• Tweets

• Interesting that dodo has only been there 10 minutes and tories are saying she should go as the public have 'lost faith' in test and trace   LOL Scapegoat Harding for the crap from before this version of trace a test and lie even existed. No sympathy from me though.  
    • OK, but I would advise that you keep clear in your mind what you want to achieve. I would think that you want to have free and clear title to the car.   To get that, I would say you already have enough to have your solicitor put a letter together and approach MB, without the co-operation of the seller. They may well just issue the title and you're done, after all I doubt this is the first time this has happened to them. If not, you can still pursue the seller via your solicitor but given that he is a scammer I wouldn't hold out much hope of him suddenly coming clean!   Just my opinion, I'm not a solicitor but I have been in situations not unlike this and know that it easy to make things more complicated for yourself by not 'keeping your eyes on the prize'.   Best of luck.
    • The concept of "manifest error" is sometimes used in construction contracts and expert determination agreements.Manifest error does not represent a generally available legal ground for attacking an otherwise "final and binding" certificate or determination. It therefore needs to be written into a contract as a basis for invalidating a certificate or determination.   Where a contract does provide for a certificate to be final and binding except in the case of "manifest error", Amey v BCC confirms that a "plain and obvious" mistake will need to be established in order to challenge such certification.   A "manifest error" need not be "plain and obvious" from the relevant certificate itself. In Amey v BCC, the "manifest error" became evident from a consideration of the terms of the Contract as well as the previous conduct of the parties when the certificates were issued.
    • Hi thanks for the advice. Yes, I will talk with the solicitor tomorrow (AWH solicitors, as they seem to have random experience with such cases) and provide what I have collected so far. The seller said he will only talk with my solicitor, so be it then. I will however push the solicitor to exercise fear tactics that we are in a position to contact his employer since he used company properties and that we need to do this to find out who holds the title; this is more or less to get his cooperation to the full extent and release any information deemed important to my case. The first step would be for the solicitor to motivate him signing a letter of good faith to me and pass all the relevant info to MB. I guess having a solicitor to communicate on my behalf with seller and MB will keep me within the domains to the full extent of the law to keep the car and have the HPA title removed (praying that the seller is customer of MB...otherwise I may face a legal battle to sue the seller if MB rejects to give me a good faith title). Aside this if nothing works out, as a (private) buyer, I can also exercise my rights to cancel the purchase within 30 days since the car was not fit for sale and sue the seller in court (small claims tribunal) if he does not refund my money. I do hope he may be the proud owner of a house, be married, and enjoy sufficient income for me to get my hands on all means he owns to get my money + costs back.
    • UK academics: opening of universities was illegal https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/oct/24/uk-academics-opening-of-universities-was   "On 21 September, the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) advised the government to introduce immediate measures that would require universities and colleges to move all their teaching online “unless face-to-face teaching is absolutely essential”.   Minutes of the meeting, which were disclosed publicly on 12 October, show that the committee warned that “outbreaks are very likely in universities”, and emphasised that the risk of Covid-19 death and severe disease was higher for university and college workers than for students. A week after receiving this advice, Williamson reassured MPs about the “safety” of students to return to university campuses"    
  • Our picks

• Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies
    • Oven repair. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/427690-oven-repair/&do=findComment&comment=5073391
      • 49 replies
    • I came across this discussion recently and just wanted to give my experience of A Shade Greener that may help others regarding their boiler finance agreement.

We had a 10yr  finance contract for a boiler fitted July 2015.

After a summer of discontent with ASG I discovered that if you have paid HALF the agreement or more you can legally return the boiler to them at no cost to yourself. I've just returned mine the feeling is liberating.

It all started mid summer during lockdown when they refused to service our boiler because we didn't have a loft ladder or flooring installed despite the fact AS installed the boiler. and had previosuly serviced it without issue for 4yrs. After consulting with an independent installer I was informed that if this was the case then ASG had breached building regulations,  this was duly reported to Gas Safe to investigate and even then ASG refused to accept blame and repeatedly said it was my problem. Anyway Gas Safe found them in breach of building regs and a compromise was reached.

A month later and ASG attended to service our boiler but in the process left the boiler unusuable as it kept losing pressure not to mention they had damaged the filling loop in the process which they said was my responsibilty not theres and would charge me to repair, so generous of them! Soon after reporting the fault I got a letter stating it was time we arranged a powerflush on our heating system which they make you do after 5 years even though there's nothing in the contract that states this. Coincidence?

