• Tweets

• Thanks very much Bank. I have topped and tailed my LOC and printed off a copy which I shall post tomorrow by First Class post at my local post office and also obtain a proof of postage. I'll also email them a copy. I've opened a MoneyClaim account, and shall now begin work on my draft Particulars of Claim which I shall post here for your thoughts. And I shan't be using the Moderation service.
    • Yes, it struck me this morning that I'd got it wrong    - no involvement of UKPPO in any previous Tesco thread    - there would have been an entrance sign to a Tesco car park    - CCTV isn't something associated with Tesco car parks. Presumably whoever runs the car park has put CCTV at the electric, and probably BB, areas, done absolutely nothing to stop abuse, and then rubs their hands in glee every time the CCTV catches a motorist out. You can pay £60 and this will go away. Or you can defy UKPPO and rely on their non-respect of POFA, consideration period, etc., should they be daft enough to do court later down the line.  We would support you all the way.
    • thats not the way to do it sorry. sorry so what is your problem? that vanquis paid the £560 or that they are now chasing it? how old is this debt? dx  
    • If you visited Qatar you could be detained at the border, if the debt has been notified.  If you are only in transit and do not seek to cross border into Qatar you might be ok, but you may want to seek formal advice about this.
    • Howdy, I had a short lived credit card with Vanquis that I did not need. I paid it off in full and called them and closed it with the person at the other end. 2 months later they started sending me messages about late payments, I called them and to find out that the card had not been closed in error and 6 weeks after it should have been closed they paid a google debit of £560. I hit the roof and made a formal complaint that took them well over a month to respond to. They agreed they were at fault, refunded all late payments fees and offered me £100 in compensation. However they said the debit amount stood as 'I had benefit from it' and I should get a refund from google. I hit the roof again but they have stuck to their guns. The debit from google is a genuine one but I wanted to dispute it with google so closed the card so they would have to engage with me. But surely that's neither here nor there surely? What is the next step? Ombudsman takes forever doesn't it?  thanks in advance
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Argos Gifting Platform

john18
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 721 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Recently discovered that Sainsburys/Argos Gift cards expire from date of activation not most recent use

I have been posting value onto these cards as part of a customer reward scheme up to Dec 2021

Apart from the T&Cs (attached) I have had no reminders of imminent expiry - is this strictly legal?

Argos have effectively taken £3000+ from my customers cards

Any ideas how to challenge this?

Standard-Gift-Card-Terms(2).pdf

it is clearly in at least 2 parts of their T&C's when these expire.

can't see a way out or extension, but they do say they will refund minus a handling charges if these are not ecards in certain circumstances?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

The pattern of use has been that the customer keeps the same card and has monthly deposits onto  it according to the rewards they have earned

The uploads are acknowledged by Argos but there is no reference to expiry being iminent (on a card by card basis) nor has there ever been!

yes but the cards themselves expire.

7.8 You shall encourage and ensure that the full value of the Gift Cards is used on or before the expiry date of the Gift
Card by the end customer. You shall have no claim against Us or any other business within Sainsbury’s or Argos
Limited for any Unused Value on Your Gift Cards.

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I wouldn't mind having a very brief point by point explanation of what these gift cards are and how they work.

Also, what kind of value are you potentially going to lose?

When was the last time you posted some credit on to a card and how long before the expiry date of the card was that?

As far as i can see this is not like other consumer gift card issues we see.

this is an argos business account, whereby said business has, sometime previously  themselves, issued 'their customers'  these argos giftcards, then 'top them up' as each customer orders their 'products ' and collect incentives as a thank you.

the cards issued by the trader to his customers under his business contract with argos have an Initial expiry date, unlike ones joe public can buy themselves direct from argos. The trader as part of his contract with argos must manage this not argos. 

• Thanks 1

and they

Thanks for all the feedback - As I understand the T&Cs the cards expire 3 years from 1st being loaded with points. All cards were registered at one time but only activated when points issues to them. Therefore not all cards expire at the same time. It made sense to me for my customers to keep their cards in their wallet/purse and have them updated with points each month rather than sending new cards each time!

Argos stated that their card-checking online service warns of imminent expiry but I can't see that it does (I've re-checked) - They will have taken over £3200 in total

However you haven't given the point-by-point explanation of the cards for I asked for in my earlier post

regardless to when the cards were activated, it's part of your business contract with argos to manage the cards you distribute.

The T&C's do not appear to state you need to send a new card at each top-up, however you as their manager should check the cards you send top-ups too are not close to their expiry date, thus losing said top-ups and alert your customers same.....or send on a new card and send top-ups to that.

