Care Home Woes

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 699 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all.

Bit of a sticky one here.

Posting on behalf of the other half who isnt tech handy.

She is an RMN staff nurse who has worked for the same company , at the same site , on basically the same contract for 28 years.
Recently - her employer has been shedding leased buildings that the care homes are based in , there may be financial issues - I dont honestly know.
Her care home may have lost their NHS funding (as care inspectorate reports show - they are rated highly ) so it is an unknown as to why this rumour has started, I can only surmise the company may be muddying the waters to cover their own tracks. I digress.

Rumours begun about the future longevity of the care home, which led to staff morale plummeting and obviously nervy nurses and care workers leaving to join more 'secure' employment - which has led to remaining staff increased workload , stress etc . Now they've found out that there is a push on to alter shift times - these changes mean night shift staff starting 3 hours earlier - but day shift staff only starting 30 mins earlier ( nightshifts were a few hours shorter than days ) leading to potential childcare issues, negative impacts on family life etc.

This has been done by a proposal pinned on a notice board - which staff that were off on holiday weren't aware of , and seems to be being pushed by the care home management itself...they had to choose which start time they preferred when they started doing 12 hour shifts , and no consultation whatsoever for actually changing to a 12hr shift pattern. My other half has worked there a long time - and doesnt want to alter to a 12hr pattern and is now talking about quitting.

Bearing in mind the fact the company alluded to redundancies due to the NHS funding stopping -I am looking ahead and can maybe see why this is happening right now, as it stands - their care home is unusual in that it doesn't do 12 hr shifts, others nearby in the same group DO , so am I being paranoid in thinking this is the companies get out of jail card ?

i.e offering suitable alternative employment , knowing that a lot of their staff at my partners care home are unable to do the 12hr shifts , leaving them no choice but to accept the 'proposed' changes or be dismissed , then losing any redundancy?

Q- The shift pattern is different elsewhere right now before the proposed changes - can this be termed as 'suitable alternative employment' or not ?

If not - and the company pushes through the proposals - is this constructive dismissal or unfair treatment ?

Any help would be great - head buzzing with all the stress.
Thanx

Edited by dx100uk
formatting

Hi,

start by reading this.

WWW.ACAS.ORG.UK

Advice for employers on considering, proposing and consulting about employment contract changes, and what to do if changes cannot be agreed.

• Like 1

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Hi ,

Thanks for the tip.
Ive had a quick look around it and some of it does look like this isnt being dealt with in the manner it should.
I dont understand half of it to be honest , it certainly looks like my partners company is trying to push changes to avoid paying redundancy to me.

It's much more likely it's easier for them if everyone works 12 hour shifts. Why would they want to lay people off when getting new staff is really difficult?

Don't get paranoid.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Sorry Emmzi - I honestly dont think thats the case here.

The story was leaked to local news recently that funding was stopping.
NHS here confirmed it, but the company has remained silent and gave no other details.
Staff have jumped ship left, right and centre. Most/all of the vacant positions at the other homes are now filled , funnily enough.

So what it looks like is that my other half now will either change to a shift pattern that will affect our work-life balance or lose a potential redundancy payment from a company thats employed her for over 25 years.

Poor treatment to decent and loyal staff that have fought covid over the last 2 years.

Sad day if it is :(

Thanx again.

Hi

Could you give us a link to that local news article?

I know Care Home throughout the UK are under a lot of pressure due to the impact of COVID-19 and this added so much pressure on all the staff of these Care Homes who themselves were impacted and do a fantastic job but added financial impact on all care homes with the added protections and medical equipment they had to purchase with no assistance from the Government

Is the Care Home she works in part of a Group of Care Homes?

Is the Care Home Private Run even if it has a Charity Registration Number? (when I ask that it is not run by the Local Authority/Council)

Have you ask the Care Home Manager about these Shift Changes and the reason about the difference between Day/Night Shift?

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Thanks for the reply STU007 - you a tankie perchance ?

