Someone else connected to my electric supply, now want to disconnect them.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 709 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have 2 people connected to my electric supply and they have been for a few years now.  All good and agreed and they have meters so pay for what they use.

I now want to disconnect one of them as we don't get on.

As it is obviously after the meter and from my side of the supply can i just disconnect them.

The one i was to remove is in a cabin that they rent from the other person, they have now started to cause problems and refuse to move out.

As it is my supply that goes to them, is there any comeback for me if i cut them off.

It has only ever been a friend's agreement and nothing ever in writing.

I've searched but found nothing like this so if anyone can shed some light on it i would be greatful

Thanks in advance for any help.

My meter is the main one, they come from a supply after the main meter and have a meter in the cabin, sub meter i guess you can call it.

I read their meter and they pay for the units used and then the main bill comes from my bank so it is all above board

yes having someone else connected so long as it is after the main meter is legal.

I just want to know if i can cut them off with no comeback to myself as i have been letting them use it for a few years now/

Never heard of that so if it exists it's a first for me.

I think there is a law preventing removing basic services from a tenant without good reason such as non payment of bill, which is not what you have said here.

It gets a bit more complicated, they are not my tennant.

It is one of the existing places here that has been connected.

there is 2 of them and the smaller one is owned by the other person and they want them out so they can have their cabin back.

as they are nothing to do with me and not a tennant of mine i cant find anything that says i can't cut them off but also can't find anything that says i can.

I doub't its something that has ever come up on here so not expecting to find the answer but then you never know.

And yes, letting someone run off your electric supply is ok to do so long as it is after the main meter as everything from that point is yours so you can do what you want.

Sounds like you’d be exposing yourself to being accused of trying to unlawfully evict them (by removing a basic and essential utility).

You’d open yourself up to prosecution and that would then make it harder to lawfully apply for termination of the tenancy / repossession!

23 minutes ago, BazzaS said:

Sounds like you’d be exposing yourself to being accused of trying to unlawfully evict them (by removing a basic and essential utility).

You’d open yourself up to prosecution and that would then make it harder to lawfully apply for termination of the tenancy / repossession!

Is this even if they are nothing to do with me and i want me electric disconnected from them as it is the other person that runs from mine that connected them?

Yes, if it is part of a plan to “get them out”

You said “

there is 2 of them and the smaller one is owned by the other person and they want them out so they can have their cabin back.”

So, you know the LL wants them out, and cutting off the electricity to make it less habitable looks like an action in concert with the LL even if you aren’t the LL.

All a prosecutor need ask you is “and what do you think the effect would be on the lawful tenant of cutting off their electricity supply?” Or even “Do you think being without electricity would make it hard for them to live there?”

If you say “make it hard for them to live there” : unlawful eviction.

If you say “wouldn’t make it hard” : it’d be hard to believe and their follow up would be “that is hard to believe and supports my suggestion that you knew exactly what the effect would be”

Triable “either way”, up to 2 year sentence if it goes to Crown Court.

WWW.LEGISLATION.GOV.UK

An Act to consolidate section 16 of the Rent Act 1957 and Part III of the Rent Act 1965, and related enactments.

Take formal legal advice on how best to achieve this lawfully if you insist on going ahead with it

Edited by BazzaS

5 hours ago, nohope said:

Is this even if they are nothing to do with me and i want me electric disconnected from them as it is the other person that runs from mine that connected them?

nohope,

Your posts are somewhat confusing !

Are you a tenant yourself, landlord or owner of the building, flats, house or what ever it is ?

Theses two people you want to disconnect, are they tenants if yes who their landlord, are they friends of yours, lodgers or something else ?

Why are these 2 connected to your meter in the 1st place and how long ago was this done ?

• Like 1

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

Hi

So there are 2 Cabins that are both connected to your mains supply but each cabin has its own meter and both pay you for meter use.

The 2 Cabins the smaller one is owned by this other person who wants the present individuals out so they can have there cabin back.

You are asking if you can cut the energy supply to this specific Cabin.

1. The person the Owns the Cabin will have to go through the Eviction process to Evict this person in that specific Cabin.

2. If you cut the Energy Supply to this Cabin i could be classed as you assisting the Owner of that Cabin in an Illegal Eviction and Harassment which you could end up in Court being Prosecuted for.

3. Even though it was the Cabin Owner that connected the energy supply to this other Cabin that has a meter and is still supplied by you I assume this was done with that Cabin Owner getting your consent to do this connection if this Cabin Owner didn't get your consent then your issue is with that specific Cabin Owner and not the person in that other Cabin. Again you would need to action via the Courts to get that Cabin Owner to remove that energy supply connection and as it affects that other Cabin you would need to legally notify them of these actions.

4. If 3 above was agreed by the Cabin Owner with your consent and you wish to legally cut off there Energy Supply to this other Cabin then you would have to go via the Courts to get a Warrant to do so and if they are up to date with there energy payments you will need a vaild reason for the Courts to grant this.

Cutting off the energy supply you would be party to assisting this Cabin Owner that want that other cabin back in actions of an Illegal Eviction and Harassment in which the individual in this other Cabin can not only involve the Police but take legal action against you for assisting in this illegal eviction and Harassment.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group