• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Me v GE Money (Formally I Group)** Settled **

:Boy:
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6167 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well, I have done the Pre-Lim & The LBA for my Early Redemption penalty that I had on our last mortgage with I Group, before they became GE Money.

I have requested £1353.12 in an ERC.

I have filed at County Court, and yesterday, I recieved a letter from Eversheds, who are representing GE Money, including their defence

I am confused with there defence, its full of jargon (which I expected) but they state that the 'Early settlement charge' was not a penalty, but for us to redeem the mortgage, we had to pay this?

If it is of any help I can post their whole defence.

What is concerning me more is that they have filed a Counterclaim. Is this normal from GE Money?

Their Counterclaim is:

1. The Defendant repeats its Defence Herein.

2. If, Contrary to the Defendant's primary case set out in the Defence, the Borrowers were, as the Borrowers have averred by necessary implication by their claim that the Early repayment charge is a penalty, in breach of contract by their Early settlement of the Account, and if, which is denied, the sums claimed by the Borrowers were in fact not payable for any reason alleged by the Borrowers and the Borrowers are entitled to repayment of the same:

2.1 the Borrowers were in breach of contract by their early repayment of the account and the Borrowers have admitted the same;

2.3 the Defendant has thereby suffered loss and damage in respect of such breach, namely the loss of interest payments to be made by the Borrowers for the remaining period of the loan agreement following the date of her early settlement therof (the Defendant will deduct from the same the cost to it of borrowing the capital sum). Particulars of loss and damage will be provided

And the Defendant counterclaims

1. damages for breach of contract

2. interest theron pursuant to section 69 of the County Courts Act 1969.

I do not fully understand the Counterclaim, but what I can gather is that if I am awarded the money, they will sue me for the same amount of money?

I will now have to defence their Counterclaim, so any help out there would be of great appreciation, and any advice is greatly needed.

Thanks again.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I know you are the first and there are plenty of us here, maybe its something they've just thought of and there is one winging its way to me as we speak, up to now everyone seems ot have received the same defence, I can't really help but I'm sure Zoot or Alan or someone equally knowledgeable will be here soon to help you out.

Fingers crossed for you. If it spurrs you on check out Dogwash's thread, she hasn't got there yet but they did talk settlement monies, here court date is set for February.

Sam

I'm a Foolish person

IGroup ERC £1928.64 Ist letter sent 12/9

LBA sent 26/9

Moneyclaim input 13/10

Claim acknowledged 6/11

Received fob off letter 11/11

AQs sent back, IGroup request multitrack and hearing

Thanks for that, it is the first time in all of my cases that there has been a counterclaim, so it surprised me a little.

I have been following your thread and Dogwashed thread with anticipation, too see what they will offer/their next step.

Hi

Have a look at Morgys thread - Kensington entered a counterclaim to her's too. You should be able to lift something that Zoot did on here........

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/mortgage-companies/27030-harsh-letter-recieved-form.html

Good luck

Halifax 1

WON - £1,355.49 21/07/06

MINT

WON - £273.81 14/09/06

First Direct

WON - £913.50 01/09/06

Capital One

WON - £130.13 03/11/06

Halifax 2

WON - £188.03 01/12/06

Kensington Mortgages ERC

MCOL for £6,204.39 Discontinued

Halifax Mortgage Admin fee

WON - £10.00

Direct Line Mortgage Redemption Fee

WON - £99.00

Halifax 3

MCOL for £109.01 reg 07/03/07

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/redemptionfees/

Please sign this petition x

Hello,

I have had a look at that thread, amazing what Zoot come up with. I have just printed off the defence to their counterclaim, and going to have a look to see if this helps me.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Well, Im back with an update.

I have recieved a letter from GE Money with a revised Counterclaim. The only diffrence from the last one is that they have added that their costs won't be more than £5000.

I have sent my allocation questionaire and defence to their counterclaim today, so fingers crossed, lets hope it is alright!

• 2 weeks later...

Well in the post today I have recieved a letter from Eversheds, and a copy of their AQ.

This is what they have put:

Amount in dispute: £A11

Witnesses: Financial Officer of the Defendant company, to be confirmed.

Witness to which facts: Contract and calculation of Early Repayment Charge

Do you wish to use expert evidence at the trial of final hearing: Yes

Experts name: To be confirmed

Field of expertise: Accountant/economist

Do you want any expert (s) to give evidence orally at the trial/final hearing: No

Which track, most suitable: Multi track

Brief reasons for: Detailed and lengthy submissions will be required upon complex points of law; 2: Complex expert evidence is likely to be required; 3: The hearing is likely to exceed 1 day.

How long do you estimate the traial/hearing will take: 2 days, 2 hours and 30 minutes.

Estimate costs incurred to date: £800

Estimate overall costs: £to follow.

Space below information for Judge:

The Defendant requests that the claim be allocated to the multi track, not withstanding the financial value of the claim.

The defendant requests that a case management conference be listed for directions to be decided.

So, I kind of make sense of it. It is quite intimidating really, I take it they do this to put the sh*t up you!. Any advice or help is appreciated!

Hi D5,

I notice above you state that they have put in a counter claim for damages for breach of contract. That is different from the counter claim Morgy received regarding costs.

They are quite entitled to claim any actual costs they incurred as a result of your breach of contract upto the limit specified in the ERC. Although you should put them to strict proof of the damages so that they have to plead and prove each and every cost.

Do you know if they formally entered the counterclaim through the court and paid the appropriate fee?

With regards to their request for multi -track its likely that there will be an allocation hearing. This can be by telephone or by attending court. Have a look through the mortgage FAQ in the stickies at the top of this forum for arguments to use.

Hope this helps

Zoot

Thanks for that.

How can I find out if they paid for the appropriate fee through the court for the Counterclaim?

I am getting quite nervous about this one now, but I suppose I will have to take the plunge, they are not the nicest bunch to deal with, but it is obviously my choice to go ahead and get my money!

I will have a look at the mortgage stickies.

Thanks once again, and any more updates, I will post here.

Best regards

Cant add much to above - but am watching good luck

FNC

PS Thread Jigack sorry but vs Gemoney - Anyone had thoughts on Exemplary Damages - I might make a claim for £1M or so with thruppence or courts discretion in the alternative to show I am not profiteering (watch GE Money choose to defend that one)

http://www.lawcom.gov.uk/docs/lc247.pdf

Categories test for exemplary damages - wrongful conduct which has been calculated by the defendant to make a profit for himself which may well exceed the compensation payable to the plaintiff

The second difference is that exemplary damages may be awarded even though they exceed the amount of the gain made by the tortfeasor. The effective pursuit of punishment may require awards of exemplary damages to exceed the restitutionary measure: they are concerned with punishment and not simply with stripping away the fruits of the defendant’s wrongdoing. As Lord Diplock said in

Broome v Cassell,

To restrict the damages recoverable to the actual gain made by the

defendant if it exceeded the loss caused to the plaintiff, would leave a

defendant contemplating an unlawful act with the certainty that he had nothing to lose to balance against the chance that the plaintiff might never sue him or, if he did, might fail in the hazards of litigation.

It is only if there is a prospect that the damages may exceed the defendant’s gain that the social purpose of this category is achieved - to teach a wrong-doer that tort does not pay

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/mortgage-companies/53089-fnc-ge-money-erc.html

21/12/2006 SAR

Next Step 31/1/2007 - Prelim / S.A.R Enforcement

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/mortgage-companies/55694-fnc-c-g-erc.html

21/12/2006 SAR

13/1/2007 - Prelim

Next Step 27/1/2007 LBA

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/lloyds-bank/55692-fnc-lloyds-tsb.html

21/12/2006 SAR

Next Step 31/1/2007 -Prelim / SAR enforcement

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/other-institutions/55784-fnc-better-half-nationwide.html

20/12/2006 Prelim with Schedule and SI £640

5/1/2007 LBA with revised schedule CCR £867

Next Step 20/1/2007 CLAIM

PC World - Refund Faulty goods Preliminary Letter 13/01/2007 - Consumer rights are getting addictive

Don't get angry get even:D

Yes you are hijacking. Stick to your own thread for raising your own issues!

