Building work at workplace caused asthma attack

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 693 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I work in retail. At the moment, the store is going through a refit - both on the shop floor and staff areas. The dust from removing old fixtures, sawing of various materials plus the solvent fumes from paint, glues etc has caused the asthma attack. The bulk of the work is happening when shop is closed for trade.

I had my scheduled days off as per normal and thought that being away from that environment was going to help my health as was really struggling on the day before my days off. It did not help. 

Now I am on a first written warning, which expires in late summer for my absences of anxiety and severe chest infections. Employer dropped the verbal warning some years ago.  I should not go through disciplinary for this as its a health n safety issue. Before anyone asks why I didn't wear a mask. I struggle wearing one for 30 mins. The face shields give me headaches as can't cope with the curvature of the shield.

Now in the past, when a shop went through a refit, it closed for about 7-10 days, depending on size and work required. I think its certainly profit over HnS.

The doctor I saw in the drop in centre (rang 111 for appt) said to stay away from work for a few days and certainly the dust and solvents contributed to the attack!

Now, what shall I do? I belong to the union.

Speak to union rep and get a letter from the 111 drs saying the work is effecting your health. 

They need to be putting measures in to protect peoples health. 

I cant believe people are getting written warnings for illness that is discusting IMO. 

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

If you have suffered ill health which can reasonable be connected to your workplace, you can contact bodies responsible for health & safety.

WWW.HSE.GOV.UK

Provides information on how you can raise your health and safety problem with HSE.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi

This also bring into question exactly what Risk Assessment was carried out by your Employer before and during these works for the Employees working in that environment during these ongoing works.

If they ever did try the disciplinary route due to your asthma attacks the one thing I would be asking for is that Risk Assessment that was carried out before and during the refurbishment works

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Are we to assume that the asthma is not new and your employer fully infomed about this. 

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Ok my managers know of my asthma. Though never had an asthma attack at work like that. Asthma has got worse - probably had covid a few days before 1st lockdown. No test centres for 40 plus miles at the time. 

I have messaged my union rep - also an employee at the store. She is going to put this as a incident and look at any risk assessments done. Plus asked for colleagues that witnessed/helped me during the attack to get their side of the story. As  I was in shock and not fully understanding what was going on.

The refit has been a bit of a shambles imo. No clear plans so literally some rooms needed to be emptied immediately when contractors were told they are there to do the floor, paint the walls etc.  We were told to empty lockers. Then they were taken away with no replacement. Staff not happy with leaving personal stuff in offices. 

Is this for a chain?. Can you ask to be moved, temporarily, to work at another branch until the refit is done?.

This would show that you remain capable of working, and are aiming to find a solution to the problem they have created, and puts any attempt at a disciplinary by them 'on the back foot'.

Since you have your union involved - why not run this past them?.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m back at work. The manager who did my returning back interview did not put the sickness towards the triggers.

Did say that if the store will need any building work which creates dust and fumes, to notify me and discuss options. There’s about 8 stores within 30 mins drive.