The news article was in the local press - which was down to the NHS making a PDF downloadable which was released in error , and someone noticed it ( may have been a relative of a resident ) and wasnt too pleased to hear that the place was in line for closure and nobody had even consulted them.

I have a copy of the PDF , and will send you some snippets if possible.

The company was in administration not too long ago AFAIK.
I can provide a link but will not do it on an open forum.

Wont let me pm you ?

1. Yes. Part of a major group in that sector.
2. Care home is run by the company ,but strictly for NHS funded residents. They lease the building from someone else, it isnt owned by them.
Currently more staff than residents , that in itself tells you where this is heading , roger so far ?

Thanks again.

post the PDf to this thread 

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi

Yup a Tankie for 18 years 'Fear Naught'.

You can't PM at present as you need to have made a certain amount of posts.

I can appreciate why you don't want to post it on here as it was not meant to be generally available but the NHS messed up and certain people could access it and understand posting it here could cause issues.

As for what's happening with the Care Home sadly this is the case throughout the UK with the Care Home Sector and the massive financial impact the pandemic has placed on this sector with the added financial cost with all the extra protections they have had to put in place with no extra funding by Government to fund those costs and the loss of income with care homes having to go into full lockdown  if covid-19 outbreak therefore not allowed to accept new residents.

My own Dad went into the Care Home system during the Pandemic and 3rd Care Home (Local Authority run) previous 2 were private run and part of a Group and at such short notice both closed stating financial reasons and the staff in both had no clue this was going to happen the first they new was when Director appeared and told them then poor Manager had to inform Resident & Families.

I eventually found out the the 2 care homes that closed that were part of different Groups were in financial difficulty and were closing down a few Care Homes mainly the ones that needed to try to keep the others within there Groups financially viable

Even complained to Regulator about such short notice and Regulator response was basically it's a Private Care Home and they can close down if they wish.

Sadly none of this at present will help your other half but she needs to have a good read of her Contract of Employment to see exactly what is says if any clauses about Shifts or for Business needs. She also need to check it for the just in case the rumour of possible closure isn't a rumour to see what she may be entitled to if possible redundancy.

Have a good read of the link Emmzzi posted in post#2

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help and advice guys.
Ex 91st/93rd here myself Stu007.
Situation kind of resolved , and yep 100% correct Stu - I couldnt name names or specify anything without possibly jeopardising my OH's position.

SITREP - regional director was forced to get involved after SWMBO team got organised and contacted him for a sit-down and chat.

Turns out - allegedly - he was unaware how far reaching the changes were - i.e shifts being changed , people giving serious thought about quitting etc.

Cutting a long story short ....a compromise was reached in the meantime until their HR got it under control ( temp home manager was pulling a flanker and making changes for her own benefit - without the necessary clearance to go ahead.)

Kind of irrelevant now - she applied for , and was accepted by the local council, for 2 positions and can take her pick of the jobs ,

I wasn't impressed as she has just passed up a redundancy payout for her service...but anything for a quiet life ,roger so far ?

A chieftain nearly wiped me out in sennelager and got my revenge in BATUS by redesigning a few gonk bags that the aforementioned tankies had ( rather foolishly ) bungeed onto their wagons .
Cheers again.

Hi

Thanks for the Sitrep and glad to see that it is sort of resolved at the moment but please keep us updated on this just in case they try something else.

You know where we are if you need any further advice and be safe and wish you well.

Oh I hope that wasn't you doing that to my chieftain, that what happened to us as our infantry unit playing enemy in sennelager were not happy as they got a bollocking off Brigade as to how we managed to wipe then completely out in less than 24 hrs so they got their revenge in BATUS on us.

Dam lot knew what were in those bin hearing that rapid ding, ding, ding, ding from inside the chieftain but it was one hell of a smoker at index where all forgotten you got us back lets get the bonfire, booze and barbecue going. sadly they ain't allowed to do some of that anymore.

As said you know where we are if you need any further assistance but please let others know we are here to help in all different areas.