Disputing Settled claim amount

Caramelb
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 742 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi wonder if I can get some advice.

My previous car insurance company recently settled a third party Claim made against me. I have very serious concerns that the third party exaggerated the repairs/replacement that was needed on their vehicle and the insurance company just paid and expect to recover all the costs from me (there is an all section £3000 excess on my claim and I’m at fault for loaning my car out). However I’m not saying I shouldn’t be paying anything it’s just the amount I’m Querying.

The insurance Company sent me the invoice from the third-party saying it was their report, but there was no report it was just a price list. I asked for the report from their engineer who verified the works and I was ignored.

They then told me that my complaint wasn’t upheld and that if I am dissatisfied I can complain to the financial ombudsman.

Is there any way that I can get all the details reports information from this claim?

• 4 weeks later...

The damage to the third parties car was scratches to the right hand side of the front bumper. The car was a Ford Focus ST-3 2013. 
They paid out:

Property Damage:           £4004.69

Credit Hire:                         £740.77

Investigation Fee:            £230.00

i put a complaint through to the ombudsman and I also sent in a subject access request for all my data but I have not heard anything yet

Edited by dx100uk
unnecessary previous post quote removed

This is why I was questioning them about it.

The claims investigator told me it’s a couple hundred damage and he even wrote in one email to them

‘I have damage photos which are minor from this RTC.’

I see if I have attach more information 

I wasn’t the one that was driving but at the time of the incident the driver (driving my car) said that it was just the bumper that was damaged. He sent me photo of both cars. I requested for all my data and they sent me some details of the claim

Initially it says 

Circumstances - PH vehicle has served across the path of TP vehicle and hit them.’ 

‘TPV Damage - wheel arch drivers side has been dislodged and touches wheel, front wing mirror pushed in, headlight drivers side broken, front bumper damaged.’

‘Uninsured drivers VOE - UD came out of the tunnel & was indicating to move into the left lane. TP was behind the PHV & didn’t see PHV before they hit PHV in the rear.’

‘TPI outlay received

Repairs £4004.69

Front driver side bumper Grille wing bonnet and lights damaged Full est and images on file

Matches head on collision with our uninsured driver.

Outlay Paid’

My concern is that the TP has charged for works not related to the accident and my insurance has just paid out as they will be recovering the full amount from me. I asked the why was the right-wing mirror, the wheelhouse trim, washer jets, front outer door handle, outer door channel moulding, and bumper griddle replaced? When I look at the location of where the damage occurred and also the photos of mine and the Ford Focus it doesn’t seem right to me. It says it was a head on collision but the wing mirror is on the side of the car.  Even still how can the wing mirror get damaged! 

Also, they have a charge to repair the front bumper but it was replaced! And then there charges on the invoice listed under ‘EXTRAS’ for corrosion protection, Covid 19, alloy wheel refurb, Door foil, Car care kit, E.P.A charge, Diagnostic reset, Tech data + methods, and Sundry services. Should these have been charged? This is all what I asked my insurance company to answer. 

it looks like they didn’t even inspect the TP vehicle themselves. They just accept the first invoice and price to close the claim quickly. 

34070459-64FC-423C-8445-374D1E1451FE.pdf

Clearly a few things don’t make perfect sense, but you weren’t there so you have no witness standpoint.

How trustworthy/credible of a witness was the uninsured driver? You need to get an absolutely honest, complete and detailed account of what happened from them. And any independent witnesses if there were any.

Based on that, my next step might be to instruct an independent repairer to scrutinise the account of the incident, the photos and the repair costs and see what discrepancies he can highlight in his professional opinion. They will obviously  charge you for this.

With that I’d work out what reduction I can actually prove would be fair and put it to your insurers.

Remember your position isn’t great though: you let someone drive your car uninsured and you weren’t there so didn’t witness what actually happened. But in your position I’d scrutinise the invoice as well.

Garages that deal with Insurance companies are mostly honest and provide information that relates to the accident damage only.  They won't risk giving inaccurate damage reports and estimates, as if they were found out to be increasing the work they obtained in an underhand way, then they would risk losing contracts.

Up to you, but I don't think you will get anywhere with this, if you continued to argue. As @Refuse2bendoversays above "Remember your position isn’t great though"

Let the FOS complain run and this will delay the time when you will have to start making repayments for the amount you owe.  And when you do start repaying, work out a low amount you can afford and offer this to the Insurers. 

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

8 hours ago, Refuse2bendover said:

Clearly a few things don’t make perfect sense, but you weren’t there so you have no witness standpoint.

How trustworthy/credible of a witness was the uninsured driver? You need to get an absolutely honest, complete and detailed account of what happened from them. And any independent witnesses if there were any.

Based on that, my next step might be to instruct an independent repairer to scrutinise the account of the incident, the photos and the repair costs and see what discrepancies he can highlight in his professional opinion. They will obviously  charge you for this.

With that I’d work out what reduction I can actually prove would be fair and put it to your insurers.

Remember your position isn’t great though: you let someone drive your car uninsured and you weren’t there so didn’t witness what actually happened. But in your position I’d scrutinise the invoice as well.

Well not that truth-worthy as he lied to me about having his own Insurance. I still have been unable to contact him so all I have is the initial accounts from him.

I really just wanted a second opinion as I know nothing about cars and I just thought it was a bit excesses.