Abbey won't send me last 6 year statements

mackay32

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5636 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I've been waiting for 3 months for Abbey to send my last 6 year statements. They sent me the last 2 years within 2 weeks. But I am still waiting (3 months now) for the previous 4 and half years. I have a fair idea of how much I paid in charges and it's around £5376!!

I now want to issue proceedings. Should this prompt Abbey to reply stating the figure they feel they owe me. If I claim a figure larger than the amount I've been charged then what will happen? Should this prompt Abbey to reply stating the figure they think they owe me and will this delay the proceedings?

Welcome to the forum, when you say abbey wont send you your statements did you send them the SAR template from the library here?

If so then you need to be sending a complaint to the Information commissioners office since they are only allowed 40 days assuming you applied in the right way.

You can use an estimated figure but if or when it gets to court you will have to prove the value of your claim.

If you wish to do this then IMHO you need to also claim for non-compliance with the DPA in your claim too and a line saying something like when they supply the data you will amend the claim value accordingly.

In truth i think this is probably an oversite bu if you complain to the ICO and send a copy to abbey you will probably get the rest pretty soon, notwithstanding the caveats about proper application.

HTH

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

When you say the proper way what do you mean?

I called Abbey's customer service at the begining of September and they told me they would debit my account for £10. I then recieved a response on 11th September asking me for £10 for the archived statements but recieved my computerised statements within 2 weeks. As I was away I did not see the request letter until 9th October.

I called their complaints department on 16th October and they said I did not need to send the £10 charge and I would recieve the statements within 2 weeks. As you can guess I did not recieve the statements within 2 weeks and made a follow up phone call and was told the same thing. I've been told the same thing every 2 weeks for the past 7 and a half weeks have recieved another letter requesting £10 around 23rd November which I sent by cheque and have had the £10 cheque returned to me and told my request has already been dealt with (dated 29th Nov). My case has been logged on their complaints department computer system all the time and I have 7 names of the people I have dealt with including 1 from admin who was supposed to be "sending out" the statements today and a customer complaints manager who is supposed to get back to me within the next 48 hours.

Can I presume that I can now send my complaint to commissioners office and start my proceedings ?

When you say the proper way what do you mean?

A written application as set out in the template library.

I called Abbey's customer service at the begining of September and they told me they would debit my account for £10. I then recieved a response on 11th September asking me for £10 for the archived statements but recieved my computerised statements within 2 weeks. As I was away I did not see the request letter until 9th October.

I called their complaints department on 16th October and they said I did not need to send the £10 charge and I would recieve the statements within 2 weeks. As you can guess I did not recieve the statements within 2 weeks and made a follow up phone call and was told the same thing. I've been told the same thing every 2 weeks for the past 7 and a half weeks have recieved another letter requesting £10 around 23rd November which I sent by cheque and have had the £10 cheque returned to me and told my request has already been dealt with (dated 29th Nov). My case has been logged on their complaints department computer system all the time and I have 7 names of the people I have dealt with including 1 from admin who was supposed to be "sending out" the statements today and a customer complaints manager who is supposed to get back to me within the next 48 hours.

Can I presume that I can now send my complaint to commissioners office and start my proceedings ? No not unless you filed the request in writing and paid the fee.

When they wrote back to you with the data they did send, did they put a letter with it and what did it say?

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

MBNA - Settled in Full

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

Hi , I have had the same problem with the Abbey over exactly the same 4yrs and 7 mths of statements , they claim to have destroyed them ( read my thread) I have gone down the information commissioners route , they told them they should supply them , then they turn round and said they have destroyed them , info comm then says that thats the end of their involvement. I have a court case in progress to try and get these statements, if not I require proof they have been destroyed.

Hmm perhaps the HM Revenue & Customs would be interested to read that they are destroying documents that are less than 6 years old ;)

REFUNDED

Hubbys - HSBC £4,165 paid 18/8 after MCOL issued :)

HSBC - £651 paid 18/8 after MCOL issued :)

HSBC - £147 Prel 7/8, LBA 21/8, MCOL 6/9 £241

Hubby Halifax - Prel 29/7 £215, LBA 21/8, Offer rec. £110 22/8, MCOL 6/9 £298

Abbey - £2758 - Prel 26/6, LBA 10/7 - MCOL 26/7 £3,391, offer 25/8 £1,755.94, paid £3567.32 after Case manag hearing

Barclays - £675 Prel7/8, LBA 21/8, offer received £300 MCOL 6/9 £998 - Paid £1,012 before going to Court

Tiggs

As far as i can ascertain there is no legal obligation to hold documents for any particualr period and the IR told me verbally that they now only ask for three years worth of records.

I have found nothing that actually forces anyone to keep records for specific periods in this context.

If you know of a bit of legislation that says otherwise then id be pleased to know.

