Misused a freedom card, received a letter from TFL

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 523 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A friend got caught when she used my parent’s freedom card to touch out the tube station last Tuesday, and received a letter from TFL on Thursday.

On the day got caught the plain staff took her bank card and called someone to confirm the information, luckily she gave the real name and address, but so curious about who did the staff called , and how can they confirm the detail with a bank card, do they have the right to access the personal bank detail?

Actually she is not that kind of bad character person, very humble and kind, she is terrified, so am I. I have some questions about this, Hope some one can help me.

1. I didn’t receive any phone call or email or letter from TFL yet, will TFL contact me or prosecute me ?as the freedom card is my parent’s ,My parent applied it with my email address, but she has already left UK.

2. In the letter they spell my friend’s first name wrongly, Does this mean they can’t prosecute her without correct name? If they could still prosecute my friend , should my friend correct it in the response or still use the one TFL used? And my friend give a lunar calendar  date of birth when the stuff asked but it is different from the one on the her ID, should she correct it in the response or use the same one she gave to the staff and curious about why they want Date of birth?

3. Should she ask for help from a solicitor in this stage about how to reply to TFL, does it work?

she would like to pay the fine, but doesn’t want to have a criminal record.

Thank you for any help from  you guys.

• dx100uk changed the title to Misused a freedom card, received a letter from TFL

are you saying the person that accidently used the pass is no longer in this country?

either you 1st language is not english and your description of things is due to you naturally not being able to explain things in plain english or your translation program is rather poor.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

No,my parent is no longer in UK, who is the real holder of the freedom pass card.

Yes, I write it by myself, English is not my 1st language. Let me try to make it more clear.

Any body knows how to edit  my 1st topic context please?

just retype it in a new post here if you wish

how many times have you used the pass?

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Not me, my friend borrowed my parents for her parent to use, as my parent has left UK, I gave it to her. Because her parent is over 65 too, I thought it is OK. But after her parent left, she sometimes used her own, sometimes the freedom pass, maybe more than 10 times in total.

By the way, I will retype in a new thread for clear view of others.

no dont start a new thread no need.

back to your 1st post

a solicitor wont help

just cost money 

she needs to write a begging/pleading letter an sent it to the email address on the letter

if you use our enhanced google searchbox.

type in freedom pass

have a look at examples of the structure of letters used

and construct one for her to send

post it up here 1st if you like for checking/ideas.

dx

and they

Thank you for your reply.

My Main concern is whether TFl will contact me or fine me or prosecute me for giving the pass to others if my friend never mentioned me to the staff?

But they have got my parent’s freedom pass, they can find my address and Email address in the pass if they read it by the machine, because I applied for my parent with my email when he lived with me.

And could they prosecute my friend if they spell the wrong first name?( but Just one extra letter) And she gave a different DOB to the staff when she got caught, And should she correct the name when she reply to TFL?

they wont be interested in you.

the name issue means nothing

she MUST be honest and upfront with them but not tell them anything they dont already know.

you NEED to read several like threads as advised.

as the pass is not directly related by family to her, it will be obvious she was the only one that used the pass so it will be difficult for her to avoid now not being levied for the free fares she got , esp as they will look at her pattern of journeys across all the cards she uses.

dx

and they

Thank you so much for your advice.

May I confirm that you mean she need to correct the name and DOB to TFL, am I right?

You mentioned they will look at her pattern of journey across all the card she uses, but they didn't ask for any other detail of other card of her, can they find out? Because some of the oyster cards are anonymous.

she must be honest.

dont forget they took her bank card details.

if other travel cards are not in her name but anon, then obviously they cant see detailed use on those.

and they

Do you think she should mention her annual travel card she used before pandemic or the Oyster card she used after pandemic  to seek for OOC and reduce the punishment, or stick to the principle of do not tell more unless they have already known?

Edited by dx100uk
unnecessary previous post quote removed

It would help her case to state since the incident she has purchased the oyster card and it now paying going fwd yes of course.

Dx

and they

not since the incident,the oyster card was bought before ,and used all the time 

Does anybody know who successfully got OOC or something even better from TFL? when I check the cases on this forum, most haven't given the outcome.

I only found one , pregant single teacher, and the inspector hasnt got her pass.

by the way,  Should my friend say something to explain the incident ? or just say sorry ,not to mention the detail of the incident?

Edited by dx100uk

That's a problem here, people take the advice quite happily but don't often come back to tell us how it went. I hope you will update the thread.

I may have missed it but I can't see the wording of what you/your friend did wrong, from TfL's letter. It would help us to know that, perhaps you could type it out please.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Bet the letter just says an incident at xxx and wanting her side of the story .

Dx

and they

in the letter ,Nothing special, just  said you are reported to TFL for  an offence on the TFL Public Transport net work. legal proceeding maybe taken against you .

1.you can accept committing an offence , providing any exceptional reason Why TFL should not proceed with a prosecution,

2.you can deny , say why with evidence,

3. if this is in relation to a ticket irregularity, then if you were unable to produce a pass because you did not have it with you or if your pass was withdrawn because  you were unable to produce a vaild photocard to accompany it ,please enclose a photocopy of the pass/PHOTO CARD with your reply.

accutally , I dont know what's the meanning of the third one.

There are plenty of letters here that dont admit multiple uses but also dont say it only one use..

clever wording is the answer

and they

Hi Guys, one more question please!

Do you guys think whether she should attach some oyster top up receipts, annual ticket she used before, or bank cards usage for Transport?

I know that also would give more information of travel pattern , so don’t know which is bigger?

Advantage or disadvantage to give them?

Edited by dx100uk

It was only last tuesday. 

At this stage not worth it.

Reply see where they go.

and they

Hi Guys,

May I ask is there any confirmation or automatically reply from TFL for receiving the response email to them? 
my friend has sent to the email address they provided in the letter, but no confirmation or automatically reply which can confirm they have received.

No 

Dx

and they

• 2 weeks later...