first cars direct/montonova HP - Range Rover Evoque engine timing chain failure? after 1yrs.

Hi all

I bought a used RREvoque 67 plate 33k miles back in feb 2021 from a used car dealership.

car is in HP and has now roughly 37/38k miles on clock with 4 year left to pay.

the engine failed last week and recovery man in his opinion felt it was due to a timing chain issue..

it got towed to local Land Rover dealer and they said that the engine has failed due to the engine oil being congealed due to lack of service (they checked their online system and couldnt Find any service)

I explained that there is service history in the car (this was prior to me owning it) which they had access to and I didnt and after them checking they confirmed they had found a receipt confirming an oil change in 2020 at approx 24k miles.  However as this was done in an independent garage and receipt was handwritten they couldn't verify it.

I argued with them this proves that the oil has been changed and can the technician give another reason as to why he believe the engine to have failed.  They are not willing to do this..

since researching I have then found out my type of car has several faults and in particular one relating to DPF clogging which if not caught can lead to engine failure (and can also cause oil sludge)and another fault relating to the timing chain belt stretching.

after googling it is fair for me to believe a timing chain should last to approx 60-70k miles

my type of car is supposed to be serviced every 21k miles or 24 months.. 

it was serviced in oct 2020 therefore I am due to service it oct 2022

they have argued this service was late and should have been done in 2019 therefore I'm also late as mine should have been done in 2021. They then say the car has not been maintained to the standard it should have been.

I need someone to be blunt and tell me how it is cos I am struggling to see how a 4.5 year old car with 37k miles running at most 7months late on a service (with no request on the dashboard for this) would then have engine failure.

please help as I am not in a position to pay £15k for a new engine 😭

thanks and sorry for the long post

Why have you got to pay anything..it's not your car .not your problem!!

Who is the dealer, who is the finance company please?

Dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I seen you saying on the previous posts which I was intrigued about.

HP is motonovo finance.

Dealer is Taggarts North (Glasgow) 

I bought it from a used garage called first cars direct in Feb 2021

You are going to need an independent inspection report, so you have information available, if you want to pursue this legally.

WWW.THEMOTOROMBUDSMAN.ORG

If you have a dispute about your vehicle then you may be asked to get an Independent Technical Report to support your case.

The car is on finance, so your finance company has an interest in the car.  But it is whether this can be used to help you in this situation.

Was there any warranty on the car when you bought it ?  And does this still cover the car ?

What information was provided when you bought the  car e.g. service history, inspection checks by garage.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Forget any stupid warranty, not worth the paper its written on and would have runout by now anyway

follow that other thread you originally posted on.

and post up the information requested on there to your thread here.

inc some dates of these communications.

hope this hasnt all been done by phone so far with no papertrail

we need all the same stuff, like the full agreement from motonova etc etc..

Read upload carefully.

Dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• dx100uk changed the title to first cars direct/montonova HP - Range Rover Evoque engine timing change failure? after 1yrs.

No problem will pull out everything tomorrow and try get it uploaded. 

Warranty has run out as you'd expect. It was sold with full service history which is in the glovebox of the car.

I have already sent a detailed email direct to Land Rover as I had initially contacted them about them paying for the repair due to their fault. I stumbled across these threads earlier on so haven't even contacted the HP company yet.

I have asked the LR garage for copies of the diagnostic report as I'm aware they're palming me off.. I've yet to receive this so I've just chased the service manager on email for this.

worth point out that LR have yet to give me an exact cost of the repair as they don't know what it entails.

can I still use my CRA2015 even though it was used car and after 30days?  

I've tried to read up on this and it seems that it comes down to what is a reasonable amount of time to expect the goods to last.

I would argue that 4.5 years for a high end car is an unreasonable amount of time. Even without a service (which it has had just not at a land river garage) 

thanks for advice will gather all required info tomorrow 

looked into organising an independent assessor. 
can I ask should I be getting the car back from the dealer just now or can this assessment be done on their site? 
and does the dealer need to provide me with a detailed diagnostic report (at present it's a writing email from them telling me what the failure is due to their technician expertise) 

don't know if this is any use but attached is the document which states all the faults on my type of car which is publicly available (I had this prior to finding you guys)

D8 Dilution Explained.pdf

Attached is all I can get from the motonovo website.

Everything was signed digitally and I don't see a copy in my inbox, all paperwork relating to car is in the car so I have emailed the dealer asking if I can come down tomorrow to collect.  I am hoping that the original paperwork is their.

Failing that do I just contact Motonovo and request this? 

The car has a private registration but year of car is 67plate, registered in 2017. (don't know if this makes a difference)

MotoNovo Finance _ Details.pdf

i would be writing to motonova tomorrow, briefly informing them of what is going on and informing them as it's their car, they need to contact the dealership soonest to resolve this issue as its been dragging on for xxx weeks now.

should they fail to deal with the issue swiftly, then you will be exercising your consumer rights under both the consumer rights act 2015 and the consumer credit act within 14 days.

please remember next time you upload PDF's to REDACT any information that might ID you to the players reading here in your issue.

per i would also inform motonova where the car is and how to contact them.

On 09/04/2022 at 18:29, mummytobe said:

they have argued this service was late and should have been done in 2019 therefore I'm also late as mine should have been done in 2021. They then say the car has not been maintained to the standard it should have been.

utter BS, then the dealership is responsible for selling you a car not as advertised ...CCA VOIDED under CRA

and they

Independent engineers assessments can be done at garage where the car is, if the garage is OK to facilitate this. So speak to the garage about this.

Until the engine is taken apart they might not know exactly cause and what work is needed.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• 1 year later...

what happened please?

and they

• dx100uk changed the title to first cars direct/montonova HP - Range Rover Evoque engine timing chain failure? after 1yrs.