• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

traceyjsmith v HSBC ** WON **

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6270 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hi tracey I think you have got your dates wrong. if you filed at court on 14 dec, the earliest it would have been served is 16th which would give them until 30th Dec to acknowledge (maybe longer with bank holidays? not sure) and if they did that, 13th Jan to defend.

edit: check your notice of issue to see what the date of service was

doesn't it look like the acknowledgment slipped by them - else why would the clerk tell her that? filed on the 14th, deemed served 19th, + 14 = 2 Jan., I think they didn't acknowledge which means, judgment. hope so anyway. still needs the question answered -

bailiffs the way to go?

Thanks for responses, the dates on my notice of issue are:

claim issued 14/12/06

deemed served 16/12/06

defendant has until 02/01/07 to reply

I would still appriciate any answers to the question about the bailiffs

tracey, i know you filed an N1 but found this on the mcol site:

What if the defendant ignores my claim?

If the defendant chooses not to respond to your claim, you can request judgment by default, online. MCOL will prevent you from doing so until 14 days from the date of service have passed, or 28 days where the defendant has filed an acknowledgement of service. The date of service is calculated to be 5 days from the date your claim was issued.

You may request judgment by default through Money Claim Online by selecting the Judgment Start option

You will be asked to decide whether you want the defendant to pay your claim by instalments or in one lump payment. If you have claimed interest as part of your original claim (i.e. you included details of interest claimed in the Particulars of Claim), you are entitled to claim interest from the date of issue up to the date you are requesting judgment.

Once you have submitted your request for judgment by default, MCOL will deal with your request. Where it is received before 9am on a day when the court is open, the request will be processed at the end of the day: where it is received after 9am, it will be processed on the next day (again, at the end of the day) when the court is open and may not appear on MCOL until the following day (see viewing the progress of a claim).

This means that, if the defendant files a response (an acknowledgment of service, a defence or a part admission) with the court by 4pm on the same day as your request is to be processed, the response will take priority over your judgment request.

again, i know it's mcol but the idea is the same - get the judgment started as soon as possible as it looks like they can still delay it if they file their acknowledgment late. i'm sure crusher has said before about sending in the bailiffs and the part about payment in installments - you want a lump sum. will try to get someone to look at your thread.

pm'd lively lad - he'll be along to advise.

• Haha 1

Hi Tracy both Bong and Lateralus are correct for the different scenarios. What we need to establish is have they acknowledged? If they have then Bong's imetable is the one to follow and if they havent then latties advice you need to follow.

Log onto MCOL and ask for judgement this will clear it up, as it will not allow you to ask for judgement if the time has not elapsed.

Once you have done this come back to me.

Thanks for all the advice, but I got a 2 letters this morning one from the court saying sorry we got it wrong they filed an acknowledgment on 19/12/06 so they now have 28 days from the date of service to file a defence.

Letter 2 was from the smarmy GITS themselves making me a very pathetic offer which I do not want to accept.

Do I still send them a rejection letter even though I have filed at court?

Lateralus, I have just pm'd Bong this question. I am worried I may have screwed up.

When I sent my 1st request letter I went back to oct '00' because I sent the data protection letter in oct '06', the problem is I didnt't send the 1st request letter until nov '06' and the bank have pointed out that they can only go back until nov '00' so I have asked for £27.50 too much!!!

I don't know what to do next, I'm not sure if you can change the amount asked for in the court issue or just send a rejection letter and hope they are more bothered about court than £27.50??

Any thoughts?

i would first send the breakdown to dg and put your claim number on it

plus i'd do a little math breakdown for them - like:

charges claimed for:£xxxx.xx

interest £ xxx.xx

court fee £ xxx.xx

subtotal £ xxxx.xx

minus chrg oct.00 - 27.50

total £ xxxx.xx

my thinking, might as well be up front about it. saves them stringing it out later.

as for the court - i'd call and explain that you inadvertantly added a charge that would now be prior to the allowed date if you are going by the six years (i know some have claimed and gotten it - they must be going over these with a fine tooth comb now), ask the courts advise - i think worst case scenario is you would have to file the correction thingy for £35. but i don't think you will. this would be my advice.

my last word on this: do whatever bong tells you to do - she is one clever lassie and won't steer you wrong. or pm livelylad, he's very knowledgable. my advice above is my own brand of grass roots common sense and may not work.

tracey it really doesn't matter about the £27.50. When they offer to settle they will deduct it and you will either agree or say why you think the 6 year limitation period should not apply to your claim. There are arguments for this and if you were interested in finding out more about it I'd suggest you do some research in the forum - there are quite a few threads that discuss the issues.

• 2 weeks later...

HSBC entered a defence on monday, I'm not panicking as I have read somewhere in the forum that they have done this before! Today I got my allocation questionnaire which doesn't look too complicated, the question I have is part G where it asks for other info that I think is relevent including info supplied by HSBC. A friend of mine said thay would ask the bank to disclose how much it actually costs them when they bounce a cheque etc (something I don't think they would want the public knowing about!!) so do I put this in here?????

We are at the same place in the time line I got mine at weekend. Will keep an eye on your thread to see how you are doing.

Good luck.

4th January 2008 - Prelim sent

16th January 2008 - Standard reply - NO!

firstly, i always advise this way - first what is your aq deadline?

leave the filing until the last minute (figuratively)

if you sent dg your breakdown when you were acknowledged -ring them and ask if they have been received - then tell themyou will be filing your aq "shortly" and were wondering if you might be hearing something from them soon. if you didn't send dg your breakdown before, do it now - pronto and then do the above.

as for the aq, there is loads of help on here, i'll find the stuff:

Bex v HSBC ***WON*** (multipage.gif1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)

Bex7 start on page 4 , post 70 and read down for 4-5 posts - read bong's advice about the new strategy - all the links are in bex's thread.

it never hurts to start looking at the aq and gettingyour thoughts together -but hopefully dg will offer before and you won't need to file it.

I too received my AQ at the weekend. They filed their defence on Thursday, 5 days before their deadline!! I'm scared now!!

So I have till 30th Jan and I have sent and faxed my schedule of charges a couple of weeks ago. Should I send them again? Maybe to refresh their minds and bring me to the top of the pile?

Anyway, we can all keeps tabs on each others progress. Good luck and I'll race you to the finish line!!

Thanks guys, Lateralus the date my aq has to be in is the 1st feb. As my claim is under £1500 I do not have to pay when I send it in. I have not sent my breakdown to DG yet as they never asked for one, but will send one off tomorrow. What do I need to put in the covering note? Last question, does any one know what to put in section G on the aq, if I want full disclosure of their costs do I have to ask now or can I do it if or when it goes to court?

Thanks Michael, thats a lot paper I need to provide!!

Does any one have a contact number for Kate Eaves, I have tryed the number in the contact page but it is on voicemail and the DG Solicitors are ex-directory canny gits!