Van lease contract ended but lease continued, now engine failure. Who's responsible ?

Posted (edited)

I am researching this on behalf of a relative but have full permission and they are sat with me now. 

He leased a van which he uses as sole trader as a builder. The lease of 5 years has passed and he is happily paying the same fee every month. Now the engine has given in and they are billing him over £3,000. My brother seems to think because his contract has run it's course and they have told him he has to pay, that he has to pay.

Here's the thing.

He signed a 5 year contract paying £305 per month. The contract ended and that to me means he is no longer tied to a time scale of enforcable payments.

If he then continues to lease the vehicle and pay the same set price, he is entitled to the same set service. During the contract, he didn't pay for anything. Services, MOT, tyres, everything that was deemed responsibility of the lease company, they took care of.

Now he has to pay MOT tyres, services, brakes and now 3k of engine failure.

What stopped him walking away at the engine failure ?

I am in the meantime getting him to check what paperwork he has and bills he has paid and is paying to take this further if he has to.

As it stands, if all the above is true, I think they are supposed to be covering it otherwise he is not getting the service he pays for.

TIA.

Edited by dx100uk
added A few blank lines only..dx

Eh?

Not his problem, its a lease van.

You wouldNt hire a taxi and be expected to pay to repair it if it broke down with you inside it would you?

Name names and scan the full agreement and its t&c's up to one mass pdf. Read our upload guide carefully.

Dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi

I have to agree with dx100uk

If the lease for the van has ended after 5 years then why hasn't that company either taken the van back or got him to sign a new lease agreement.

Since they have done neither of the above IMO the Original Agreement that they are still making payments for is still in force even after the 5 years it was initially signed for but we need to see what the agreement and T&C state to be sure.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group