet to call my insurer and inform of the accident - From the accident spot, my car was taken to the yard and from there I came back home driving it.

Now my query : if I declare a claim on the insurance supermarket websites using my current car with the declaration of an accident( with mentioning of the fact that my insurer did not pay out and mention the cost of £250 to fix the car),  my insurance only goes up by 30£, if I use the number plate of a cat s car(same make and model as mine) my insurance goes up by about 200£ per year. 

Am I right in not declaring the accident to my insurance. If I do have to report it to my insurance and mention I will be getting my car fixed myself without any insurance funding, would that keep the car as a normal car(if I do seek insurance funding, it will be written of as a cat-S since an inspector would come and view the car) . I want to keep the car in a sellable state and also wish to avoid the headache of changing my car.

I will be declaring the accident in all insurance quotations.

Any thoughts?

Edited by KOGE19

Yes you need to report the accident to your Insurers and give them full details. 

If you don't you could end up in a worse position, as someone else involved in the accident could have noted your number plate and other Insurance companies will contact your Insurance company.  You will then receive a letter from your Insurers saying that they are not very happy you did not contact them straightaway. 

And following this accident, however you might view it. what if a third party decided that you might be partly responsible ?  Your Insurance company will usually reduce no claims entitlement until they know for sure, that the accident is non fault, with them not having to make any payments.

Have you taken your car to a garage and had it put up on a ramp, so it can be inspected for any further damage ?  If not, you should do so.  If further damage is found, you might then decide to make a claim.

Not sure why you are thinking it might be a write off ?  Let a local garage have a look to see if they can see any further damage first. 

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

We had a case here not long ago of someone who didn't report an accident to their insurer and got into a lot of difficulties with their insurer because a third party had reported the accident (and that was a very minor incident, a much less serious accident than yours). From memory they were then contacted by their own insurer and asked why they hadn't reported it. The upshot was that at renewal their insurer refused to renew the policy becaue of non-disclosure of the accident .

The driver then had to declare that an insurer had cancelled or refused to renew a policy when seeking alternative quotations. Many insurers would not quote, others wanted very high premiums. 

So my advice is to report this to your insurer as soon as possible.

1 hour ago, unclebulgaria67 said:

Yes you need to report the accident to your Insurers and give them full details. 

If you don't you could end up in a worse position, as someone else involved in the accident could have noted your number plate and other Insurance companies will contact your Insurance company.  You will then receive a letter from your Insurers saying that they are not very happy you did not contact them straightaway. 

And following this accident, however you might view it. what if a third party decided that you might be partly responsible ?  Your Insurance company will usually reduce no claims entitlement until they know for sure, that the accident is non fault, with them not having to make any payments.

Have you taken your car to a garage and had it put up on a ramp, so it can be inspected for any further damage ?  If not, you should do so.  If further damage is found, you might then decide to make a claim.

Not sure why you are thinking it might be a write off ?  Let a local garage have a look to see if they can see any further damage first. 

Yes, yes, all details are recorded. I do intend to inform my insurer - my question is would they write the car off as a Cat-S, if I do inform of the accident and ask them not to pay out.  The mechanic at the yard told me that it was a write off - my car is 15 years old and is a Toyota Prius. He offerred to call it into the garage and do the paper work. The only damage to the car is the bumper. 

The highway officer did record all details of the accident, so I cannot stop from informing my insurer I guess.

Other than using the free recovery service, I havent used the courtesy car etc. 

My dad has cancer and my family are waiting on treatment plans etc. Changing car and running behind it is going to consume time and effort I dont have. Using a courtesy car, returning it, getting new car etc is going to be a challenge

I can get the car fixed by using a scrap yard bumper.

Has the mechanic sent a report to your Insurers ? 

WWW.RAC.CO.UK

An insurance 'write-off' is when a car will either be retained by the car insurance firm with the owner receiving a cash payout

Structural damage ! Should not be driven  !

Did the mechanic carry out a full inspection of the car ?  If they did not inspect fully and have issued no report, then it was only their comment on the day and the write off is not recorded.

As I said before, you need to have the car inspected at a local garage to check on damage. It might not just be a bumper.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

20 minutes ago, unclebulgaria67 said:

Has the mechanic sent a report to your Insurers ? 

WWW.RAC.CO.UK

An insurance 'write-off' is when a car will either be retained by the car insurance firm with the owner receiving a cash payout

Structural damage ! Should not be driven  !

Did the mechanic carry out a full inspection of the car ?  If they did not inspect fully and have issued no report, then it was only their comment on the day and the write off is not recorded.

As I said before, you need to have the car inspected at a local garage to check on damage. It might not just be a bumper.

Took it to a local garage now who have inspected it. The only damage so to speak is when the recovery person drove the car with hand brake on. The garage has quoted me a decent price to put the bumper back on. I will ask to him to recheck again anyways - maybe do an MOT.

I have informed my insurer and have a reference number now. It will not be recorded as a Cat-S/N since I am not making a claim. If I were to make a claim,they offered 3500£ to write off and a reduced amount for me to keep it on as a Cat-S.