Insurance dispute(ANY ADVICE PLEASE)

Dna87
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 766 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there I hope I’ve posted this in the correct place.

I have been self employed and doing work for a company up until 5 weeks ago. They supplied a van which I was a named driver on.

About 2 years ago I had an accident by hitting a fallen tree in the dark and did some damage to the van(which at the time the bloke from the company said don’t worry we will fix it which he never did)

now Ive left and started up my own business

5 weeks ago he’s now wanting my drivers licence number in order to claim for the van as he says they're writing it off as it would be cheaper.

my question is

do I need to give him my details and would this affect my new or future policies.

Cheers

No need to give those details. 

You need to be truthful in the answers you give when applying for insurance. An insurance policy is a contract of utmost good faith, and inaccurate information, for example as to whether you have been involved in an accident, can be a reason for an insurance company to refuse to cover a claim. 

no need at all

ignore him.

• Thanks 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

He cannot claim if the damage occurred 2 years ago, as that would be outside of any time limit for an Insurance claim to be made. Insurance policies contain contract terms in regard to time limits for damage to vehicles they Insure.

• Thanks 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

As others have said if tries to report it to his insurers as a claim for damage to the vehicle it will be rejected as being made way too late.

But even if he was within time he wouldn't need your driving licence number to make a claim. Don't disclose that to him. If he is determined to submit a claim to insurers it will be a claim by him (his company) as it's their van. He'll be asked to name the driver and all he'd need to give is your name and address. Presumably he already has that. In the highly unlikely event his insurance company accepts his claim they will approach you direct. If that happens come back here for more advice.

• Thanks 1

UPDATE…..

so I took advice and didn’t reply nor did I hand over my details.

he contacted me via text message numerous times in a short space saying he needs to make the claim.

he has finally text saying he’s informed them that I’m unwilling to give details so the insurance company is handing it over to the legal team(scare tactics I presume)

what do you guys suggest now?

thank you for your help and advice

Do nothing. 

Take the position that you are happy to disclose whatever information the insurers need if they contact you direct. Because if they do contact you direct you should disclose to them whatever they need as there is no dispute thaty you were the driver at the time of the damage to the vehicle 2 years ago and they are entitled to ask you.

Just by way of an example, this is the information that would typically be required when your ex-employer makes a claim. Note it asks whether the driver has a full licence but doesn't ask for the licence number on the claim form. Insurers might subsequently ask the driver for the licence number so they can do a DVLA licence check to confirm you hold a licence and any endorsements on it. If they ask you direct you should provide the number.

. (nig.com)

The legal team stuff is probably B/S but even if the legal team do contact you it's not a problem for you at all. You''ll just reply insurers have never asked you for it, you're happy to provide it, and here's what you want.

My cynical guess is that he wants all the insurer's requests routed through him because that way you won't get to see what he's put in his claim form about when the accident occurred  But if insurers contact you direct, they will refer to the accident date. Which might not be when it actually occurred....

• Thanks 1

Personally I wouldn't be giving any information to his 'Legal Team', you have no way of knowing if that's official or not.

Comply with a request from an insurance company to basically confirm that you were an employee at the time of the incident and you were insured on the company policy to drive the vehicle - I'd stop there, admitting you were the driver should not be an admission of fault but it could be interpreted as such and could then turn into liability.

I reckon he's had another accident and wants to claim it all off your name otherwise why wait 2 years to claim?

• Thanks 1