Son had an accident while I was away, GoSkippy wants more details

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 762 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was away from 1st March till yesterday.

It so happens that the same day I left my 18 year old son, who only just passed his driving test in Octobe,r took the car that I bought for him and drove it away.

The car has him down as the main driver but his insurance was obtained when he was on a learner's license.

He apparently hit some other car from behind (apparently he expected it to move as he was gauging the distance of the car coming from the right was too far).

Ideally he should have his license status updated with the insurance company and have his driving issues sent directly to him.

But as this had not happened yet

I wanted to check with the experts here what the best way forward would be.

I have boarding passes and stamps on my passport to prove that I was not around and cannot be faulted with his error in judgment and his teenage driving incidents.

Edited by dx100uk
spacing

Depending on the conditions of his policy he may find his insurers will refuse cover. Many insurers require being told when a provisional licence holder has passed his test as they see them as a greater risk (as they begin driving unsupervised). They are not able to avoid liability to a third party but may attempt to recover their outlay from your son.

As an aside, I don't see how you are involved with this. Is the policy in your son's name?

Agree that the Insurers will need the correct information and they can deal with as appropriate.  They may refuse cover, but have to deal with the third party and come after the policyholder for the amount they have had to pay out.  Or they could offer to change the policy subject a large additional premium and then deal with the claim, without the policyholder having to settle the claim value.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The policy is mine as the car is mine. The boy is added to the policy as the main driver (I am also a named driver on the car) since I bought it for him to learn how to drive a manual transmission car rather than use my automatic transmission car.

He took the car while I was away and crashed into someone else's car and I only just found out about it when I came back.

So my next step is to just contact the insurers and explain all this to them right?

Yes that is what you have to do.

As the policyholder, it was up to you to report any changes and you will be liable for any amounts owed.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread