Yet another Solidworks CJCH thing (but we don't even use the software!)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 739 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I've had the standard CJCH email thing about using Solidworks without a license, however it seems quite cut and dry for us as we don't use it!

Are they simply spamming all companies in the UK now?

I've seen from this forum that it has been going on for years so perhaps they are just running out of people and going for anyone who uses CAD?

Has anyone else had this?

All the threads I read seemed to be from people that had pirated the software at some point.

Further as it was I did call the company and speak to the lady noted in the email as I suspected it was a scam (we've had a few) and wanted to find out if she really worked for the firm.

I was rather surprised to find it was a real thing and requested that she mail me their 'evidence' as she stated there wasn't a case active right now.

In retrospect a bad idea as I should have picked up it was ambulance chasing from the 'there is no case' thing 

I feel we have a very solid 'we literally don't use this software' case that should be rather easy to send packing.

Also ironically we were considering switching to Solidworks for some of our CAD needs but after this guess they've lost a customer and we will be sticking with Autodesk ;)

• fifuiy changed the title to Yet another Solidworks CJCH thing (but we don't even use the software!)

I would think this is a case of an IP address being picked up that is believed relates to your company and if you are certain no computer linked to your company has used unlicensed software , then simply ignore for now.

If in the future they write with more specific information about their allegation, then this is something to check. E.g. is there a contactor using companies IP address who uses this software ?

• Thanks 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

They don't use IP they harvest the Mac address of the Comms device on the pc upon installation as well as other device info from the windows installation, then look them up on the net for an email if they haven't already harvested it 

I suspect someone somewhere has one of you old devices and has done this 

However totally safe to ignore.

Dx

• Thanks 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks both, useful info, any idea how they are collecting this data?

We could have a freelancer/contractor who used it, ultimately we'd never know and all our designers are home working these days anyway, or as above it could be an old device we disposed off despite it being scrubbed.

A thought did occur that we have had a bunch of new starters who came fresh from uni so they could have had student copies lying around that somehow got linked or one of then downloaded a 30 day demo with a company email address.

Regardless it seems rather daft to throw lawyers first rather than a polite 'you use our software already' call from sales (which I'm sure we'd have been receptive to) but what do I know...

Also regarding ignoring, is it worth us sending back a solid refutation of any evidence and then ignoring or just ignoring anything further?

no cases of court anywhere.

as far as we understand these ambulance chaser firms, they sadly con the 'owners' out of signing a longterm contract to engage them that also has a get out clause that is more expensive than continuing to use their services. they also make a tidy sum out of any money they collect, p'haps fwding on less than 30% they 'collect', it also has the effect of occasionally winning solidworks a licence sign up to, that the fleecers get a cut of.

as you have freelancers and homeworkers, it will be undoubtedly be one of those, regardless to running the software or not, upon installation  it installs a call home to mommy TSR that runs on any device at start up. harvests the info it needs, then sends it off to solidworks. it also has access to the properties of any files created on the software too.

your IT guy will be well vested in how to look for these things and i bet you find in their startup services a prog linked to the software. simple to kill it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi all, thought you might appreciate an update on this!

We received the 'technical report' this week and ran all the addresses against our machines up to and including the wifi enabled coffee machine (most important bit of kit we own!) and of course found nothing.

Even more amusingly the so called report showed access was coming from a totally unrelated company URL and was using software totally unrelated to our industry.

So yes... a total waste of time for us and I thank you for your help in the matter.

As an aside I've informed our industry body of this kind of behavior so companies are aware of it, I'm also investigating if some sort of complaint can be made as this is clearly unethical behavior.

make a complaint to the SRA.

dx

and they

• 2 weeks later...

@Cannuccia

Please will you start your own thread and post your story there.

Thanks

• Like 1