1991 Gulf War - Gulf War Syndrome blamed on Sarin gas

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 705 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sarin gas blamed for Gulf War syndrome

US scientists say they have discovered what caused thousands of soldiers who served in the 1991 Gulf War to fall sick with mysterious symptoms.

They have pinned the blame on the nerve agent sarin, which was released into the air when caches of Iraqi chemical weapons were bombed.

Many veterans have complained of a range of debilitating symptoms which developed after their service.

But for decades the cause of Gulf War Syndrome has remained elusive.

Sarin is usually deadly, but lead researcher Dr Robert Haley said the gas that soldiers were exposed to in Iraq was diluted, and so not fatal.

"But it was enough to make people ill if they were genetically predisposed to illness from it."

Dr Haley said the key to whether somebody fell ill was a gene known as PON1, which plays an important role in breaking down toxic chemicals in the body.

His team found veterans with a less effective version of the PON1 gene were more likely to become sick.

The latest study - largely funded by the US government - involved more than 1,000 randomly-selected American Gulf War veterans.

Dr Haley, of the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, said: "This is the most definitive study.

"We believe it will stand up to any criticism. And we hope our findings will lead to treatment that will relieve some of the symptoms."

READ MORE HERE

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

US scientists say they now know why thousands of soldiers who served in the 1991 conflict fell sick.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Anything other than the truth. Wasn't the Anthrax Jabs, or Anti Malaria tablets.....

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Ah don't forget the biggest free experiment the MOD ever carried out as well with the NAPS tablets. remember taking them and an hour later being so ill was coming out of both ends in fact a few of us were so ill after taking those dam tablets.

• Like 1

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group