Housing Association taking away internet access due to kiosk mode

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 569 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

From their Digital plan on that leaflet

"To build our DIGITAL CONNECTIVITY
contribution we will:
l Continue to deliver a range of virtual
engagement roles, activities and projects.
l Work with internal and external
stakeholders to identify digitally excluded
customers and those with equipment or
broadband needs to direct them into free
local training and funding.
l Develop and publish a directory of free
learning opportunities including face
to face, and online courses, plus an
online drop in live chat help centre for
customers who need immediate support.
l Support customers who are digitally
excluded.
l Explore new and innovative engagement
approaches including smart technology.
l Carry out a customer digital access
survey to inform our approach to digital
delivery and communications.
l Develop and pilot accessibility-enhancing
communal spaces for customers.
l Continue to develop and deliver our
Digital4Everyone programme.
l Engage customers in the exploration and
implementation of smart technology"

mammoth Fail in this case, they are talking the talk but not implementing what they promise.

• Like 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stu007 kindly suggested a message I could send them, so I based my latest message partly on those suggestions. It's a bit long, but I can't really help that. I get a bit shirty towards the end, but that's just the way I'm feeling about the way we're being treated. Anyway, here it is:

"Thank you for your email; unfortunately, I have not found it very helpful, and it has just added further issues to this matter that I must make you aware of. I think it best if I describe the present position we Firs residents are in with respect to this computer:

1) We used to be able to download files, place them on a USB stick and take them away to be (a) stored on our own devices and (b) print them. You said Platform would solve the printing problem by installing a printer, and while this has been done, the result has been useless to us. One day, we found a printer beside a computer, but it is no good to us at all: it has no paper, we do not know if it has any ink, and none of us can figure out whether it is even possible to print anything from the computer on it. We have been given NO training on how to use it, and were not even told it was being installed. 

2) Since the change, many if not most websites have lots of annoying animated popups, and Youtube videos are interrupted with ads every few minutes, now that Chrome with its adblock extension are gone. Edge has its own adblocker, but it is in Settings, and we have been locked out of Settings. It would be an easy matter to enable Edge's adblocker but your IT department's response in a letter to me just said 'even our staff computers have ads' - something I find hard to believe when this computer had been free of them for years.

3) To use the Internet effectively, you must be able to copy and paste both text and links, but Platform has now made this impossible. Now, if we wanted to put a link into an email or forum post, we would have to type the URL in manually; this is unworkable with most URLs because they can consist of dozens of letters, numbers and symbols.

4) Youtube no longer works properly. In addition to those intrusive ads, if we select 'full screen', this locks us out of the rest of the Internet: though we can restore the standard view using the F5 key, there is now no access to the rest of the browser, so the only way to access any other website is to restart the computer.

5) Anyone should be allowed to download data such as emails and store it physically in their own home, on their own device. No one should have to depend on storing everything in 'The Cloud'. Many of us worry about the security of our data when it is 'out there' on the Internet, and feel that the only certain way of safeguarding it is to have it on our own device, in our own home. I feel this should be our right, yet it is now being denied to us, even though there were no problems with our doing this in the 12 years I have been here.

6) Though this change to Kiosk mode has been a major one, we were not consulted about it, and we have been given NO assistance in the form of training on how to adapt to it.

I will sum up by saying that we residents have in effect been digitally excluded by Platform Housing. You say in your email that once we get used to this new setup, we will find that, in your words, 'the functionality is exactly the same'. This is manifestly untrue.

I cannot speak for others at The Firs, but speaking for myself, I have to say that in my opinion Platform's attitude to us in this matter has been uncaring and disrespectful,. Platform knows perfectly well that digital exclusion is a big problem in both the poor and the elderly, and that it is a problem that can only grow as the Internet plays an increasingly important role in everyday life. Yet despite all this, Platform has taken away most of the functionality of the only computer we can use to access the Internet, without telling us, or asking about our feelings on the matter, or offering training on how to adapt to the change.

I think many if not most people, on being told that a housing association had completely changed the way tenants can use a scheme's computer, in a housing scheme exclusively occupied by elderly people, the least 'computer savvy' part of the population, and were also told that this housing association had not even consulted them or offered any help with adapting to the new setup, they would be incredulous.

I look forward to your response."

I'd appreciate people's opinions on this. Thanks.

Hits the spot, might be good to  precis it a bit, rather than give chapter and verse of the previous complaint concentrate on the lack of functionality the lack of training and the seeming lack of interest of the IT dept who think Tenants are like staff told to switch off and on again when there is a problem they could easily put an adblocker on and they should, They have not taken into account what they promise in their leaflet about  Digital inclusion hold them to what they promise in that document you uploaded for us to check.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Hi  Dave 2019

Oh dear that PDF I have just basically ripped apart as in your case with this issue of the computer so what I suggest you do is add to the letter I posted in politely ripping apart that PDF and you use that PDF against them.

Remember you have already complained about this but that PDF is IMO is Gold Dust as it is there document full of promises to all its tenants so you also use that PDF/Document against them. 

So you respond to that CEO Letter and in fact here you go this it what I would send them: (note I would not add to this leave as it and sent it to CEO)

Dear Sir/Madam

Reference: (insert reference number if one on CEOs letter)

Thank you for your letter dated XX/XX 2022 but this has just added further issues to this matter that I must make you aware of .

The Firs Building have numerous elderly residents which the Housing Association is fully aware of:

1. We were never consulted nor informed of these changes taking place to the Computer that the majority of us use and are used to is setup.

2. I was informed by your staff that a printer was installed when if fact there has never been a printer in this location which the Housing Association are now going to install but we do not have a date when that is going to happen.

3. With the above all the residents that used this computer were used to the setup as it has been for numerous years before this change happened without notification and the residents are neither used to this new layout in fact find it's very difficult to use and have been offered NO assistance in the way of computer training for this new system therefore we feel we have been digitally excluded by the Housing Association.

4. At present due to the above we feel we have been Digitally excluded by our Housing Association and therefore require a meeting to be setup at 'The Firs' to discuss our issue in person with the Housing Association.

I would also like to refer to Platform Housing Group Customer and Community Engagement Strategy 2021-2026

(Insert the website link here to this Customer and Community Engagement Strategy if you know it)

Page 2:  

Our strategy identifies six themes that will support us in our journey to become a truly modern housing association. the two you have failed with in this present case are 'Our Customers' and 'Digital and Intelligence'. As you failed to consult/notify your elderly resident of the changes to this computer system nor offer any support in the way of training to get used to this new system to date.

Page 4

a) People Values in this case the Housing Association has failed to Own It as it never consulted/notified those tenants affected nor offered any training support to date even when complained about have basically given the same response and are therefore digitally excluding elderly residents.

b) Be Brave in this case it seems that Digitally excluding Residents due to your software changes to that computer without again consultation/notification nor any offer of Training to date to get used to the new system is the Housing Association 'Be Brave' Digitally Excluding elderly residents.

Page 5:

Our Approach - 'Digital4Everyone', in this case sadly again this is not the case since you updated that system we feel digitally excluded for the reasons stated above.

Page 6:

Platform Housing Group Customer and Community Engagement 'Digital Connectivity', in this case sadly again this is not the case since you updated that system we feel digitally excluded for the reasons stated above.

Page 10:

Community - To build COMMUNITY contribution we will: IMPROVE Digital Inclusion, in this case sadly again this is not the case since you updated that system we feel digitally excluded for the reasons stated above.

Page 12:

Digital - in this case sadly again this is not the case since you updated that system we feel digitally excluded for the reasons stated above.

Page 14:

Equality, Diversity and Inclusion - in this case sadly again this is not the case since you updated that system we feel digitally excluded for the reasons stated above.

Page 15

Equality, Diversity and Inclusion - in this case sadly again this is not the case since you updated that system we feel digitally excluded for the reasons stated above.

Due to the above we feel this document is all fine and well putting it up but putting it into practice in our case has fell way short for the reasons pointed out and importantly we feel we as elderly residents are being Digitally Excluded especially the manner in which this case has been dealt with by your staff.

I would also like clarification if Platform Housing Group is a Member of TPAS?

I look forward to your response.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

That kicks them where they need it Stu, they have failed abysmally, also, if no housing staff use it, there is no need for it to be on the HA network, a discrete broadband connection would not be too expensive to provide, nor would training and an attached all in one Printer/Scanner/Copier, a laser device preferably, also would allow a better experience for Residents. allowing all the functionality they might need like copying of DWP pensions letter#s etc, as well as allowing digital scans

As to TPAS I have searched and yes Platform are TPAS members, Tenants can also join TPAS, so I would say maybe Dave 2019 might consider joining, its usually free for Tenants, and what they offer is an insight into the sector and how to keep an eye on your landlord and hold them to their promises.

Platform is the sixth Association in that list

WWW.TPAS.ORG.UK

Tpas member search

• 2 weeks later...

Original poster here. Just bringing things up to date.

On April 15th I emailed Platform Housing's CEO with the message you can see in post #52. She has not replied yet, even though I sent her a reminder.

I then emailed my MP, Harriett Baldwin, with more or less the same message. She contacted Platform Housing and forwarded this reply from them.

"The PC is in kiosk mode, not only to protect the Group but also protect the tenants and their data. I understand that 
this has not been the case in the past, but recent innovations in Cyber Security for the wrong reasons have led us to 
install such a set up in all our schemes, which has proved to be quite popular, extremely secure and easily accessed 
and as previously mentioned, the device is a communal device that is owned by Platform Housing Group and we 
need to ensure that anyone using the PC has their personal data protected at all times.

Cyber security is very important to us and running the PC in kiosk mode is one of the ways to minimize the risk of 
anyone's personal data being exposed to somebody else, it also minimizes the risk of the PC being infected with a 
virus, ransomware or any other similar threat that may put anyone at risk. There are also further implications for 
Platform to consider should a data leak arise, the ICO has the power to impose a civil monetary penalty (CMP) on a 
data controller of up to £17million (20m Euro) or 4% of global turnover.

Microsoft edge allows you to view your emails and your cloud drive documents such as OneDrive or Google Cloud 
which negates the need to store documents on unencrypted memory sticks, this poses another risk altogether around 
data leak should the USB device be lost. The chances of the computer being infected under the new set up with a 
virus are very low compared to the old set up, we wouldn't have to build it from scratch, here we can simply re-create 
the user profiles, we understand that Kiosk mode does have some limitations and copying and paste is one of them, 
however this is in the interest of protecting the user, Platform and the PC.

I would re-iterate that cloud storage is far safer; it's encrypted, clear audits are done on files with proper change 
control, zero chance of corruption as opposed to uncontrolled data that can reside on a memory stick which can be 
lost in most cases. I hope this helps - I am happy to answer any further queries if required.

Kind Regards, 

Mohammed Zabir — Director of Technology and Delivery"

This has not helped at all: we still can't do the things we could before they changed things on the computer, and basically, Mr Zabir appears to be saying 'everything's fine'. So this morning I emailed Harriett Baldwin again with this:

"Dear Ms Baldwin

I sent the email below to you on April 3rd, and received a letter from you in response yesterday. This letter contained a message from Mohammed Zabir, Director of Technology and Delivery, which purported to address my concerns, but as far as I can see, it does not. I had hoped my writing to you would solve the problem, but I find we are no further forward. 

I think it best to begin by commenting on what Mr Zabir wrote:

He claims that tenants' being able to store our data on USB sticks threatens the security of their data, as they may lose the stick. But surely, that is up to the tenant. Platform should not prevent a tenant storing their data on a USB stick just in case he or she loses it. Nr Zabir also does not address the fact that we can no longer upload anything from a USB stick. I will give you an example of the inconvenience this causes. Recently, I had to email a scan of a document from my GP. Before this change, it would have been easy: put it on a USB stick, take it to the communal computer and attach it to the email. But instead, I had to take my USB stick into Worcester, get onto a computer at The Hive, and attach it to the email there. Buses from Kempsey to Worcester are very infrequent: if you need to use an OAP pass, there is only the 10.20am, 12,20pm, 2.40pm, 3.50pm and 5.20pm. Buses back are just as infrequent. This means that if you just want to send an email attachment, you have to waste perhaps half a day doing it.

This issue of USB sticks also seems to be a case of 'one hand not knowing what the other is doing', as what Mr Zabir says directly contradicts what Platform's IT department told me in a letter dated March 15th:

"Anyone using it  [ie: the computer] should be attaching/saving stored files on a USB device". 

So do they want us to use USB sticks or not? 

Here is another example of how this change has affected us. Some of us use the computer to book flights, and the airline sends you boarding passes, which of course are essential. If like me, and some other tenants, you do not have a smartphone to display the pass at the airport, you need a printed version. In the past, this was easy; just put the pdf file on a USB stick and take it to a printer. But now, it is impossible. Mr Zabir suggests that it is possible to get around such problems by transferring such a file to websites like OneDrive or Google Cloud, but there are major problems here:

1) We're OAP's and not very computer savvy. I for one do not know how to use OneDrive or Google Cloud on this computer, or even if it's possible. If I had an email attachment like a boarding pass, and wanted to print it out,  I would not have the faintest idea of how to use this computer in conjunction with those two websites to do this. As far as I know, there is only one person at The Firs who could figure out how to do it, and he has his own broadband so he never uses this computer.

2) Even if we could figure out how to use those websites to print stuff, we would need a printer. Platform did deliver a printer, but did not give us any clue on how to use it: we just came in one day and found it there. It has no paper, we don't even know if if has any ink, and worst of all, there seems to be no way of knowing if it interfaces with the computer at all. Year ago, the computer had a printer, but when it wore out, it was not replaced. It was easy to use it: if you wanted to print a document, you went to 'My Computer', then 'My Documents', clicked on the document the clicked 'print'. But all of that has been locked away from us now the computer is in Kiosk Mode.

3) The change to the computer has been a major one, and virtually nothing we could do before is now possible now. It might be possible to do them in a different way, but we can't figure out how to do it ( I know more about IT than almost anyone at The Firs, and it defeats me). If we are to adapt to this major change, we need training from Platform Housing, but we're getting none. As I mentioned before, it did not even warn us about the change, or consult us, and it certainly shows no sign of offering to train us to use the new system.

They do not appear willing to address even the simplest of these problems. I will mention two:

1) Being able to copy and paste text and links is a crucially important part of using the Internet, but we can't do it anymore. This has nothing to do with Kiosk mode, it's just that there is a fault in the way the computer is configured. Platform Housing has promised to fix this, but weeks have gone by and nothing has been done.

2) When we had Chrome, it had its own ad-blocker, but now, we are plagued with distracting animated pop-ups. Some websites have so many, it is very difficult to use them. Edge has its own ad-blocker which can be enabled in seconds, but we the tenants cannot do it because we are locked out of all settings, and Platform Housing refuses to enable it . When I complained, all I got back was a letter saying, "We're under no obligation to provide this particular facility".

When I first came to The Firs, it was run by a HA called Elgar Housing. It offered training courses in computing, and if we had any problems with using this computer, or did not know how to do a particular thing on it, IT staff were willing to come here and actually 'walk us through' how to do things. There were even notices on the wall of the computer room urging us to get training to use the Internet. But now, with Platform Housing, everything has changed.

I will finish by saying that I strongly suspect that Platform Housing is no longer even prepared to have a dialogue with us about this problem. I say this because I emailed its CEO, Elizabeth Froude, describing the problem in detail, and though I sent the email on April 15th, I have not as yet received a reply.

Despite what Platform Housing claims, I maintain that we at The Firs are largely (though admittedly no entirely) digitally excluded. If you read Platform's Customer and Community Engagement Strategy (available online) you will see that it expresses various aims regarding tenants' access to digital technology, and I would suggest that with us at The Firs, it is almost completely failing in these aims.

I realise how busy you are, Ms Baldwin, but I hope you will appreciate that we at The Firs are elderly social tenants, that some of us cannot afford private access to the Internet, and that we live in a rather isolated rural situation. I am sure you will therefore see how vital the one computer we have here is us, and how severely this change is affecting us.

Yours sincerely"

I'd appreciate people's opinions on this. I'm sorry that this post is so long, but this is what tends to happen when you're in a long-running situation like this.

In order to get Mr Zabir's message and my message to my MP into this post, I had to take a bus into town. I think this is a ridiculous situation.

No thoughts on the letter but l wonder if a short video would help. 

Quiet obviously no one is understanding this so maybe if someone is able to help you record what is happening or even you set up a video camera to record and show how unusable it has now become then they can see what you are saying or at least have the option to see.

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

That would be good, stick it on YouTube and embarass them if someone could gfilm it and do that.

If l lived close l wouls have offered to come help you. 

Unless you have a trusted friend or family member that could help. Tho Brassedneck seems to understand more than l do as dont know what a gfilm is. 

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

OOPS a typo  ....an over sensitive mechie keyboard I meant Film, I do  film and edit video.  I also would have offered if I was close but I'm up in North Wales Even if someone trusted could film with a smartphone that would also be good, you can get excellent video from phones.

Well no wonder l got looked at strangely. Mine its the fairies in my keyboard and phone that dont like me using some letters and the spacebar especially for my keyboard.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Since everyone here has been so helpful, I thought I'd bring you up to date.

The detailed email I sent to Platform Housing's CEO that can be seen in post #56? She just ignored it. No reply. I sent a reminder a while later, but she ignored that as well. They've just stopped talking to me about the problem.

I said I'd spoken to someone from my local newspaper, the Worcester News. I thought they weren't going to cover the story, but I found out later that they did. Here's the article:

"A TECH savvy older man is having to take buses into the city centre to add email attachments after restraints were put on residents' internet access.

[MY NAME], 68, claims he and other residents at The Firs in Kempsey are unable to send emails, download attachments or have free computer usage. He is having to travel into the city centre and visit The Hive's computers just to attach a document to an email.

He explained that in the last couple of months, Platform Housing has put the shared computer on to kiosk mode which prevents residents from properly using the internet. 

[MY NAME] said: "Originally, any resident who wanted an account on the computer could have one. You would log in with a private password and could do anything you wanted on the computer. Around six weeks ago suddenly Platform Housing put it into kiosk mode."

Kiosk mode only allows one application to run at a time and limits people's full use of the internet. [MY NAME]and other residents are unable to send emails, download attachments or have entirely free computer usage. 

[MY NAME] added:  "The feeling is that they won't trust us with anything. We are not teenagers, we are people in our 60s, 70s and 80s we can be trusted to operate the computer and not abuse it. It feels like they have locked us out - they have digitally excluded us. It makes life very difficult. In our village, we are not served well by public transport. If I want to attach a file to an email I have to take the bus to Worcester library and use one of their machines."

A spokesperson from Platform Housing said: "The computer equipment at The Firs is set in line with equipment at other Platform Housing sites at installation to ensure misuse or downloading of files for safety reasons. These computers are provided as a shared resource for our residents to use for safe internet browsing. There are no files stored locally on the computer for safety reasons, a printer is present at this site and documents can be printed using it."

I won't comment except to say that the bit about the printer is rubbish. They did put a printer bedside the PC, but since we're locked out of the files part of the PC, I can't even ascertain if it's actually installed. There's no paper, and no-one has told us how to print a file using Kiosk mode. 

The only step I can take now is the Housing Ombudsman, but judging from its rating on Trustpilot and Google Reviews, there's probably no point.

This organisation seems to have the attitude of 'they're just social tenants with no power, so we can treat them as we like'.

Hi

You need to exhaust the Housing Associations Complaints Procedure  and have a final response before the Housing Ombudsman will get involved.

I know I have pointed it out in my previous posts but you need to use the Housing Associations own Policies/Documents against them and I point to my post#54 here that document is gold to use against them and you must point out as elderly residents you are being 'Digitally Excluded against this specific document.

The response Platform Housing has given to both your MP and in the News article is complete crap and is them defending themselves and neglecting the important fact they have digitally excluded resident with no consultation nor offer of training to get used to this new setup and the porkies told about the printer.

IMO you need to respond to both the MP and the Author of that News Article as well as Platform Housing so they all know you ain't letting this drop and there excuses given are basically them trying to white wash this matter to make them look good and you use that Strategy of theirs against them.

Now I have done a letter to send in response to what the MP and News Article response was from Platform please only adjust the parts needed but mainly leave as is. You will see at the bottom CC leave that in to let platform see who you are sending copies of this letter to (very deliberate as they wont like that and can do nothing to you for it)

Here is the letter I would send:

Dear Sir/Madam

Reference: (insert MPs Name or the Author of the News Articles Name Here)

Further to your (letter dated XX/XX/2022 or News Article Dated XX/XX/2022) I would like to clarify that the response from Platform has actually failed to give you proper information on this matter of Elderly Residents being Digitally Excluded due top the heavy handed actions they have taken.

The Firs Building have numerous elderly residents which the Platform Housing Association is fully aware of:

1. The Residents of the Firs were never consulted nor informed of these changes taking place to the Computer that the majority of us use and are used to is previous setup before these drastic changes.

2. I was informed by your staff that a printer was installed when if fact there has never been a printer installed until recently due to the MPs contact and the recent news article which Platform Housing Association have also failed to date to provide any paper nor show those residents how to print out what they require in this new kiosk mode and what to do/who to contact if the printer requires replacement ink/fails.

3. All the residents within the Firs that used this computer were used to the setup as it has been for numerous years before this change happened without notification by Platform Housing Association and the residents are neither used to this new layout in fact find it's very difficult to use and have been offered NO assistance in the way of computer training for this new system therefore we feel we have been digitally excluded by the Housing Association.

4. The Resident feel that Platform Housing Association at present keeps giving the exact same reason for security but has therefore Digitally excluded those Residents within the Firs and breached there own Policy in there actions.

I would also like to refer to Platform Housing Group Customer and Community Engagement Strategy 2021-2026 (see link below to download the PDF)

https://www.platformhg.com/search?term=Customer+and+Community+Engagement+Strategy+2021-2026&search=Search&searchType=all

Page 2:  

Our strategy identifies six themes that will support us in our journey to become a truly modern housing association. the two you have failed with in this present case are 'Our Customers' and 'Digital and Intelligence'. As you failed to consult/notify your elderly resident of the changes to this computer system nor offer any support in the way of training to get used to this new system to date.

Page 4: 

a) People Values in this case the Housing Association has failed to Own It as it never consulted/notified those tenants affected nor offered any training support to date even when complained about have basically given the same response and are therefore digitally excluding elderly residents.

b) Be Brave in this case it seems that Digitally excluding Residents due to your software changes to that computer without again consultation/notification nor any offer of Training to date to get used to the new system is the Housing Association 'Be Brave' Digitally Excluding elderly residents.

Page 5:

Our Approach - 'Digital4Everyone', in this case sadly again this is not the case since you updated that system we feel digitally excluded for the reasons stated above.

Page 6:

Platform Housing Group Customer and Community Engagement 'Digital Connectivity', in this case sadly again this is not the case since you updated that system we feel digitally excluded for the reasons stated above.

Page 10:

Community - To build COMMUNITY contribution we will: IMPROVE Digital Inclusion, in this case sadly again this is not the case since you updated that system we feel digitally excluded for the reasons stated above.

Page 12:

Digital - in this case sadly again this is not the case since you updated that system we feel digitally excluded for the reasons stated above.

Page 14:

Page 15: 

Due to the above the Residents of The Firs feel this document is all fine and well putting it up but putting it into practice in this case has fell way short of this document in fat is a breach  of this document for the reasons pointed out and importantly the elderly residents are being Digitally Excluded by Platform Housing Association actions and failure to discuss this matter with those residents.
Platform Housing Association have even failed to setup a meeting at the Firs with the Elderly Residents to discuss these issues which shows a blatant disregard for Customer Care and there own strategy pointed out above.

Thank You for your assistance in this matter.

CC.

MP (insert MPs name here)

News Article Author (insert new article authors name here)

Platform Housing Association

• I agree 1

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

That is superb stu, it should hit a couple of raw nerves, and is exactly the sort of response to expose their intransigence.

Once again, thankyou to everyone for your support. I've just sent an email to the newspaper, incorporating most of Stu's ideas. Here it is:

"Dear Ms Preece

I am afraid I only found your email notifying me about the news article a couple of days ago, which is why I have not replied until now.

The article is just about perfect, and expresses the situation fully, but unfortunately, Platform Housing's response can only be described as 'fobbing you off'. It is wholly misleading. For this reason, I would be grateful if you would read what I have to say here then consider doing a follow-up article. I can assure you of my full cooperation.

As an example of Platform's (in my opinion) disingenuous attitude, I will quote what it told you about the printer:

"There are no files stored locally on the computer for safety reasons, a printer is present at this site and documents can be printed using it".

That is utterly misleading. What happened was, when I complained, a few days later, a printer appeared next to the computer. It doesn't have any paper, and I don't know if it has ink or not. You can switch it on, but that's all. It appears to be plugged in and physically connected (ie: there's a lead running to the PC), but there's no way of knowing even if it has been installed, because everything on the PC to do with printing has been locked out. There's just the Internet and nothing else. I think I know more about computers than most people my age, but I certainly can't figure out how to print a document with this setup. And how can you get a document onto the PC in order to print it? You can't - the PC won't allow you to transfer any files onto it. You can only print stuff that is already on the Internet, and even that is not really feasible, as 'copy' and 'paste' doesn't work anymore. Worst of all, Platform just put this printer there, with no explanation, and appears to be totally unwilling to send someone from IT to show us, a bunch of pensioners, how to figure out how to use it. 

I also don't buy what they say about no files being stored on the PC 'for safety reasons'. For one thing, Firs residents hardly ever stored anything on the PC after the housing association did away with separate accounts and anyone could see what you stored there. The few times I stored a bit of text there when I'd forgotten to bring a USB stick, I noticed my file was usually the only one. The other thing is that it isn't about storing files on the PC - it's about putting them on in order to attaching them to emails, print them, etc.

There are a number of other facts here that shows Platform Housing's apparent disdain for Firs residents:

1. The residents of the Firs were never consulted nor informed of these changes taking place to the computer : we had used it under the previous setup for over 10 years, and these are drastic changes.

2. We have been offered no assistance in the way of computer training for this new system therefore I feel we have been digitally excluded by Platform Housing.

4. I believe Platform Housing has breached its own policy by treating Firs residents this way. I would like to refer to Platform Housing Group Customer and Community Engagement Strategy 2021-2026 (see link below to download the PDF)

https://www.platformhg.com/search?term=Customer+and+Community+Engagement+Strategy+2021-2026&search=Search&searchType=all

Page 2:  

Their strategy identifies what it refers to as 'six themes that will support us in our journey to become a truly modern housing association'. Two it has clearly failed with in this present case are 'Our Customers' and 'Digital and Intelligence', as it failed to consult/notify its elderly resident of the changes to the computer nor offer any support in the way of training to get used to this new system.

Page 4: 

It has failed in what it terms its 'People Values', as it never consulted/notified those tenants affected nor offered any training support to date, and when complained about has basically given the same unhelpful response: it has digitally excluding elderly residents without giving any good reason for doing so. The document states "We say what we’ll do and then we do it. We listen, understand and are empowered to make decisions".  No, they don't listen. it says, "We are connected, collaborative and in it together. We want everyone to reach their potential and be the best they can be. We actively support each other to make this happen." in view of the way they are treating Firs residents, this is plain insulting. it says, "We are curious and courageous. We look for better ways to do things..." Better ways? Depriving elderly people of something they enjoyed for over 10 years?

Page 10:

It says "We will work closely with partners to support and influence community investment as we work to digital inclusion". They're doing the opposite with Firs residents.

Page 12:

It mentions its 'Digital4Everyone Programme', described as "training, help-centres, specialist training, better broadband in rural and digitally isolated areas ". They appear to be doing the very opposite when it comes to Firs residents.

It says, "We recognise that the availability of digital equipment, skills and abilities remain a barrier for some customers and in turn impacts their ability to access an increasingly wide range of services such as health, banking and leisure, as well as our own." This totally contradicts what Platform Housing is doing to Firs residents.

Page 14:

It says, "we will support the delivery of the Equality, Diversity and Inclusion strategy to encourage diverse representation in opportunities for customers to co-create and influence the services we provide". There is very little equality and inclusion if poorer tenants are excluded from a vital facility like the Internet.

To put it plainly, in treating us this way, Platform Housing appears to be just throwing away a lot of the values it claims to espouse, and what is worse, it seems perfectly happy to do so.

This is what I hope your newspaper will look into this matter again.

Yours sincerely"

They might do a follow-up, you never know.

• Like 1

An excellent response, they should take you up on that if they have any nose for a story.

That is a good response for the News Article follow up now do the exact same to the MPs letter that you got as well. (post#56)

Remember the power is in that document of Platform Housings and you use it against them.

These are the important facts to always remember on this issue:

1. Platform Housing Group Customer and Community Engagement Strategy 2021-2026

2. Elderly Resident at The Firs

3. Digitally Excluded.

4. No Consultation nor notification in writing of these changes to the Computer setup.

5. No offer of Training to the Elderly Resident of The Firs to get use to this New Computer Setup.

Yes their document is the best weapon to use against them they have breached every commitment in there at The Firs.

photo?spsize=80X80&fallback_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs.yimg.com%2Fdh%2Fap%2Fsocial%2Fprofile%2Fprofile_a64.png&alphatar_photo=true&appId=YMailNorrin&badge=false
As suggested, I've just emailed my MP again. Here's the message:

"Dear Ms Baldwin

I am sorry to be writing to you a third time about this problem, but Platform Housing is just completely ignoring it: Elizabeth Froud, the CEO, will not even reply to my emails.

One thing I feel I must point out is that Platform appears to be deliberately ignoring all its stated aims with regard to digital inclusion when it comes to the way Firs residents are being treated.

