Received a Connex letter addressed to someone who doesn't live at my address

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 676 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I've had a look through other threads about letters from Connex but couldn't find one that answered my question. 

I had a letter delivered from Connex today. The usual one. But it's addressed to someone who has never lived at my address.

I do know who they are though, and they are connected to someone that I WAS connected to at one time. So I have a good idea who they are trying to trace, although it doesn't name anyone in the letter. And yes, I know I shouldn't have read the letter, but it was unsealed when it arrived, so the temptation was too great. 

Do I ignore it, return it "not known at this address" or what? 

Is this person using my address, because why would they think they lived here?

I'm wary of telling them that I do know the person, but also wary of ignoring it and dealing with bailiffs etc. I've already been through that with the person I think they are looking for, but it was a very long time ago and I was hoping that part of my life was behind me.

So...bin it, return it or what?

You are OK reading any letter that is posted to your address. You only commit an offence, if you used the information to commit another offence e.g fraud

Yes you could return to sender, but this might not stop your address being contacted.

What is the Connex letter about ?

If it were me, I would sent it back, with a covering letter stating that the addressee has never lived at the address, so not sure why they have written to the address.

• Like 2

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

1 minute ago, unclebulgaria67 said:

You are OK reading any letter that is posted to your address. You only commit an offence, if you used the information to commit another offence e.g fraud

Yes you could return to sender, but this might not stop your address being contacted.

What is the Connex letter about ?

If it were me, I would sent it back, with a covering letter stating that the addressee has never lived at the address, so not sure why they have written to the address.

It's just standard one that lots of people seem to have got. They're trying to find someone and think the addressee might have information. I'm just worried that if I make contact and say the addressee has never lived here, they might start hounding me instead. The person they have written to, and the person I think they might be looking for, don't even live in this country, but if I tell them this I'm worried they might start hounding me instead. 

For now I've written on the envelope to return to sender, and that this person has never lived here. 

Tell them to check the Register of Electors and any further correspondence will be construed as harassment, and such correspondence will be retained and stored for evidence.

• Like 1

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Against the FCA debt collection rules to hound a third party.

Having been in a similar position with letters to my address relating to someone abroad, because they have gone abroad  UK activity has gone cold.

So you will see letters continually over the years from difference debt collection companies

I found the return to sender did not work. I had to complain and received compensation

• Like 2

As UB says difficult, so keeping the letter's a evidence along with a this person has never lived at the address any further correspondence etc, sent with free proof of posting might well help if you do have continued harassment.

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Pers I'd do nowt 

It only encourage s global their real name 

A DCA is not a bailiff.

With zero legal powers on any debt 

Try and space your posts too!.

Dx

• Like 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

agree with dx don't encourage them, absolutely nothing to worry about, just keep their missive for future reference if needed

• Like 1

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.

I would just ignore them if it's a standard letter, I only suggested return to sender as you said you knew who the person was so in that case I would normally make it clear to Connex they are not known at your address.

No further explanation to Connex is required, as DX said they are a powerless DCA and tracing agency.

• Like 1