Business Electricity debt - Court judgement in favour of SSE on 18 November 2021

William Burroughs

Have been involved in a dispute with SSE since early 2016.

During summer 2016 they offered me an ex gratia payment of £500 in respect of their admitted failings in various areas.

I was intending to take the matter to law as substantial losses had been made, and SSE I felt the offer of £500 was derogatory in the extreme.

However early in 2017 I decided to accept the £500 and simply draw a line under the matter, as I realised that I didnt have the time or inclination to get involved with a long drawn out and costly small claims track claim.

I was astonished to be advised by SSE that they were unable to pay me the £500 as they had suggested in 2016, and this would need to be paid to a third party who was not personally involved in the dispute between myself and SSE from early 2016 to date, but had suffered substantial losses due to acts and omissions of SSE prior to my dispute.

Withdrawal of the offer to me seemed to have come about following the collusion of 2 members of SSE staff, who appeared to feel that directing payment toward the third party would extinguish any possibility of action by him in the small claims track at any time in the future.

Have now been trying for about 10 months to get some sort of explanation from SSE regarding the public reasons the offer of payment was withdrawn. The last request for this information being made by myself on 18th January 2018, when I was told it would be passed to customer complaints department for investigation.

The fact that the head of the customer complaints department was one of the people who had earlier colluded to redirect the payment, meant there was little hope of getting the matter looked at on an even handed basis.

When I phoned again today I was told that the account had been deadlocked since January 2017, which seemed surprising as I had had numerous telephone conversations with SSE subsequent to Jan 2017, and little over a month ago had been promised an investigation.

SSE seem eager of me to put this matter into the hands of the ombudsman, which will obviously mean a whitewash and zero possibility of anything being sorted out.

An attendant matter to the dispute is that I have been being overcharged for electricity at my small industrial unit for an extended period of time (my bill for one unit is more than 3 other units adjacent to mine in total, even though electrical loads are pretty much the same).

I spoke with SSE about this several times over the years, times were good i was making a fair amount of money and never pursued the matter or queried why my requests for a check meter to be fitted were never actioned.

My question for anyone who hasnt nodded off by this stage is

should I choose to pursue due process in relation to the overcharging,

bearing in mind I am not aware of the amount I need to claim, what should I put on the claim form?

Clearly before determining any sort of accurate figure there is a need for a check meter to be fitted, and that is something that isnt possible as SSE have decided to deadlock the account without any notice to myself.

I doubt if anyone can help with this, but you never know and I guess a post on here has to be worth a try.................

TIA if anyone can assist.

Please no barrack room lawyers or suggestions to go to the ombudsman though.

why don't you sar them for a start and get every piece of documentation you can

its a legal request and they cant refuse it.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Sse hq

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

It says SSE Supply Limited which is supposedly a separate entity to SSE Distribution Limited ?

Its impossible to get any sense out of SSE themselves and impossible to get any response from legal at Reading so contacting the ICO seems a very good idea..............

....thanks.

I will check with ICO on Monday then send SARs requests to both departments if ICO confirms details. Its worth bearing in mind that pretty much all large corporations are made up of several different entities now, and often use that to trip consumers up, by passing them back and forth between the departments.

• 4 years later...

I have been in dispute with my former electricity supplier, SSE, since late in 2015.  During the course of the dispute, SSE offered  me a payment of £500, suggesting this was in recognition of providing incorrect information and failing to return calls. In the course of the dispute, SSE generated 2 hard cut off notices, and sent agents to my business premises to disconnect the supply (the outstanding sum is related to a business account).

In finality, due to my ceasing payments in 2016, due to SSE's refusal to answer simple questions from me, regarding the £500 payment (which seemed to me a tacit admission of liability, in relation to serious misconduct of staff members), and the disconnection agent visits, which they seemed to be suggesting had not taken place, SSE decided to take this matter to law in the opening part of 2021, after several years of me being on a variable rate tariff, and a bill of almost £5000 had mounted up.

Due to my having little grasp of CPR, and being unaware of the fact that SSE, had no need to respond to an N266, asking for clarification of the curious way they had conducted themselves over several years,  during a hearing (which I thought was simply concerned with allocation of the case), judgement was entered against me, and I was ordered to pay SSE £5000 within the next 14 days.

Covid has affected my small business in a very negative way, and I simply could not afford to pay that sum of money within the required time frame. This being the case, I suggested to SSE that I would pay half immediately, and the balance in accord with a mutually agreed payment schedule. This offer was refused out of hand, with no reason given.

I then contacted Citizens Advice, for help with the situation I found myself in, and was passed to a partner organisation of theirs, "Business Debtline".  My primary concern, was that as my offer to settle the outstanding sum had been refused, SSE appeared to be intent on enforcing the debt though bailiff action. Business Debtline have not been tremendously helpful with this, and have provided advice, which had I taken it, would have meant I would have already been visited by bailiffs.

I have tried several times to get the order of the court varied, but all the submissions I have made (via N245s), have been rejected with no reasons given for the rejections.  I have also submitted EX160's as I cannot afford the fees related to various other  more costly applications, but it would seem that even though my increasingly worsening health, has meant no income for several weeks, I do not qualify for any help with fees, even though I have less than £3000 in savings.

Essentially at the moment, it seems all I can do is wait for notification of a visitation, by some tattooed sub epsilons, and should I not have won the lottery and be able to pay them £5000 + however many £1000s, their fees might amount to, then my small industrial unit, will be stripped bare, and my 17 year old van , which is now my sole form of transport will also be removed? 

Business Debtline cannot offer any accurate or helpful advice regarding this, so I would be extremely grateful if anyone on here can suggest anything  other than simply waiting for the knuckle draggers to call? 

• dx100uk changed the title to Business Electricity debt - Court judgement in favour of SSE on 18 November 2021
  • 2 months later...

Due to staff at my local county court not serving documents on the claimant, I was unable to enter a counterclaim, and judgement was entered against me (a matter related to energy charges). 

Upon querying this I was told over the telephone that court staff, are not obliged to adhere to CPR, which would explain the documents not being served. 

When I asked for confirmation of this in writing, there was no response, and the excuse given was that the court manager had been in meetings (for more than 2 months apparently!). 

I wonder if anyone knows if it is correct that there is now no need for court staff to comply with CPR in relation to case management and administration? 

If it's not correct, then could this be taken as an abuse of process, and form the basis of a strike out application of the previous judgement?

I would be very grateful for any help on this.....................

and they

Yes, I am trying to work out the curious way the court staff have handled certain matters related to my case, and if what I have been told about them having no need to comply with CPR is correct, most of this would be explained. 

is this to do with this N266 you filed?

and they

what part of CRP and what did they not forward?

dx

and they