Debt in U.K. living in EU country

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 754 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, I’ve read back over past posts and gained some really helpful info but our situation is a little  different so I wonder if anyone has any useful info please 

we moved to Spain just before Brexit and got residency here, leaving with debt back in the U.K. fully intending to carry on paying what we owe and have done since .

However, due to rising costs of living here in Spain we’re really struggling to keep on top of it all. I’d rather not walk away from it but 99% now feel it’s our only option. We have no assets  in the U.K. but have still maintained a U.K. address (my parents address)  as this is necessary for work (we work remotely for a U.K. company and it was a condition of being allowed to move here). So it’s impossible for us to give that up.

If I write to all our creditors to give them our Spanish address would they still pursue us still in the U.K.

I don’t want my parents to be harassed.

Im Just  not sure which way to go with this so any advice would be very much appreciated.

My debt is 2 x loans (£7000 and £1500 2 x  credits cards £4400 & £1700 and hubbies is pretty much the same amounts. 
TIA 

Madge 

Give them your Spanish address with a copy of residency as proof you live in Spain.

However, debt chasing letters will still be received at your parents address, as any debt collection agency searching records will find the UK address record.  And if your parents have a landline number they will probably get phone calls as well.

And years down the line, any debt buyers may use the UK address to try to gain a CCJ.

It is often not the original creditor Bank that causes the harassment or that issues the Court claim, but the debt buying agencies who chase the debts a few years after any default.

If you write to the Banks you owe money to with your Spanish address details, tell them you are in financial difficulties and ask what help they can provide you.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks for replying - that was what I feared and kind of expected to be honest . I’ll start by contacting the Loan and credit card companies firstoff  see if they can help 

how old are these debts?

when did you take each out?

are they still with original creditors?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Take out dateS?

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

please be more specific with before that. they've only 6yrs to do 'something'

and i  somewhat disagree with some of my my fellow siteteams advice.

if you write to each debt owner with your correct and current address, they should not be holding or forwarding on any past UK address.

you parents are certainly very safe , even to silly DCA letters in the years to come.

but you must update each creditor.

to be truthful, as you are abroad, there is very very little anyone can do should you simply write informing of orrect and current address

and then simply forget about the debts totally.

although we dont condone debt avoidance we most certainly do not shy from telling the truth.

dx

and they

Sorry dx, I wasn’t specific because we’ve  been using them and are still paying the minimum amounts, so didn’t think it was relevant re them Having 6 years to do something. 

Really appreciate your thoughts about it and that’s made me feel so much better. I think I may start the ball rolling and get the addresses changed firstoff 

thanks again 

Madge

Takeout date is important with regard to how likely enforceable paperwork still exists ie the agreement you signed.

but thats pretty immaterial in your case.

DX

and they

My personal experience, having been the UK relative receiving post for a relative that had moved to Spain, is that UK Debt owners choose to ignore having been told of a Spanish address.

My relative had for similar reasons, needed to provide a UK address and this gives UK creditors enough of a reason to use the UK address for correspondence.

Your Spanish address won't be recorded against your UK records. It will be your parents address that is showing.  So they will be receiving not only letters etc about your financial matters, but also junk mail etc.

After a few years of hassle, I made sure my address was removed and also received compensation from a Debt company who tried to ignore debt collection rules, of continuing to communicate to a third party address, when it was noted the debtor lived elsewhere.

So if you don't want your parents to be harassed, either don't use their address or you need to remain in contact with UK creditors after providing your Spanish address.  Also you need to ask your parents to forward onto you any letters they received.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread