Fined £110 for accidentally getting on wrong train which didn't stop at my stop by South Western Railway **RESOLVED **

Posted (edited)

Caution : before you send that letter I think you need to clarify:

SWR are talking about a £8.90 fare avoided, and you’ve stated a fare of £5.65

I think you’ll need to get that clear before you state in your letter “which did not deprive SWR of a single penny in lost income”, else they may reject what you are saying as factually incorrect.

Did the member of staff at the gateline offer you a Penalty Fare? (They aren’t obliged to, but might have!) 

Edited by BazzaS
  • Like 2

Great! Is it worth highlighting that the fare you paid (railcard, Walton-on-Thames -> Vauxhall) is the same as the fare to Waterloo, that you only realised your mistake on the train as it passed through Vauxhall, and it is a short time from there to Waterloo, you didn't see staff on the train, to seek help from,  and then you approached the gateline staff for help.

I hope common sense prevails here with SWR.

I got a £10 (yes, it was that long ago!) Penalty Fare on the Underground. I had a Zone 1 ticket, and missed my stop at Euston, on the Northern Line, arriving at Camden Town. I followed the signs but it took me up an escalator to an exit only. I spoke to a member of staff, explaining, (& before I tried to exit and re-enter to go back to the southbound platform). Penalty Fare, for being in Zone 2 with a Zone 1 ticket.

I felt equally hard done by, but grudgingly paid it

a) I didn't know then what I know know, in terms of making my case on appeal

b) I needed a clear eDBS ('police check' / CRB in those days!!) for work, and didn't want to risk even a Byelaw prosecution.

• dx100uk changed the title to Fined £110 for accidentally getting on wrong train which didn't stop at my stop by South Western Railway **RESOLVED **