hasbury motors limited - purchased car last november - Cambelt changed in 2018 but just failed due to loose bolt - who do i claim against?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 683 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can anyone help with what action should or could be taken?
Purchased a car in November just gone, from a dealer (hasbury motors limited).
The cam belt was done last in 2018 by a garage in Bristol (I have the receipt)

Yesterday the car broke down, long story short the AA recovered the car and upon inspection found a loose bolt that had been inside the timing cover wearing down the timing belt for some time, the aa man seems to thing this bolt will have caused the belt to skip a tooth or two and resulted in all the valves being bent (big repair).

Any help with what I could do in regards to the garage being held responsible (the timing cover is sealed so the bolt would have been in there since the last cam belt change)

Thanks in advance

What date in November 2021 did you make the purchase ?

Date car broke down ?

Mileage of the car when purchased ?

Mileage when the car broke down ?

How old is the car ?

Service history ?

Did the garage you brought it from carry out a full service before they handed you the keys ?  If no, when was the car last serviced ?.

What does the service manual say about when the timing belt should be changes ?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

purchased on 13/11/21

mileage when purchased 114000

broke down at 120000

12 reg

Cambelt was done at 87000

partial service history, not missing many stamps (cambelt being changed was a big selling point)

Last service was 110000, next due at 123000

service manual states cambelt interval at 140 000 Kilometres (87000) or after a maximum of 10 years

Thanks

Welcome to CAG ezza, I'm sorry to hear you have had such an issue with your car - we are so dependent on them aren't we..

I'm a qualified mechanic although no longer in the trade, I've completed 10's of timing belts across many models of cars. I want to dig into the diagnosis a little further as it does sound unusual for many reasons, especially given the time and miles since replacement, but I don't think that will help us at all at this moment - I'll stick around the thread though in case I can assist with this further in the future should it be needed.

For now though, I really don't think there is anything you can do in terms of recourse to the dealer (unless you purchased extended warranty?) and especially not the garage who completed the timing belt change - too much time passed with potential for other people to have worked in the timing covers, I don't know your make and model but a replacement water pump would be one reason to be in there outside of timing belt replacement...

I would suggest you do contact the dealer though, there is a chance they might be willing to assist you with getting the repair done as this is such a catastrophic failure and certainly not simple wear and tear item. If they have a garage onsite, perhaps at a reduced cost given you purchased from there (maintain reputation) and if they don't have this onsite then perhaps putting you in touch with their preferred garage (most dealers have one) with a view to getting a fast turnaround/small discount on the work, or lastly to lend you a demo vehicle out of goodwill whilst you get the repairs done, no harm in asking.

The above aside, I think there is little else given the age and mileage of the vehicle unfortunately, these are always inherent risks with purchasing used cars.

Good luck whatever you choose to do!

BT

Missed my edit time by a minute! sorry for multi post

When did the car actually break down please?

Edited by Badtimes123

CAG Site Team and Forum Helpers are unpaid volunteers

Over the years CAG has probably helped hundreds of thousands of people, only a small number of people come back and let us know what happened or to say thank you

and an even smaller number of people ever think to make a donation.

If you are able, without leaving yourself short, consider donating, all donations go towards Site hosting and maintenance - help us stay live for future people in need.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Essential Reading: Dealing with Customer Service

• dx100uk changed the title to hasbury motors limited - purchased car last november - Cambelt changed in 2018 but just belt failed due to loose bolt - who do i claim against?
  • dx100uk changed the title to hasbury motors limited - purchased car last november - Cambelt changed in 2018 but just failed due to loose bolt - who do i claim against?

forget extended warranties, no warranty, extended or otherwise,  is ever worth the paper it was written on.

this is an inherent fault, that was present at time of your purchase from the dealer.

your claim is against them.

you have a report from the AA, thats good enough evidence and the sealed cover, to win the claim.

as for who did it and is responsible, that's for the dealer to argue out with the garage that changed the belt, leaving a bolt lose, ............not your problem. the issue was present upon purchase.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Admins, please feel free to edit out my posts any bits which you know to be incorrect advice - I want you to for the sake of the thread.

I'm not sure we understand enough yet to have so much conviction dx 'win a claim'.. but then I've been known to ask too many questions

I hated working in the motor trade for these very reasons, so I'm hoping you're right and I'm cheer-leading for Ezza! :)

Definitely contact the dealer, that we all will agree on! How should Ezza approach this? that would be useful info

Edited by Badtimes123
more typos

CAG Site Team and Forum Helpers are unpaid volunteers

Over the years CAG has probably helped hundreds of thousands of people, only a small number of people come back and let us know what happened or to say thank you

and an even smaller number of people ever think to make a donation.

If you are able, without leaving yourself short, consider donating, all donations go towards Site hosting and maintenance - help us stay live for future people in need.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Essential Reading: Dealing with Customer Service

Consumer Rights act. You may need to issue Court claim against the garage that sold you the car, using any AA inspection report.  The garage are probably going to argue given cost of repairs will be into 4 digits.

WWW.THEMOTOROMBUDSMAN.ORG

If you bought your car after 01 October 2015, the Consumer Rights Act 2015 applies. This means that, when you buy the vehicle, it has...

How much did you pay for the car?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread