Claim against the RAF/MOD

thebuffer01
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6342 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I wonder if anyone can give any advice? A colleague of mine in the military recently returned from Iraq. During the move between Iraq, Oman and a Teeside airport, the RAF lost his baggage. The flight was on a civilian carrier onward from Oman, but the baggage handling was all RAF.

He put in an itemised claim for the loss of personnal baggage and his military kit. Now while the military equipment has been written off, he has had his claim for civilian clothing cut to a paltry £100. The claim for civilians stuff was a true and just claim, no spurious claims. ie. Brand new top of the range video camera, XBox 360 etc . It was just what he took and what he could not put in the cabin with him. A set of civilian clothing, training kit, a psp and two games, a digital camera. Nothing extra. All his stuff was under a year old.

Surely the Air Force are liable for a full refund on a like for like basis. You would expect the same courtesy to be extended if he had flown BA or Budget Airlines? They lost his baggage and they are therfore liable? Am I correct?

Can he pursue his loss through the small claims court, or are the faceless civil servants at MOD/RAF allowed to just fob peolpe off and claim crown immunity?

I wonder if anyone can give any advice? A colleague of mine in the military recently returned from Iraq. During the move between Iraq, Oman and a Teeside airport, the RAF lost his baggage. The flight was on a civilian carrier onward from Oman, but the baggage handling was all RAF.

He put in an itemised claim for the loss of personnal baggage and his military kit. Now while the military equipment has been written off, he has had his claim for civilian clothing cut to a paltry £100. The claim for civilians stuff was a true and just claim, no spurious claims. ie. Brand new top of the range video camera, XBox 360 etc . It was just what he took and what he could not put in the cabin with him. A set of civilian clothing, training kit, a psp and two games, a digital camera. Nothing extra. All his stuff was under a year old.

Surely the Air Force are liable for a full refund on a like for like basis. You would expect the same courtesy to be extended if he had flown BA or Budget Airlines? They lost his baggage and they are therfore liable? Am I correct?

Can he pursue his loss through the small claims court, or are the faceless civil servants at MOD/RAF allowed to just fob peolpe off and claim crown immunity?

As a serving soldier i will look into it for you. Just a point to note the Armed forces do not have crown immunity anymore.

Thank you lively lad. I told him to take it the tabloids, headline like, "RAF can't bomb anything or even carry baggage properly." sort of thing. Apparently he can't, as he's not allowed to communicate with the press? So much for living in a free and just world.

Thank you lively lad. I told him to take it the tabloids, headline like, "RAF can't bomb anything or even carry baggage properly." sort of thing. Apparently he can't, as he's not allowed to communicate with the press? So much for living in a free and just world.

Free because of the Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen. I will will help but I think your line of slagging off the forces particulary at this time is misguided and ill informed. Please refrain.

I do apologise, I wasn't slagging off our brave men and women of the Forces. It is more indicative of His Tonyship and the present Government that not everything is reported in the press. Billy Bragg once sang, "I don't speak to Sun reporters."

However, I digress. As for claiming off his insurance, I have spoken to him and he doesn't think that his house contents insurance covers this instance. I wouldn't have thought that travel insurance isn't applicable, as although not being a "War" zone, it is definately recognised as a "Conflict" zone.

Also, it was through no fault of his own that his stuff went missing somewhere between the airport in Iraq and Teeside; and I would have thought that the MOD/RAF is culpable for that loss, surely?

I do apologise, I wasn't slagging off our brave men and women of the Forces. It is more indicative of His Tonyship and the present Government that not everything is reported in the press. Billy Bragg once sang, "I don't speak to Sun reporters."

However, I digress. As for claiming off his insurance, I have spoken to him and he doesn't think that his house contents insurance covers this instance. I wouldn't have thought that travel insurance isn't applicable, as although not being a "War" zone, it is definately recognised as a "Conflict" zone.

Also, it was through no fault of his own that his stuff went missing somewhere between the airport in Iraq and Teeside; and I would have thought that the MOD/RAF is culpable for that loss, surely?

Ok I have spoken to RAF. Is he a serving soldier? If so PM me I will send you the mil phone number, he will need to phone them and speak them regarding his loss.