7.10 You shall ensure that Your end customer is advised of the Terms and Conditions applicable to the consumer use of Gift Cards and eGift Cards, including the provision of replacement Gift Cards and expiry dates. These Terms can be found at 

https://www.argos.co.uk/help/terms-and-conditions/ for Argos Gift Cards.

for Argos Gift Cards.

and they

We still haven't received any explanation of the OP's position – but which I gather is probably as a business and how the cards really work.

However, I'm curious that a system could be operated where apparently a large company can walk away with a fair chunk of cash belonging to 1 of their customers and without providing anything in return.

Although it seems we are probably dealing with the business here – and for some reason or other – the OP apparently prefers not to answer my questions, the contract would still be affected by the Unfair Contract Terms Act which does render certain terms in a standard form contract as unfair and therefore unenforceable.

However, without the information I have been asking for and without a proper engagement in the thread from the OP it's difficult to understand the situation fully and to explore the possibility of taking the matter forward.

Answer to your queries:

I wouldn't mind having a very brief point by point explanation of what these gift cards are and how they work. Argos issue 500 cards to a trader like me who is looking to build loyalty with customers. I have an excel sheet of numbers with customers names against them. I "reward" customers each month with a value of "points" ... This is expedited by logging onto the gifting platform and entering values against each card.

At any point after that the customer can present their card to Argos at the point of purchase and "cash-in" the value or if they have a lot of points they can cover the whole cost of an item. Typically a customer might get £5-£50 per month rewards! this system has been in place since 2019

Also, what kind of value are you potentially going to lose?  £3200 approx

When was the last time you posted some credit on to a card and how long before the expiry date of the card was that? The last time was in January - one of the cards failed at that time but I didn't notice - I assume it was already expired!

Thank you. So I understand that you even applied credit to an expired card and they still accepted it and later on it could be used – is that correct or have I misunderstood.

Also, how many cards were there and what kind of value was applied to each one?

If we decide to go ahead with this then I think it would be better to fragment the problem so that your risk factor is reduced and so one would think about challenging them on the basis of one card only with a small sum on it

I've not explained it well probably but on the last upload  02 Feb 2022 - 13 cards accepted points - 1 failed (not noticed by me)  That card would have expired in Jan 2022 so it makes sense that it failed

The only legal argument I could think off would be that they do not appear to have the expiry date checker on their platform that they say they do:

Text from their email of 20-04-2019 - I am writing to you regards the response below, as much as I appreciate your disappointment the Gift cards supplied have an expiry longer than the market average and in terms of use and taking in to consideration of the COVID 19 pandemic both brands within the Sainsburys group (Argos & Sainsburys) have been open for business throughout to be able to redeem and shop as normally as possible.

Argos Gift cards have a dynamic balance checker that include the expiry and how long you have left to redeem them, plus can be validated on your Argos.co.uk profile/account, Sainsburys Gift cards can be checked via My account on the Sainsburys page also.

I appreciate expiry of funds not used is disappointing, but we do clearly advertise the Terms and conditions both on our physical and eGift cards as well as our dedicated Gift card web pages. Sadly, we shall not be able to extend your Gift cards as we do not have the functionality to facilitate this.

Please stand by for a reply later on .

However, you haven't fully answered my questions and I have many more to ask you .

I'm getting the hang of it I think, but I'm having to tease the information out of you .

I understand that you were running a business- what kind of business?

I understand that you use gift cards presumably to promote loyalty.

We may as well concentrate on the lower value gift cards because those are the ones that we will target if we decide to go ahead .

How many gift cards are there with about £100 credit on them ?

How many gift cards are there with about £500 credit on them ?

Do you have to purchase the gift cards before you start putting credit on them? Or are they given free of charge ?

You say that the time runs from the date of activation ?

How long is the life period Of these once they are activated?

If you have a particular gift card with about £200 still on it, then what was the expiry date of that?

And how long before the expiry date did you put the credit on ?

Looking At all the gift cards, how close to the expiry date did you put on any credit ?

You say that you keep a tally of everything and it should be easy for you to extract this information from some spreadsheet that you keep .

I don't want to see the whole spreadsheet and have to work it out for myself .

It would be really great if you could think carefully about the way you express all of this to somebody who doesn't understand any of it, but is trying their best to help you on his own volunteer time

Interesting as l was under the impression that Argos was not open during lock down 1 as not essential. Neither of ours were. 

lockdown 2,November, one was open as a pre brought service only and you had to go to the door counter with your code. Also under the impression that these cards could not be used online As we had one saying INSTORE USE ONLY printed on back. 

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.