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

MBNA - Settled in Full

Glenn Vs MBNA

Ironically I got home frm work yesterday and there was a envelope from Abbey containing the statements I requested.

I didn't request in writing or pay the fee as I just called the complaints department on 0845 600 6014.

The manager who confirmed they had been sent out was call Shah Mohammed.

I advise anyone who is having the same problem as me, to get on the complaints departments back like I did because it paid off for me!!!

My claim comes to £4,482 inc interest!!

Mackay

Something worth thinking about is that if you advise people to ring that person make sure you also tell them they must have filed the papers correctly in the first place.

If they ring and don't get their data then they have no recourse in law, so it should be an additional route, not a substitute.

As much as you received your data Abbey are still playing a game it appears to me on occaisosn and so people should file first ring second.

HTH

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

MBNA - Settled in Full

Glenn Vs MBNA

GlenUK - I just told my story how it happened. Before I registered to the CAG I had no idea about S.A.R or the Commissioner. Had I known before hand I would have used that route first, because as you rightly said, recourse through law could have been difficult.

Bluemoo2 - I made my first phone call to complaints around the 16th October and recieved them on the 14th December (2 months). They contacted the admin department and kept teling me I'd recieve the statements within 10 - 14 days, so I had to call them back after every unsuccessful deadline, and ensure that they not only contacted the admin department but also contacted me the same day to confirm the statements would be re-sent. A couple of the assistants were a little reluctant to apply urgency to my case where as others were very helpful.

However another point worth noting for all those who started out making or who have been making phone calls, I did and it is always advisable to note everybody's name you speak to and when you call back not only get the persons name you get through to, but also ask them to confirm and clarify the notes that should have been made on the computer system contains correct information about the conversation from your last phone call. The advantage of doing that is provided their computer system does not crash, you can refer to that evidence (which is not entirely neccesary if you use S.A.R) in your claim. However the disadvantage would be if their computer system were to crash. Plus it is not unusual to speak to staff memebers who for some reason do not always log the full details from their last phone call with you, so it's always advisable to confirm this has been done before ending the call.

Mackay

I'm not sure if were talking at cross purposes here but maybe its worth confirming some facts.

For SAR to be valid is MUST be in writing, this is what the act says.

Re phone calls, as much they're notes are OK, your notes are a lot better, recordings are better still and written correspondence is best.

When you make your notes, time, date, name of the other party and a precise of the facts should be the minimum.

Finally sorry if my posts come across as abrupt or seemed critical in any way, was not meant to be, we all learn lots from reading and doing stuff as a result of being on here.

For my part things i have done in the past i wouldn't do again its all part of the learning process for all of us i think.

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

MBNA - Settled in Full

Glenn Vs MBNA

GlenUK

I just wanted to clarify what happened as I was so happy I recieved my statements, I was not as conscise at the time as I could be. Clarity is one of my weaknesses so I usually respond this way by habit. I didn't intended to sound defensive, so I apologise if it sounded that way.

Thanks for you help and keep doing what you do because it's highly appreciated.

Hi,

I have been waiting since 7th March for my statements, always had a reply from abbey, usual fob off, finally issued them with a court order last Tuesday and by Friday all my statements had arrived.

Been dealing with Pam Speed and Helen Huntley at Milton Keynes, Helen Huntley is supposed to be Cutomer Resolutions Manager.

Looked through the statement and at the moment I'm up to £4500 in charges so this weekend I will be working through the process of claiming them back.

Keep on to them and don't give up. the court order cost me £30 and I am still going a head with it and claiming £120 for all the letters I have written to them

Regards

Steve.

I have been sending duplicate letteres to Bradford, Milton Keynes and London in regard of my claim because one department denies all knowledge of what the others are doing!! Also, The Information Comissioner has concluded that Abbey have been breaching their statutory obligations with regard to Abbey claiming that microfiche was not subject to The Data Protection act. Stick firmly to your guns - do not ask for your records demand them as your right and do not take any ridiculous excuse that they may give you to prevent or delay this.

:rolleyes:

bluemoo2 - I guess all you can do is keep on. Follow the route, ie: commissioners straight up ! (I didn't give them a chance to breath -Kept on them the day of each deadline - they hated it!)

I sent preliminary letter today by special delivery - do not want any excuses !!

Going to start a new thread about the experience - Good luck all !

mackay

sent non compliance letter by rec delivery on thursday and on tues morning the missing 4 years of statements turned up!!!!!!!!!

just worked out charges...£1840....so sent prelim approach this morning asking for MY money back

lynn

Bluemoo2 - Excellent news!! I just tracked my prelim by special delivery on Royal Mail's site and it said it was delivered today...1 day and counting!!!!:)

Heres the link to my new thread:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/54126-mackay32-abbey-prelim-stage.html#post447695