Bought Used Car -OAPCHEAP CARS AND CARAVAN – Am I covered under CONSUMER RIGHTS ACT 2015?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 742 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bought a 2012 estate car, £1850... Nice little  car, everything been great, but I came the other day and the hand brake had seized on... I was stuck in Tesco carpark for 5 hours. 

I called a friend and we tried to solve it to no luck... I had to in the end just drive away and after around 3 minutes it come off.. This is not ideal but it seemed to override it. 

I have been told I am covered under the 2015 consumer rights act....?

Can anyone advise?

The dealer in question is based in GOOLE..... They are called OAPCHEAP CARS AND CARAVAN.. 

I have called them and the phone answered right away, I told them about the issue and they pretty much hung up on me...

I have since called about 30 times and now they are not answering. 

I have sent them 2 messages on ebay and no reply... That was yesterday... 

It is clear they want nothing to do with me.... Typical eh! 

Any advise welcomed. 

Is this a manual handbrake or electronic

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

The answer is that yes, you are covered by the consumer rights act 2015 – but enforcing its provisions is a completely different matter and we are finding that dealers routinely ignore their obligations.

I see that I'm cross posting with my site team colleague – but here are some questions:
how did you pay?
Are they far away from you?
Is the handbrake problem the only defect?
have you ascertained the cost of inspecting the car, identifying any other faults and repairing the handbrake?

• BankFodder changed the title to Bought Used Car -OAPCHEAP CARS AND CARAVAN – Am I covered under CONSUMER RIGHTS ACT 2015?

@dx100ukYes electronic..... Button... 

@BankFodder 

How did you pay? Card / Bank Transfer whilst at the dealers in Goole near Hull.
Are they far away from you?  Maybe around 1 hour and 50 mins... Quite a way to be told to go away.
Is the handbrake problem the only defect? I think so yes. Other than that a great car.
Have you ascertained the cost of inspecting the car, identifying any other faults and repairing the handbrake? I took it to a local garage and the guy there asked a few questions and told me my first port of call is taking it back to the dealer. And this is where I am now. 

How much did you pay by card? Was it a credit card or was it a debit card?

You should read up what we have to say about the protections you lose when you pay by bank transfer. You should also read up our used car guide about the true cost of purchasing a vehicle which is far away from you

I see it will be a good idea to have a full diagnostic check of the car.

I think you are wrong to take it to the dealer before understanding from an independent source exactly what difficulties you are dealing with and the cost of addressing them.

However you are at the dealer  now and you better keep us updated.

15 minutes ago, mrk123 said:

@dx100ukYes electronic..... Button...

ok well might not be cheap fix then, follow BF's advice , but most electronic brake issues are down to car low battery voltage.

which might well tally with it being sitting around unused on a forecourt, and then you driving for a while and it coming off as the alternator charges it up. new battery should sort it.

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

@BankFodder

I paid £1850 by debit card...  Surly this is better than paying by cash

A full diog of car might cost £80-£100 on its own? I would rather the dealer do this, if they could just engage in communication with me, it's not professional at all the way they are purposefully blanking me. They are not answering my call (probably see it on the phone screen my number) and they are not calling me back, so what now?

@dx100uk You think, a new battery??? Is that just a gamble? Surly testing the voltage out would be a good idea?

I had gathered that you had paid by a mixture of card and by bank transfer .

If you wanted to reject the car and it was refused, then you could think about mounting a chargeback with your bank .

They won't be pleased but it is a way forward .

On the other hand, you say that generally you are pleased with the car other than the handbrake .

It's up to you whether you get a diagnostic check.

Yes, it will cost you some money.

But on the other hand, either you get peace of mind or else you identify other defects which need to be dealt with at the same time seeing as it looks as if you are going to find yourself in conflict with the dealer

• Like 1

no its not a gamble, from lots of experience with electronic brake systems.....

Yes get a multimeter and measure the battery terminal voltage across its terminals after leaving it say overnight to get cold. Dont start the car or anything...

check if the terminal voltage is less than 12.5vdc, if it is change the battery for a new one. Bet it never comebacks.

However that doesn't protect you against other unknown issues with the car going fwd, but cra 2015 would.

• Like 1

and they

OK thanks, will keep trying this shoddy dealer and if I get through tell them I want them to cover costs for diog and fixing or battery otherwise I will enact CRA15! 

i will get reading on battery and if below 12.5vdc try a new battery.

Get readout from the diags machine (code reader) bet it shows the fault code  for the electronic handbrake . If its a good one, it will also show why it flagged by a suffix  code. bet thats high current battery not present at some poibt.

good luck

and they

I will get a read out, at my expense. 

But a friend said I should send them a recorded letter, explaining that they need to honour the 2015 consumer rights act within 3 months, failure to do so will result in small claims... My friend said he has been successful down this route...? What are people's opinions, is there a template letter anywhere? 

3mts?

A letter of claim is 14days.

Change the battery.

Dx

and they

nope 

you seriously need to read up 

type in hermes in our search top right and the process is explained in many threads 

under CRA 2015

within 30days if something is faulty, you have a right to return and a full refund must be given.

within 6mts, its for the retailer to investigate and the retailer has one chance to repair, though they could decide to refund/replace immediately 

outside of 6mts , you must pay for the report, 

pre action protocol, - letter of claim giving 14 days must be issued before you you can issue a court claim.

these are nothing to do with CRA2015

and they

57 minutes ago, dx100uk said:

pre action protocol, - letter of claim giving 14 days must be issued before you you can issue a court claim.

these are nothing to do with CRA2015

and they