After a few heated exchanges with ASG (pardon the pun) I decided to pull the plug and cancel our agreement.

The boiler was removed and replaced by a reputable installer,  and the old boiler was returned to ASG thus ending our contract with them. What's mad is I saved in excess of £1000 in the long run and got a new boiler with a brand new 12yr warranty. 

You only have to look at TrustPilot to get an idea of what this company is like.

• Thanks
      • 3 replies
    • Dazza a few months ago I discovered a good friend of mine who had ten debts with cards and catalogues which he was slavishly paying off at detriment to his own family quality of life, and I mean hardship, not just absence of second holidays or flat screen TV's.

I wrote to all his creditors asking for supporting documents and not one could provide any material that would allow them to enforce the debt.

As a result he stopped paying and they have been unable to do anything, one even admitted it was unenforceable.

If circumstances have got to the point where you are finding it unmanageable you must ask yourself why you feel the need to pay.  I guarantee you that these companies have built bad debt into their business model and no one over there is losing any sleep over your debt to them!  They will see you as a victim and cash cow and they will be reluctant to discuss final offers, only ways to keep you paying with threats of court action or seizing your assets if you have any.

They are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty or moral duty, that must remain only for yourself and your family.

If it was me I would send them all a CCA request.   I would bet that not one will provide the correct response and you can quite legally stop paying them until such time as they do provide a response.   Even when they do you should check back here as they mostly send dodgy photo copies or generic rubbish that has no connection with your supposed debt.

The money you are paying them should, as far as you are able, be put to a savings account for yourself and as a means of paying of one of these fleecers should they ever manage to get to to the point of a successful court judgement.  After six years they will not be able to start court action and that money will then become yours.

They will of course pursue you for the funds and pass your file around various departments of their business and out to third parties.

Your response is that you should treat it as a hobby.  I have numerous files of correspondence each faithfully organised showing the various letters from different DCA;s , solicitors etc with a mix of threats, inducements and offers.   It is like my stamp collection and I show it to anyone who is interested!
        • Thanks

the funding corp worst company ever!!!

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2006 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Well, after speaking to a real nice lady from cabot and explaining my dilema, and telling her that I had my gap insurance and credit agreement still, she said she would look into it and the debt should'nt be enforced.

This was some four months ago so I've checked my credit file and it says account settled in full and final but is short of the total balance.

Hopefully this is the end of it maybe....

Well, it's been nearly a year and all of a sudden a letter drops on my floor from cabot , its been nearly a year since I sent them my gap and policy docs to prove I don't owe anything.

I phoned them to yet again state that I owed them nothing and sent all relavent info over a year previously.

I got passed onto a guy who said theycould not get hold of me, even though I live at the same address with the same phone no.

He was trying to get me to admit the debt or pay some money, even a fiver but I kept telling him I owed nothing, he then threatened me with doorstep collection etc, but wouldn't let me go until I admitted the debt, which I did'nt because I don't owe anything.

I then checked my credit report which states that the account was settled as "Payment received as a full and final settlement although the payment would not fully clear the balance." and the account is listed as satisfied on the 23/12/2005 and the start date as 19/5/2004.

The default balance is also listed as £0 and the account listed as settled.

Can I stop these harrasing me by using the limitation act?

Maybe thats why the guy on the phone seemed so desparate for me to accept these fake debt.

Surely they can't chase a debt that is listed as settled on my credit file!

Please help, I'm sick of all these creditors getting in touch every year for me to tell them and send them the same documents...

• 1 month later...

Just a quick question on these people.

Mum & Dad bought a car from them some years ago. Dad retired two years ago, tried to cancel the PPI, and was refused. Since then, we've started action against the mis-selling of the PPI and the retirement stuff.

The account is clearly in dispute as it is lodged with the FOS and we are now awaiting the decision from the adjudicator (despite not seeing any of the evidence supplied by The Funding Corp which makes it almost impossible to argue or defend our case against them!).

Anyway, on the day we received a letter from FOS informing us that the case had now been passed on to the adjudicator, we received a letter from DCA called Red2Black which is based in the same office in Chester chasing for the outstanding amount. We have written to them to inform that while the account is in dispute we won't be paying them - and furthermore we will pass their letters on to the FOS as it is clearly an attempt to harrass my Mum & Dad in to either paying up or accepting possible lower damages (maybe even trying to get them to court so that the FOS has to throw out the case?).

The question then is:

Can they chase (and/or sell to a DCA) a debt that on an account that is clearly in dispute? Should I inform the FOS, OFT and others of this attempt to badger my parents?