Apologies Zoot/ D5Tweddle - Will keep to myself in future- please feel free to delete my rude interjection

I will follow up in my GE Money-ERC thread (linked above)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/mortgage-companies/53089-fnc-ge-money-erc.html

21/12/2006 SAR

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/mortgage-companies/55694-fnc-c-g-erc.html

21/12/2006 SAR

13/1/2007 - Prelim

Next Step 27/1/2007 LBA

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/lloyds-bank/55692-fnc-lloyds-tsb.html

21/12/2006 SAR

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/other-institutions/55784-fnc-better-half-nationwide.html

PC World - Refund Faulty goods Preliminary Letter 13/01/2007 - Consumer rights are getting addictive

No probs FNC.

Well, letter in the post today from the Court.

I have a Case Management Conference on the 24th January 2007 at 10am. I am now getting nervous.

Any advice please on what I need to do (I know it sounds like a daft question, but I have never got this far with any of my claims!)

Thanks for your help

D5Tweddle

Not in a position to help you because as they say "I know nothing", but am sure some advice will be forthcoming (you have two weeks) and Zoot seems to be following you nicely - GL

21/12/2006 SAR

21/12/2006 SAR

13/1/2007 - Prelim

Next Step 27/1/2007 LBA

21/12/2006 SAR

Just arranged to go to my County Court tomorrow for a look around (familirisation) and (hopefully) sit in on a case, if the Judge allows it.

To be honest I am s***ing myself on the 2 pending cases, as I believe they will go all the way. Oh well, at least its something interesting for the start of 2007!

Don't panic D5Tweddle - I went to Court with Abbey (bank charges) and the District Judge was really nice. It's held in chambers generally anyway - not like open court. Remember they know you are a lay person and will help you all they can. Anyway bet GE settle before then - believe me they want to go to court a lot less than you! This is one can of worms they do not want opening publicly in court. Really interested in what hapens to you next as I am due in court against GE on 19 Feb. Good Luck and please don't panic - that's just what GE are banking on in the hope you'll pull out.

Whereabouts are you? Maybe someone can come with you?

Please note that I am not a legal expert and all advice given is without prejudice and is purely my opinion only.

** Nationwide - £1821.15-PAID IN FULL - Aug 06 **

** Halifax Mortgage -£390 - PAID IN FULL - Nov 06 **

Lloyds TSB - MCOL issued 09/03/07 - £2953 + costs - ON HOLD....

Thanks everyone, the support is appreciated.

I am looking forward to going to the Court today, it will be interesting, especially finding out what actually happens at a Case Management Conference.

I am in North Shropshire (near Shrewsbury).

I am nervous, I just don't want to cock it up here, after all the time I have spent on this. I have just had a Court date from another claim I have with Abbey. I need to do a Court bundle for this! I am going to have a fun 2 weeks!

Hello Zoot,

What do you mean by 'Directions'? (sorry for not knowing).

I will follow Jamorgans thread with interest!.

I have visited the Court this morning for familirisation (was not allowed to sit in on a case though), very interesting and daunting at the same time. The staff put me at ease though:) .

By directions I mean has the court asked you to send anything to them or the defendant?

I'm sure you'll be fine in court! CMCs are generally conducted in private rather than an open court and its simply a matter of working out what issues are in dispute and what are agreed to.

Best of luck

Zoot

Hello,

No nothing has been asked for or sent to (i.e GE money).

I would love to say that I am looking forward to the CMC, but, trust me I'm not.

Thanks for your help, and swift response, and I will keep you updated.

In need of a bit of advice here please.

Do I have to go to the Case Management Conference (it is on the 24th January 2007)? Could my case be struck out in the CMC?, I am just getting nervous about it.

I believe that this is being stringed out enough already, and I think they might ask for more time/move location etc etc, or am I panicking for nothing?

Look forward to any replies.