Southern Water Arrears - Full and final settlement question

I am with Severn Trent Water, and over several years I have managed to build up arrears of nearly £1,400. I'm in my late sixties, I live in social housing, and receive the State pension plus pension credit.

Last December, I got a letter from them saying they were preparing to take this to the County Court. I asked them to provide me with copies of all the relevant bills, and I found them to add up to the figure they were claiming. I checked if any of the debt was over six years old and might therefore be statute-barred, but it wasn't. I was fairly sure I'd got letters from debt collection agencies about the arrears, so I wrote to ask if any of them had been 'sold on', but they assured me they hadn't.

I should point out here that throughout our correspo0ndence, Severn Trent has been very fair and understanding - I really can't fault them on this.

I've looked into the possibility of clearing the debt with a Debt Relief Order, and from what I've read on the CAB's website, it seems I'd qualify (though I realise that I'd have to go to a CAB centre and discuss it with a volunteer to be certain).

What I'd prefer to do, however, would be to seek a Full and Final Settlement.

This is where I need advice, as I have no idea what figure a utility company like Severn Trent would consider. I can get hold of £450, but that's slightly less than a third, and they might see that as derisory. I might in time be able to find some more, but I want to get this thing out of the way ASAP, as it's already dragged on for nearly six months (and I have to say, Severn Trent has shown commendable patience ).

So, can anyone give me an idea of what proportion of a debt a utility company is prepared to accept as a Full and Final Settlement?

Thank you.

• dx100uk changed the title to Southern Water Arrears - Full and final settlement question

there is no set figure for F&F.

go in low be prepared to climb a bit.

it might pay you to include a very detailed In/out expenditure document.

how are you going forward, are you currently paying this years bill ok?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I haven't received a bill since I got their letter in December, but the next bill I get, I should be able to pay it.

Ideally you should be paying monthly or in 10 payments.

You can do this on their webportal go set it up then you won't have a massive bill for 22-23 coming along 

Dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...