It has published a mission statement titled 'Customer and Community Engagement Strategy', which can be seen online. It discusses its aims with regard to digital inclusion in considerable detail, but it would appear that in its treatment of Firs residents, it is flouting all of those aims. I will give some examples:

On page 2:

Its strategy identifies what it refers to as 'six themes that will support us in our journey to become a truly modern housing association'. Two it has clearly failed with in this present case are 'Our Customers' and 'Digital and Intelligence', as it failed to consult/notify its elderly residents of the changes to the computer and did not offer any support in the way of training to get used to this new system.

On Page 4: 

It has failed in what it terms its 'People Values', as it never consulted/notified those tenants affected nor offered any training support to date, and when complained about has basically given the same unhelpful response: it has digitally excluding elderly residents without giving any good reason for doing so. The document states "We say what we’ll do and then we do it. We listen, understand and are empowered to make decisions".  No, they don't listen. it says, "We are connected, collaborative and in it together. We want everyone to reach their potential and be the best they can be. We actively support each other to make this happen." in view of the way they are treating Firs residents, this is plain insulting. it says, "We are curious and courageous. We look for better ways to do things..." Better ways? Depriving elderly people of something they enjoyed for over 10 years?

Page 10:

It says "We will work closely with partners to support and influence community investment as we work to digital inclusion". They're doing the opposite with Firs residents.

Page 12:

It mentions its 'Digital4Everyone Programme', described as "training, help-centres, specialist training, better broadband in rural and digitally isolated areas "

They appear to be doing the very opposite when it comes to Firs residents.

It says, "We recognise that the availability of digital equipment, skills and abilities remain a barrier for some customers and in turn impacts their ability to access an increasingly wide range of services such as health, banking and leisure, as well as our own." This totally contradicts what Platform Housing is doing to Firs residents.

Page 14:

It says, "we will support the delivery of the Equality, Diversity and Inclusion strategy to encourage diverse representation in opportunities for customers to co-create and influence the services we provide". There is very little equality and inclusion if poorer tenants are excluded from a vital facility like the Internet.

To put it plainly, in treating Firs residents this way, Platform Housing appears to be just throwing away a lot of the values it claims to espouse, and what is worse, it seems perfectly happy to do so. In spite of all its stated aims, all it has done for us at The Firs has been to effectively remove a facility we enjoyed without any problems for over ten years. It claims we can use the new setup to do the same things we were able to do with the old one, but it will not show us how to do this. It appears to be treating us with utter disdain.

With the greatest of respect, Ms Baldwin, if you are to help us in this, you will need to do more than simply accept Platform Housing's excuses for why it is treating us this way.  This is an important matter. As you know, access to the digital world is becoming more and more essential every day, and people without such access are rapidly becoming side-lined by Society. For this reason it is simply wrong for Platform to shut us out of the one communal portal to the Internet that we have. Whatever Platform Housing is telling you, the way it is actually treating us is unacceptable.

Yours sincerely"

Don't think it'll do much good, but you have to try these things.

It will help in the long run, they need to be informed and given the true facts, then if they ignore they make themselves look as bad as the HA.

Hi

I noticed in your last post, post#69 to your MP that you mention the Customer and Community Engagement Strategy but it may be an error but I don't see that you have added the link to Platforms website  to download that specific PDF which is important so your MP can view that PDF and your letter.

If it has been missed just follow up with your MP referring to your last email and add the website link:

Hi everyone

Yesterday I got an email from the councillor I'd first contacted, asking me if things had improved. I thought I'd show you all my reply:

"Thank you very much for contacting me. Unfortunately, my original message to you achieved absolutely nothing (though I'm sure you did your best). I have made further efforts to fix this problem, but to no avail, and it has got to the point where I feel I'm just talking to myself.

I contacted the Worcester News and they ran an article, but when they approached Platform Housing, its response was totally unhelpful. I contacted my MP, Harriett Baldwin, but she got the same unhelpful response when she approached them. I then emailed Elizabeth Froude, Platform's CEO, but she did not reply. I emailed her again, with the same result. Platform is simply refusing to enter into any dialogue whatsoever.

Its chief excuse regarding this change to our computer setup is that they want to protect residents' information, but I am deeply sceptical about this, because for one thing, they actually removed residents' long-standing protection a long time before they made this change. When I first came to The Firs, anyone who wanted a private account on the computer could have one: this meant that when you switched the computer on, you saw several icons with usernames beside them, you clicked on yours, then put in your own unique password to get into the computer. If you needed to save the odd file, this was in your account only, behind that password an inaccessible to other residents. But a couple of years ago, this was all changed: suddenly there were no private accounts, and not even a password to get onto the computer. If you saved a file, it was there for all to see, so you had to remember to copy it onto a USB stick then delete it from the computer, or just download the information directly onto the USB stick from the Web. But if you wanted your information secure, that was no problem. But now they've locked us out of the computer with Kiosk Mode in the name of security, and as you can see from what I've just written, it appears to be a bogus excuse.

Platform has supplied a printer, but it's useless to us. There's no paper, we don't even know if there's ink, and worst of all, there's no way of knowing how it interfaces with the present setup of the computer. If I wanted to print out an email right now, I wouldn't have the faintest idea how to do it, and I'm one of the most computer-savvy people here. The other problems persist:

1) No copying and pasting. If I wanted to insert a link into this email, it would be impossible. I'm going to give you a link to a Platform Housing publication later on, but the only reason I'll be able to do it is because I've borrowed someone's laptop to write this message.