Thanks in advance.

hi, i used to work for tfc, i hated the company when i worked for them and even more so now. quite frankly they are an utter disgrace, i will never recommend this company to anyone. the individuals who run the company from the top are quite frankly some of the most crooked people i have come across. if there is anything you would like to know please let me know. As i am pursuing a claim against them myself

my husband bought a car through this company in 2006 and took out gap insurance but was told he could not have the car if he didnt take out ppi. the was stolen around 6 months after purchase and the gap insurance did its job and we thought that was that. wrong! there was still money oweing on the ppi as they had paid this 5 years in advance unknowing to us and now want it back from us, even though we didnt want it the first instance.the sum started at 1000.00 and now stands at 5000.00 dont know where they get this figure from but have just started a claim against them for mis sold ppi .do you know if they have done this to anyone else

hi

my husband took out a car loan with tfc in 2006. we were told if we didnt purchase ppi we couldnt have the loan.we also took out gap insurance.6 mths after we bought the car it was stolen, the gap paid out and we thought that was that.nope! we still owed over £1000 for ppi which they had paid for 5 years in advance for which they didnt tell us this.we are now 4 years later trying to reclaim these ppi charges which tfc has very generously added another £4000 in interest.why would we need ppi if we dont have a car?

• 4 weeks later...

Earlier in the thread I spoke about taking legal action against The Funding Corporation.

This action has now been taken and I would like to know how much information I can give regarding the outcome.

TFC are very worried on how much I give out, as they have tried to keep me quiet, but I want to tell all.

ADMIN. Is there any chance I can scan court docs, barristers statements up etc with my data on? is this allowed?

I want TFC to know who is posting this information, as I want to hurt them like they have hurt so many others in the past. I want to have my full name on view, but is this against the site rules?

As I said TFC have no valid gagging order on me, although they have tried for one, and my Solicitor is going to be also making public the result to whom they please.

I have no qualms about posting up what I have or any of my personal details, and would not hold the site liable for any comeback on me, although I do not want to cause trouble for the site itself.

Thanks.

Earlier in the thread I spoke about taking legal action against The Funding Corporation.

This action has now been taken and I would like to know how much information I can give regarding the outcome.

TFC are very worried on how much I give out, as they have tried to keep me quiet, but I want to tell all.

ADMIN. Is there any chance I can scan court docs, barristers statements up etc with my data on? is this allowed?

I want TFC to know who is posting this information, as I want to hurt them like they have hurt so many others in the past. I want to have my full name on view, but is this against the site rules?

As I said TFC have no valid gagging order on me, although they have tried for one, and my Solicitor is going to be also making public the result to whom they please.

I have no qualms about posting up what I have or any of my personal details, and would not hold the site liable for any comeback on me, although I do not want to cause trouble for the site itself.

Thanks.

Hi Nish40

I have had on going issues with these clowns for over 2 years now and would be interested in any information you are willing to share. Out of Interests which Solicitors did you use? Was it Stephensons?

Thanks.

If it was Stephensons your successful outcome will appear in their newsletter

I would suggest that as you have not signed a gagging order that you post the details withholding ALL identifiable data & if someone who's fighting them wants to know the precise details, citation no etc, they can PM you or the mods

If it was Stephensons your successful outcome will appear in their newsletter

I would suggest that as you have not signed a gagging order that you post the details withholding ALL identifiable data & if someone who's fighting them wants to know the precise details, citation no etc, they can PM you or the mods

Thanks guys, yes it was Stephensons.

I really want these idiots to see it is me dishing out the dirt.

I am looking into options now regarding talking to a national newspaper, as this paper run a financial section with good and bad regarding companies.

I will prepare what I need and put it up quite soon.

What I can share is that most people have the same issues as I had, and believe me they have ended up out of pocket on my case.

When the details are up, please anyone feel free to pm me or email my private address to which I will make up a separate hotmail address for.

Keep watching

Thanks.

Hi Nish

CONGRATULATIONS AND WELL DONE!!!!

I would love to know more as I am still in dispuite with these guys for mis selling gap insurance which following a no fault acident has left me with a finance shortfall of over 10 grand.

Thx :D

Hi Nish

I would love to know more as I am still in dispuite with these guys for mis selling gap insurance which following a no fault acident has left me with a finance shortfall of over 10 grand.

Thx :grin:

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Nish

Thx :D

HOPE YOU WIN

let us all know and then we can hert them hard where it herts like they have done to us

Great, surely this can't be right...

