Cargiant returns policy

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 749 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All, 

I am about to buy a car with Cargiant outright (Mercedes A class 2017) but when I test drove the car I heard a noise that seemed concerning. I agreed to buy the car dependent on if that issue was fixed. I have since spoken to halfords to arrange a full health check (if I go ahead and buy) and they told me that I should be covered under 30 days to return the car (consumer goods act). I called Cargiant and they said categorically that is not true and they do not offer refunds under ANY circumstances. surely this cannot be true?! are there instances where people take cargiant to a small claims court and lose the case?

I am very nervous about buying this car now and I am wondering if I should just buy with Mercedes themselves (although I cannot afford this right now). 

My current plan is:

- buy the car outright, assuming they have fixed the issue

- buy the warranty that comes with the car (covering all mechanical and electrical faults for 3 years at £900)

- take it to halfords for a full health check

- do a major service at halfords if the health check is fine

is this okay? I have only paid cargiant £200 as of now for a deposit which I can claim back if they fix the root cause of the noise issue.

I am unsure what to do as I dont know anything about cars and have no one in my life that is very car-savvy! 

would appreciate any help!

If the car is apparently fixed and then a defect manifests itself within the first 30 days, then you are entitled to reject the vehicle for a full refund .

However, I would be careful about dealing with a dealer which even before they have made the sale is apparently dishonoring there to my obligations towards you .

So, how do you know that it will be properly repaired? And how do you know it's the only fault ?

It seems to me that you have had a good warning about them and if you disregard it, then you may only have yourself to blame.

Forget the warranty.. burn the money instead..more use 

Dx

• Like 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Never buy a car from Car Giant, all clocked million milers and a terrible reputation, did you not look at any reviews before you decided?

Run away now, get your £200 back (if you can)  and think yourself lucky you didn't get stung for a lot of money for a worn out pile of rubbish.

I have decided to get a comprehensive inspection by RAC before I buy it.. that should limit the issues I have I assume! I have checked the MOT certificates online and the mileage doesnt seem to have discrepancies.. 

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, yonce1245 said:

- buy the car outright, assuming they have fixed the issue

- buy the warranty that comes with the car (covering all mechanical and electrical faults for 3 years at £900)

Yonce, an important point you need to understand about these 'warranties' are that they inevitably exclude anything subject to wear and tear, and that includes all the parts quite likely to go wrong. For example, you might imagine buying their warranty will protect you against a slipping clutch, a noisy gearbox, clunking suspension etc, but it won't, because they will say that such parts are subject to wear and tear in ordinary use, and in buying a car that's 5 years old you must expect wear and tear to have occurred. Sticking the knife in doesn't end there though, because the small print of your 'warranty' will also tell you that you're liable for the cost of diagnostics (electronic or mechanical) if the problem is found to be attributable to wear and tear.

In other words, DX is right, these warranties are entirely pointless. You are far better saving the money and, if need be, rely on your consumer rights, which the good people here will help you to enforce if need be.

A good piece of advice to take on board though is to make sure you don't get carried away in the excitement of a new car. They're not gold dust, there will be others the same out there, and if you're seeing issues before you even take delivery, I think you should consider what you're doing very carefully.

Edited by theberengersniper
Put body text in quote by mistake.
  • Like 1

Thank you for your advice everyone!

I have decided the following:

1) not to get the servicing and warranty from cargiant

2) subject to a CLEAN/adequate report from the RAC inspection, buy the car (since cargiant have said they have fixed the initial issue I was worried about)

I think the issue I have is there are literally zero reliable car dealers out there. I was considering buying a car £3k more from a Mercedes Benz dealer and found a discrepancy in the mileage on the MOT info online vs the actual mileage the car is showing. I think buying from a "reputable" dealer is nonsense, as even the most OFFICIAL dealers that you pay a premium for, can turn out to be just as useless as the cheap assembly line dealers. Assuming there is nothing wrong with the car (unlikely), I think its a great deal..

I will update on here once I get the RAC report, with cargiants response.