2) No ad-blocker. The Chrome browser had an ad-blocker that worked fine, but now they've switched us to the Edge browser, we're plagued with ads. Some websites are almost unusable. The Daily Mail and Guardian, for instance, are full of animated popups that distract the eye, and the Mail has so many ads, the whole screen jumps up and down as the ads load, for minutes on end. Youtube videos are interrupted ever couple of minutes or so. The thing is, Edge has its own ad-blocker, made by Microsoft, but Platform will not enable it, and we can't enable it ourselves, as all controls are locked away from us. I've asked Platform to enable it, but just got a flat refusal.

3) We still can't upload anything from outside the computer. For instance, if I were seeking your help on a matter that was affecting my health, and I needed to show you a letter from my GP, until recently that would have been easy: just scan it, put in onto a USB stick, write an email to you and attach the letter. Now, that is simply impossible.

One very important thing to note is that in its treatment of Firs residents, Platform Housing is going against everything it claims to stand for when it comes to digital inclusion for its tenants. Here is a pdf of its 'mission statement' (which, I should remind you, I could not even link you to using the Firs computer):

https://www.platformhg.com/download.cfm?doc=docm93jijm4n6904.pdf&ver=10036

Its treatment of Firs residents renders this publication meaningless.

I hope you will contact Platform again and try to get its staff to engage with us. Thank you."

I copied Platform Housing's CEO into the message. Probably won't do any good, but it's made me feel that at least I'm trying.

• Like 2

Hi Dave2019

That response to your councillor is short and direct so lets see how your councillor will act with Platform.

I think you have noticed that Platform are not telling the correct facts to news article/MP/Councillor which is absolutely typical of these Housing Association to always give there version of events to make them look as if they have done everything by the book to make them look good we haven't done anything wrong.

This is when you challenge them as you have done and throw there own Customer Community Engagement Strategy in there face and you keep doing this with what I have pointed out in post#67 (as a reference).

The more you do this the more Platform are not going to like it as it impacts their own Customer Care Policy, Complaints Policy and that specific Customer Engagement Strategy as these look more like just a paper exercise to make them look good but putting them into practice they are not just failing but are in fact Breaching those Policies.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Open

Hi

Original poster here. I stopped contributing to this thread because I was just fed up with the battle I was waging with Platform Housing,  my housing association, and more or less gave up. It was very bad-mannered of me not to say this and to just leave the thread hanging like that. I do apologise.

I'm starting it up again because I've decided I want to fight on. It's partly because it's a pain having the computer the way it is when we had no trouble with it for literally years, but it's mainly because I hate the arrogant attitude of this housing association: it sees us all as 'mere social housing tenants' who should be jolly well grateful for anything it deigns to give them, and it automatically assumes that in any dispute with a tenant, it will always win.

One development, in mid-August, was that someone with the title 'Digital Transformation Officer' came to the complex to 'give tenants some training on the new setup' - in reality, I think he was here to help Platform Housing justify what it was doing.

I then  emailed him about the problems this Kiosk Mode was causing, and once again asking for things to be put back to the way they were. I got a reply which included this:

"Great to meet you this morning. I spoke to our Director of Technology and Delivery Group ICT this afternoon and, as promised, raised the issues we discussed. This is what I found out:

Q. Is it possible to install Ad blocker on Edge in Kiosk mode?
A. Unfortunately not. There is no way to do this.

Q. Would it be possible to return the PC to 'full' mode rather than Kiosk?
A. The issue is that if we do that and the PC becomes infected with a virus which infects, say your email, or online banking, or anything - we Platform Housing are responsible, because that virus came down our broadband onto our machine. However, IT seemed interested when I suggested what if the residents who use the computer signed something to say you took responsiblity. IT think that if Platform gifted the PC to the Firs, and residents signed a document saying this is an asset which Platform are transferring to you as a gift - they might buy that solution. Then you could do anything you want with the PC. But you would be responsible for repairs."

It's very interesting that they're considering a move like this. Reading between the lines, I think they're paranoid at a tenant suing over some data breach (though that was never a problem in the previous ten years or more) and are taking the attitude of 'if the pc belongs to the tenants and something bad happens, it'll be nothing to do with us'.

I'd be happy with this gifting idea, and I'd be able to manage the pc and install virus protection, etc, but if all the tenants have to vote on it, I don't know if it'll go through - they're all pretty old and not at all computer-savvy, so I think they'll say, "Oh, I don't like the idea of that - let's just stick to the way things are now".

One interesting point. Yesterday I got an email message purporting to be from Yahoo, telling me I had to upgrade my email that very day, otherwise I'd be blocked. It gave me a link to click on to do the updating. It looked very official but I smelled a rat, and Googled it. It turned out to be a phishing scam, and if I'd clicked on that link, I would probably have had my email account hacked and all my private details there stolen.

Now please correct me if I'm wrong here, but the PC being in Kiosk Mode would not have prevented that at all.  Am I right?

Edited by Dave2019
To correct typos