After SAR'ing TFC some time ago (and they have still failed to acknowldge my request, but cashed the £10 postal order in which i sent) the account has now de-faulted which i was aware of happening.

Is it right and perhaps legal to send out default letters at £30 each to let me know i am late paying? As i have had 3 so far this month totalling £90 in late payment fees and charges. My monthly payment is not much more than the fees they have added to the account, thus doubling the amount i have to pay to them.

• 3 weeks later...

me too !!!!!!! just payed off my acf/cygnet finance car, not been able to drive it for eighteen months due to major faults on engine !i a m cuurrently trying to get my ppi package refunded (over two grand) they have offered me £500 which i have turned down with regards to there staff they are rude, arrogant and on occasion offensive i would advise anybody not to go near them your better off walking to work than get a car off these criminals i will put another post up when i hear about ppi claim . have fun folks .

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my word. We are not the only ones experiencing the hell of the funding corporation. We currently have over a £1000 in late payment charges, purely cause they will not change the payment date. I refuse to pay any of the charges, which are so high because of the rediculous amount of phone calls and letters they send. If you decide to answer the call, it is silent, but the calls are around 8 a day on each of the 2 contact numbers they have for myself a nd my husband. We too got the car ina hurry from carcraft, and were told it was one of the best finance companies around, due to our good credit. We had excellant credit before taking out this loan, so why we got stuck with these is a mystery to me. We too got into arrears of 3 months, and although we contacted them to tell them we were waiting on money owed to pay them, they still sent a baliff round. We made the full arrears (minus charges) but when we tried to make the payment, we were told to phone to baliff on his mobile number and make the payment direct to him. I did not think this was right, and took legal advice, which confimred that any payments shold only be made to them direct. We sent a cheque, which they took no problem. We have since been late with payments (no more than a month) and the phone calls start from the end of the payment date. I have 18 payments left to make to them and can not wait for them to be out of my hair. I have never had so much trouble with a finance comapny before, and will be logging the calls as harrassment with trading standards, after reading these posts.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I purchased a 2002 Ford Mondeo from Approved Car Finance in 2005. The terms of the agreement were over 4 years and that payments would be made as follows £302 per month but I paid off the interest in the first 2 years then I paid for the car. I did this, although I made a few late payments I always contacted Funding Corp to inform them of this and to make an arrangement to clear the arrears. After 2.5 years I found I was really struggling to pay £302 per month (bearing in mind the vehicle was only worth £5000 due to high mileage) and so contacted Funding Corp to discuss a payment option or re-finance - they refused. I then had a letter saying that due to the fact I could not pay for the vehicle that they would be repossesing it. At this time I can honestly say I didn't care what they did. Under the terms of the contract as I had cleared the interest if they took the vehicle I would have nothing else to pay. The company collected the vehicle which was in immaculate condition (better than they gave it to me) I then had a letter stating I owed £18000 for the vehicle and that they had only been able to get £600 at auction for it. This totally confused me and even more so when they said that the contract was for 5 years and that there was no get out clause. I have since been bombarded with letters saying they are willing to reduce it to £10757!!!! Thanks for that!!! I have informed them that I have no way of paying this amount, their response? we will take you to court. I have told them to feel free to take me to court as no judge in this land would allow them to extortion that amount of money out of somebody on Income Support (my son is disabled). My other alternative is to go bankrupt but you have to owe over £15000 to do this and as the Funding Corp have reduced the amount I owe to £10757 I cannot do this either. As yet I have only had letters from them as I changed my telephone number after they kept ringing me asking when I am paying the amount......in full!! But as a word of advice for all those being messed around by collectors you do have rights to write a letter to the collection company telling them they have no right knocking on your door without requesting permission from you - it is actually tresspassing even if you are council/housing association. They must send a letter to you to arrange an appointment to come to your property, it is up to you if you respond and you are within your rights to call the police if they do not get permission first. These sorts of companies target people who are vulnerable or on low income and believe they can do what the hell they like. How on earth can a 5 year old car - in immaculate condition be worth £18000 then 2.5 years later be worth £600 - oh and they didn't supply any tax either and also pursuaded me to take out ppi insurance which even if I claim for I will never see as it would go straight to Funding Corp off the cost of the vehicle. Please please please do not touch this company or Approved Car Finance with a barge pole - I am a strong willed person who stands up for herself but others may be more intimidated by the above and be taken for a ride. Good luck all, oh and in response to gman when I requested a statement I have paid nearly £3000 in charges, would be interested to hear how you got on......

• 1 month later...

