My car slid in the snow, scuffing another car, no damage, someone told my insurance company..- now my NCD/ins renewal has been refused!!

mrk1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 697 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Back in Dec 2021 near new year, my car slid down a little snow, and just touched the other car within a hair width leaving some light scuff marks, he told his insurance but said it was nothing and he would deal, the person even messaged me to confirm and I still have the text. It was literally some light scrapes.. 

My insurance co even said at the time all is fine and they have moved on. 

I got an email saying they can not renew my claim, I was dumbfounded as I had done nothing wrong. I then looked at the policy end notice and it said"

NCD: 0 

They have said "the claim is notification only, however we have to wait 6 months to make sure no 3rd party comes in"   - This is madness, I have proof that the "3rd party" is not "going in"...

What am I meant to do here now? Just not drive for 6 months or start my NCD all over again and lose 3 years worth of savings?

Or can I still use my NCD bonus despite them robbing me of it???

Just more proof the the insurance industry is unregulated and run by mobsters!!!! 

this world is screwed!!!

I'm not fully clear on what has happened.

When was the renewal date of your policy? Is your insurer saying that they will not renew your policy? If so have they explained why?

The answer to "Or can I still use my NCD bonus despite them robbing me of it???" is No. The only thing another insurer will accept is what your last insurer say is your NCD on the renewal notice. You have no other way of evidencing 3 years NCD.

My renewal was coming up for June... I had an email 1 week or so ago saying something like "at this time we can't renew your policy" of which I of course emailed back to ask why as nothing had changed and there had been no claims... which there has not... I then noticed on the email that it said 0 NO CLAIMS. 

I have proof from the person saying he is not making a claim and that he agreed there was minimal damage if any at all... 

This is absolutely wrong! Seriously how can they even attempt this?!

Edited by Ethel Street
No need to quote previous post

The refusal to renew is a more serious problem for you than the NCD right now. When getting quotes you will always be asked if an insurer has ever cancelled or refused to renew a policy and you will have to answer 'Yes'. The likely consequence of that is many insurers will refuse to quote, or will quote high premiums.

From the information in your post I can't understand why your insurer is refusing to renew. You need to call them and try to get to the bottom of this. Tell them that refusal to renew is putting you in an impossible position with finding alternative insurance. Even if the incident had resulted in a claim against and your insurer paying it the amount would have been very small. Insurers don't normally refuse to renew if there has just been one small accident. [EDIT just seen the link to your previous thread. I will read it, that may explain insurer's attitude]

Do you have a prior history of accidents and convictions and your insurer is treating this as the 'last straw'?

the other thread i post explains it all ...

the OP was told what to do then to prevent this situation happening by CAG in the future but appears to have ignored our advice?

• Thanks 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I did everything asked previously. 

33 minutes ago, Ethel Street said:

The refusal to renew is a more serious problem for you than the NCD right now. When getting quotes you will always be asked if an insurer has ever cancelled or refused to renew a policy and you will have to answer 'Yes'. The likely consequence of that is many insurers will refuse to quote, or will quote high premiums.

From the information in your post I can't understand why your insurer is refusing to renew. You need to call them and try to get to the bottom of this. Tell them that refusal to renew is putting you in an impossible position with finding alternative insurance. Even if the incident had resulted in a claim against and your insurer paying it the amount would have been very small. Insurers don't normally refuse to renew if there has just been one small accident.

Do you have a prior history of accidents and convictions and your insurer is treating this as the 'last straw'?

No no history, no claims ever nothing. 

Yes I do not understand either..

THERE WAS NO CLAIM.... They are saying it is "notification only" - I can't see how this gives them the right to absolutely screw me over... Am I dealing with someone with no experience here (the insurers - like is it a new trainee or something?! - Cause it does not make sense)!

• dx100uk changed the title to My car slid in the snow, scuffing another car, no damage, someone told my insurance company..- now my NCD/ins renewal has been refused!!

threads merged.

so why did you not follow this up in december when you sent your ins co the pictures?

did you just leave it and not chase result?

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I spoke with them on live chat and they told me it was sorted and i had nothing to worry about. 

Edited by dx100uk
unnecessary previous post quote removed

On January 4th insurer told you they considered you may be in breach of policy condition for failure to report an incident [my emphasis].  I guess that is why they are now refusing to renew the policy.

"...we have been notified by a third party that your vehicle was involved in an accident on 00/00/00.

You have not notified us of this claim and therefore you may be in breach of the conditions of your policy.

We need to investigate further before we can decide whether we can deal with the claim, until we let you know in writing nothing said or done or anyone acting for us should be understood as confirming our position. "

You sent them the photos they asked for on January 9th.  There were no further updates posted after that. What has happened since January 9th?

The non-renewal is the big problem for you. The NCD issue will solve itself - if there is no claim after 6 months it should be reinstated.

Concentrate on getting the insurer to offer you renewal.

I spoke with them on live chat, and they confirmed to me it has ben resolved and that is it... Nothing more happened. 

Edited by dx100uk
unnecessary previous post quote removed

On what date?

Did you keep a copy of the Live Chat conversation?  You usually have the option to download the conversation. Post up the text here please (personal identifiers removed).

Did they ever send you anything else about the incident? Or anything else at all before you got the email (a week ago?)  telling you they wouldn't renew?

Please post the text of the email here as well.

Who is the insurer?

I have just got through on phone to claims... they agreed it was an automated email that decded to strip my ncb.... I have sent screen grab of the text messages I had with person where he stated he is not making a claim at all... They said they will update it on their claims file and that someone will get in touch next week to see about getting my ncb back and possible continuation of policy.. 

Nothing more can be done now. 

Thanks for everyone help.

:cheer2:

and they

@mrk123  Sounds like progress. Bear in mind that typically the claims deprtment decides about NCD but it's up to the (separate) underwriting department whether to renew and at what £££.

If it helps, if I were discussing this with the insurer I would be stressing these points.

1. The incident occurred on December 29th 2021, you notified them when you got their text January 4th 2022. That's a time period of only 3 working days (2 if you don't count New Years Eve as a working day). 

2. You had taken photos at the time for insurers to provide them with information they would need. That is evidence of your intention to report the incident at the earliest practicable opportunity.

3. The accident was trivial, minor dent/scratch to bumper. It was not a moving traffic accident (ie neither car was being driven) and no-one was injured

4. You provided information about it to the police [on the day of the accident(?)] to ensure an independent report on the circumstances  was available to insurers

5. Since your initial report to insurers on January 4th you have provided them with everything they have requested promptly. You note that since January 4th they have not sought any further information or carried out any investigations so they presumably had all the information they needed by that date, less than a week after the accident.

6. In consequence of the above the insurers have not been prejudiced or disadvantaged in any way  in their ability to deal with any claim if one had come in. And no claim has come in.

Good luck. FWIW insurers non-renewal decision seems very harsh in the circumstances so hopefully when you get to discuss it with a real human being decision maker all will be well. I suspect that if you had to make a complaint to the Insurance Ombudsman/FOS your insurer would find it hard to demonstrate that non-renewing your policy was 'treating the customer fairly'.

• Like 1

• AndyOrch changed the title to My car slid in the snow, scuffing another car, no damage, someone told my insurance company..- now my NCD/ins renewal has been refused!!