Caught shoplifting.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 671 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, I’m hoping for some advice? 
I have really messed up.

I was in the supermarket doing my food shopping this week and I didn’t put a number of items through the till,

I don’t know why, I don’t know on what planet made me do it but I did and now feel horrendous!!

I was approached when leaving the store by the 2 security guards and asked if they could search my trolley, I panicked and became a rabbit in headlights far to ashamed to admit to what I had just done. They separated all the unpaid items from what I had paid for and gave me the option to purchase the rest, I grabbed a few bits and checked out.

They said they wanted to call the police but weren’t going to as it takes too long but have fairly issued me a banning order which I had to provide my name and address for so they could send it in the post. They also said that the way I had my bags when wondering round looked suspicious as they are all bundled up at one end of the trolley (I take bags for life) but this is how I put them each week

my concern now is they will go back through old cctv and see my bags are the same and think it’s happened before?

Will the police be called now they have let me leave without calling them at the time?

I am so disappointed in myself and completely ashamed but am worried the police will turn up at my house,

I have a young family and am terrified them finding out how much I have messed up?

Can thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, Moo. said:

my concern now is they will go back through old cctv and see my bags are the same and think it’s happened before? not a chance , too much staff time wasted ..

Will the police be called now they have let me leave without calling them at the time? nope

I am so disappointed in myself and completely ashamed but am worried the police will turn up at my house, never will

I have a young family and am terrified them finding out how much I have messed up? you haven't, just a momentary lapse of reason.

forget about it, just dont use that store for a few weeks.

IF you do get any SCAM letters from either RLP or DWF comeback here.

dx

• Thanks 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thank you both for your reply

. I have contacted my GP as this has really woken me up and made me realise I need to talk to someone! I’ve not been in a great place recently and feel awful saying that as I have the most amazing family and feel like I have completely put all that at risk and for what??

I can’t say why I did it, I didn’t get anything out of it, I don’t know if it’s because I’m struggling but don’t want my children to go without or anyone to know, I don’t know if it was a cry for help to get caught to shake me up a bit, I keep asking myself why and I just don’t know.

Although I know there is no excuse at all, I have never felt shame and disgust like it and I wish I never got up that morning. I am living in a constant state of fear at the moment, I can’t eat, I can’t sleep and I know I only have myself to blame.

Im terrified that more will come from this, and they will peruse it further to make an example. I use the store all the time so I'm easily recognised I’d imagine. Can I make a donation to the store as some sort of compensation? Should I write a letter of apology?? I just don’t know what too do? 

How long does it usually take for a banning letter to come through? 
Thank you again.

Can I also add I’m in my mid 30’s and have never had any dealings with the police ever before. 

Well done for contacting your GP. It's helpful to talk things through and they won't judge you, any more than we do, they will have seen it all before and should know where to get help and suport.

I'm not sure about writing to the store, let's see what other people here think.

I don't think they will look for anything else on you. Are you able to shop somewhere else?

In terms of how you feel at the moment, I would try to let it go because if you shop elsewhere and pay for everything this will all go away. But remember how you feel now if you're ever tempted to try the same thing again, you can use this feeling to create something good from this.

HB

• Thanks 1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thank you for your reply. Do you think it also worth contacting a help line? I sat staring at the number yesterday just felt like there are people worse off then me who could do with the time more. I feel at such a loss and don’t know what to do. Will the GP refer me to anyone that could help? 

I’m worried about 1 of the security men, when he was talking to me I just froze completely so didn’t say anything which I think wound him up more and he became more agitated at my silence, I just didn’t know what to say, so I’m now panicked that I’ve put an even bigger pin than already was on my head!! I’ve been going through all old receipts so I can prove what I purchased previously but I don’t always keep them all.

I know I deserve to feel awful, I don’t for one minute condone my stupidity but I honestly would not wish this feeling on anyone. I try to teach my children right from wrong and they really are the greatest but how can I teach them now knowing how much I have messed up. 

If the store was to follow it up and make a police report at a later date what is the likely time frame for them to respond? I’m in there every week although not alway the same day. What do I also do if I receive a good record cost letter (I’m not sure if that’s the right term sorry?) and ignore it, can they then take me to court? 

Sorry for all the questions.

To add as well, I don’t want to leave the house let alone ever leave a store with any unpaid items again. It is not worth it in anyway, shape or form. I will be shopping online from now on.

We've never seen a case where the store contacted the police later. If they don't appear on the day, they won't later.

How about you stop beating yourself up and ring the helpline? :)  Of course you're deserving of their help, please do it.

HB

Thank you honeybee. I think I’ve been in shock the past couple of days but seeing you say I deserve help has made me cry. I don’t feel like I deserve anything after what I’ve done but I will call as I think I’ve have a lot of stuff I need to talk to someone about. Thank you for taking the time to discuss this through with me, it is greatly appreciated.

Nothing more will really happen that actually means anything. There's no real reason to write to anyone and likewise no reason to pay any attention to any scary letters you might get from scammers that prattle on about civil restoration if you ever do get any.

dx

• Thanks 1

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

How long does it normally take for any letters to come through? Are the police notified if a person is caught shoplifting even if they are not called to the scene? 

We're trying to explain to you that if the police didn't turn up on the day, we've never seen them turn up afterwards. :)

I'm not sure we know how long letters take, but apart from telling you not to go into the shop for the length of time they choose, there isn't normally much more to it. They may pass your details to a company like RLP or maybe DWF who are a parallel legal system who have no powers over you. If you get one of their begging letters, you come straight back here and we'll talk you through why you don't need to reply.

Are you having any joy with the helpline?

HB

Thank you.

I’m assuming that because of the bank holiday it may take longer for any letters to come.

I do understand what you are saying, I just can’t this one security guard out of my mind. He also got really funny when I gave them my name and address as i didn’t have any ID apart from a bank card to back it up.

I feel like I have given him more reason to be suspicious of me. The name and address I gave are all correct. He kept saying ‘we are friends, you need to be honest with me, we will go easier on you if you tell us the truth etc’ but I just couldn’t get any words out apart from ok.

Yes I called this morning when my husband went out but he came back sooner than I expect so I said I had too go. The lady on the phone was really lovely, I did ask if I could call again so I definitely will, she listened and said there was many places I could go to talk to someone face to face. I will be calling them again and hoping for a GP phone call back this week. 

Bear in mind that security guards are there to dissuade people from shoplifting so was doing is job in his way and I hope you can move on from that.

The helpline sounds like a really good find and if you can talk to them again, I'm sure it will help.

HB

Hi Moo.

the most important thing is that you have begun the steps to seek help. That is hugely important for your own well being.

as others have said-the police will not come along now. It isn’t often they turn up on the day, let alone later.

a letter may or may not come. If any letter does come, read it but if it asks for any other details come back on here and post details.

i would add that you are under no obligation to give security guards any of your details whatsoever. Whilst they can search your personal possessions, it can only happen with your consent. Nor are you obliged to answer any of the store’s questions.

Only the Police have the right to search and only to the Police are you obliged to identify yourself. Whatever the wrongdoing, it is important to stick to your legal rights.

i hope the help you get  helps you a lot. Don’t worry about what happened now. It’s been and gone. Look forwards.

• Like 1
  • I agree 1

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request)-13th September 2006

Prelim-12th October 2006

Offer recieved-22nd October

LBA-27th October2006 (busy times in the wijit household!(hence the delay)

Full amount offered 03/11/06

• 4 weeks later...

you came here in a distressed state and we helped you.

it would be really nice for others reading threads in the same initial state of panic in the future as you were, if you bothered to post a conclusion.

very few people bother to help others.

dx

and they

Hi dx, 

It is not that I have not been bothered in the slightest so please don’t assume that’s the case.

I am very grateful to everyone that took the time to reply to me.

From a lot of the forums, including this one, that I have been reading through over the last few weeks people seem to update when there is any news, still at this moment in time I do not have any.

I have receive nothing in the post, no banning or scary letters.

I still feel very on edge like I am waiting for something to happen, like I am waiting for the conclusion, I don’t know of this feeling will go over time.

If there is any change or I hear anything I will keep this thread updated. 

Hi honeybee, yes I have seen my GP and they have been a great. Talking to someone really does help. Thank you for all your previous advise.