Jump to content

Owen Vs Natwest


style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5632 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hi there


Im new to this site and just wondered if anyone could offer me some help.


In June 2006 i had a problem with my current account, I was told I still owed money to my student account, this was three years since I heard off NatWest about this account, I thought I had paid back my over draft as I had heard nothing.

I was told I could no longer have an account with Natwest so I agreed to pay the outstanding amount (around £120) on the 21st of July.

On the 14th of August I received a cheque from NatWest along with a letter saying all accounts were discharged and the cheque was made in respect of the overpayment i have made.

I moved to another bank but a mix-up at work caused them to send my wages to my old NatWest account, I phoned NatWest and was told it was no problem and i could take my money out straight away.

Now here we are. Last week I received a letter from a debt recovery agency saying I owed NatWest £300.14. I called NatWest headoffice but they said they couldn't help and I would have to go into the branch to find out what ahd happened.

I went in today and they told me that when I closed the account (23rd August) I took all money including what I owed them because the debt was not off set. How is this possible when a when a week before i closed the account i had the letter saying all acconts had been discharged?


Any help would be great as I am thinking of taking legal action against NAFWEST!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi fyrus/Owen,


You will find that the more you read around this site the more you will notice that the banks are far from straightforward with their customers, and that little phrase about Left hand and Right hand knowing what each is doing becomes more apparent!


If the debt collection agency (DCA) have indeed taken over the debt from your bank, they are obliged to provide you with copies of the agreement on your request under the Consumer Credit Act (CCA), on payment of the statutory fee (£1). You can find a good example of this in another thread ...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-bailiffs-advice/42988-debt-too-old.html ... in the debts and bailiffs forum.

This would provide you with information about the origin of the debt and what you owe ... or alternatively, you may find they backtrack and refer you back to the bank ... you could try some further communication with them to see what they will provide, but at this stage it is probably advisable that you tell them that you do not recognise ANY debt to the DCA ... because you are obviously unaware of any debt at this time!

Open some communication with the bank stating your case so far as clearly as possible, and stating you are extremely unhappy that a DCA has become involved on your previously closed and settled account ... see what they say. If need be you can do a SAR for your account information to see just what has happened on your account, before you take further action ... but do note that the bank don't always get that right either when they respond!!

Good luck with it ... :)

Outacash ...

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...