Hi All

I'm very sorry if I am writing this in the wrong place but I am sick of banging my head against a brick wall where cygnet finance and acf are concerened.

I'll give you a brief idea of the rubbish ive had. Ive had a total of 4 cars from acf since April 2007 I started out on a monthly payment of £133.53 and through 4 faulty cars (one had been clocked others had various faults) we have eneded up with a monthly payment of £215.24!!! They basically told us we couldnt have our old car back so we either signed the agreeement or we'd be walking back from a dodgy industrial estate with a 2 & a 3 year old car seats and all and therefore felt we had no choice!

Ive complained on numberous occassions and got no where the car we now have has cost us over £4000 in repairs since we had it in October 2007 along with the finance an 03 plate car with over 100,000 has cost us £15000!!!

I have 3 contracts (they took the one from the clocked car off us as we reported it to the trading standards) however I do have the MOT slips somewhere which shows the discrepancies in mileage.

My query is to whether or not there is someway to get out of this agreement as I fell well and truly duped I havent even passed my driving test yet so im paying for a car i cant drive. I dont want to hand the car back as I am nearly at the end of my agreement come April 2011. I have just missed my payment as I have just been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and got less wage as work have decided im only entitled to SSP ive only managed to pay my rent. Cygnet were on the phone at 8.30 am wanting to know where there payment was.

Im unsure what to do now as I dont want to lose the car as fingers crossed i should have passed my test after christmas and i begrudge paying £15000 for something they can just take.

Any advice would be greatly appreciatted. I have taken photos of the contract on my phone and will post these shortly.

I also need to mention that they duped me with the whole the money youve alrewady paid has come off the value of the car my part ex was used as a VAT write off??? I should also advise that the APR started at 56% on 1st agreement then dropped to 51.6% then on my final agreement is 47.1 is this correct considering there is only a couple of months between all 4 credit agreeements?

Final agreement

Amount of credit: £5300.00

Total Amount Payable: £11,824.32

APR: 47.1%

Cash Price: £6,347.80 (03 plate ford focus with 97000 miles at the time)

Less Advancepayment: £1047.80

Finance Charges: £5,031.52

Arrangement Fee: £250.00

Credit Facility Fee: £195.00

Total Charge for Credit: £5,476.52

The fixed rate of interest per annum: 23.25%

Total Amount Payable £11.824.32

APR: 47.1%

Instalment Value: £215.24

Any help would be greatly appreciatted.

Thanks

Rachel

gday and welcome to the forum

you have realy hit the UNHOLY TRINITY

APPROVED CAR FINANCE

CYGNET FINANCE

THE FUNDING CO

QUESTIONS

1/ DO YOU HAVE STILL ALL THREE AGREEMENTS

2/ ANY CLOSING STATEMENTS

3/ ANY PAYMENT PROTECTION/GAP OR NUCLEAR FALL OUT INSURANCE ON ANY OF THE AGREEMENTS

4/ AS ITS CYGNET I TAKE IT THE CAR IS SECURED BY A BILL OF SALE

gday and welcome to the forum

you have realy hit the UNHOLY TRINITY

APPROVED CAR FINANCE

CYGNET FINANCE

THE FUNDING CO

QUESTIONS

1/ DO YOU HAVE STILL ALL THREE AGREEMENTS

2/ ANY CLOSING STATEMENTS

3/ ANY PAYMENT PROTECTION/GAP OR NUCLEAR FALL OUT INSURANCE ON ANY OF THE AGREEMENTS

4/ AS ITS CYGNET I TAKE IT THE CAR IS SECURED BY A BILL OF SALE

hello.i have today filled in my court papers which i have received from fc .they are taking me to court to try and reclaim an outstanding balance of 6239 pounds.i have not sent them away yet.i have paid over half of my finance to them and have asked them if i can return the car and walk away.they tell me i cannot do this as the contract has been terminated.after reading all the posts on this site about funding corporation im really confused and would really appreciate some help .i have to send court papers back by 21st of this month .

FIRST THING IS TO DEFEND IN FULL

ILL DO A PLAN OF ATTACT TOMOROW

THERE ARE SO MANY THINGS WRONG WITH THESE COMPANIES ANN HOW THEY TRY AND SHAFT YOU

THING IS

I KNOW ALL THE CONS SO SIT BACK AND ENJOY THE RIDE

ITS QUITE AN EDUCATION

AT THE END YOU WILL BE QUALIFIED TO BE A POLITICIAN IN DOUBLE SPEAK:lol: