If you ever get robbed/mugged

dax
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6330 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If you ever get robbed at a cash point or forced to draw money from one.

You can notify the police by putting your pin in reverse.

The ATM notices that your pin has been entered backwards when your card is placed in the machine.The machine will still give you the money requested, but unbeknown to the robber, the police will also be automatically despatched to help you.

Its seldom used because people dont know it exists.

If you ever get robbed at a cash point or forced to draw money from one.

You can notify the police by putting your pin in reverse.

The ATM notices that your pin has been entered backwards when your card is placed in the machine.The machine will still give you the money requested, but unbeknown to the robber, the police will also be automatically despatched to help you.

Its seldom used because people dont know it exists.

user_online.gifreputation.gif vbrep_register("428043") report.gif

I could well be mistaken, but I seem to remember reading recently on here somewhere and on the "truth or fiction" website that this is an "Urban Myth".

As octron32 says, such number reversal would be pretty useless with numbers that read the same each way.

Sorry to disappoint.

Jimbo 44 - always happy to help, but always willing to learn from being corrected too!!! Whilst any advice given may be based upon personal experience, please always be sure you seek guidance from a professional in the particular field.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark, but a large group of professionals built the Titanic.

A 'click' on the scales is always appreciated if I have helped. Many Thanks!

ooh that tick looks suspicious, and apparently according to jules, whos sister works for Barclays, the last post is a myth. Can anyone confirm its valididty? This was info given to me, so id like to know if its kosher or not

I could well be mistaken, but I seem to remember reading recently on here somewhere and on the "truth or fiction" website that this is an "Urban Myth".

Also, such number reversal would be pretty useless with numbers that read the same each way.

Sorry to disappoint.

Jimbo 44 - always happy to help, but always willing to learn from being corrected too!!! Whilst any advice given may be based upon personal experience, please always be sure you seek guidance from a professional in the particular field.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark, but a large group of professionals built the Titanic.

A 'click' on the scales is always appreciated if I have helped. Many Thanks!

This is almost certainly an urban myth. The ATM is looking for a pin that matches the one assigned to that card account. It is not looking for anything else.

Alliance & leicester:Settled 8/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/alliance-leicester-successes/19700-tamadus-l.html?highlight=tamadus

Capital One:Settled 22/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/capital-one/16644-tamadus-capital-one.html?highlight=tamadus

MBNA 2 accounts:Settled 22/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/other-institutions-successes/13831-tamadus-mbna-i.html?highlight=tamadus

Smile:Settled 15/11/06

Egg Card:S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 2/10/06

GE Money:S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent3/8/06 LBA sent 26/9/06

Abbey:ERC prelim sent 14/9/06. LBA sent 2/10/06. Now it's getting interesting so keep watching

Barclaycard:In criminal default watch this space

Lloyds TSB:In criminal default watch this space

If my comments have been useful please click the scales and let me know.

Ive been mugged by my bank several times if i put in my account number backwards will they arrested!

Hmmm I think I must be as every time I put my card in one of those ATM machines and enter a 4 digit number my bank balance drops :eek:

Alliance & leicester:Settled 8/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/alliance-leicester-successes/19700-tamadus-l.html?highlight=tamadus

Capital One:Settled 22/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/capital-one/16644-tamadus-capital-one.html?highlight=tamadus

MBNA 2 accounts:Settled 22/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/other-institutions-successes/13831-tamadus-mbna-i.html?highlight=tamadus

Abbey:ERC prelim sent 14/9/06. LBA sent 2/10/06. Now it's getting interesting so keep watching

People talk, stuff gets mentioned, im sacking the mate that told me that, its the second piece of garbage ive passed on, great sight the snopes one though, ill refer to it next time first before I post any info through the grapevine

strangely enough this question was also in the letters page of todays Daily Mail and it got the same answer :D

It must be doing the rounds yet again lol

Going to say, my PIN is a palendrome anyway so Id always have the police at my side

Whatever I post is my opinion and should be taken as such, an opinion. While it is what I believe and is offered in good faith, it should not be taken as a statement of truth

There's loads of rubbish being circulated - I once got taken in by some e-mail condemning 'bonsai kittens' where people were supposedly growing kittens in jars to mould them into a certain shape. It was a sick hoax, but ever since that I never take anything at face value.

~

:p I'm a lover, not a fighter... well, most of the time :razz: ~

Bonsaikitty was a funny, funny website, very obviously a hoax and all done very tongue-in-cheek. No one complains about the Monty Python 'pet shop' sketch when Palin offers to turn a terrier into a goldfish by cutting its legs off and putting a tube in it's neck... :rolleyes:

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

I did at first, stupidly. But even if its a joke I personally don't find the idea of putting kittens in jars and sealing their bits up with superglue funny. No offense to you - maybe I just didn't get the joke. Don't get me wrong, I'm not some staight-laced prissy - I laugh at people when they fall over - I just don't find animal cruelty funny.

~

I'm not implying anything, and I honestly don't mean any offense. I didn't want to start an argument! I just didn't think it was funny thats all. And my original point was that there's a lot of crap being cirulated on the internet that people should be wary of believing, that is all, honest guv' :)

~

As above, I'm not taking offence. I just think that people found bonsaikitty so shocking because the site owner had mocked up pictures (nothing explicit; things like a kitten putting its paw on a glass jar, or a cat making a weird face up against what looked like a window - if you believed the accompanying text, these were pictures of 'cats in jars') illustrating the joke. As I posted above, Monty Python did something in a very similar vein forty years ago, with their Pet Shop gag. I'll post it below. My point is, was it just the visual imagery that made it more 'real' in peoples' minds, and therefore more shocking? I would never cause an animal to suffer, only maniacs and troglodytes do that; I like to think that it is because I have a very firm grip on what is real and what is not. I can laugh at something that isn't real, be it a cartoon show or Evil Dead II - but if I saw a dad strangling his son in the street (Simpsons) or people hacking each other up with chainsaws (Evil Dead II :rolleyes: ) in my local park, well, obviously, that's something entirely different!

I'm done. Enjoy the Python :D

M=Man [JC], S=Shopkeeper [MP], G=Harry [GC]

Caption: A PET SHOP SOMEWHERE NEAR MELTON MOWBRAY

M Good morning, I'd like to buy a cat.

S Certainly sir. I've got a lovely terrier. [indicates a box on the counter]

M no, I want a cat really.

S [taking box off counter and then putting it back on counter as if it is a different box] Oh yeah, how about that?

M [looking in box] No, that's the terrier.

S Well, it's as near as dammit.

M Well what do you mean? I want a cat.

S Listen, tell you what. I'll file its legs down a bit, take its snout out, stick a few wires through its cheeks. There you are, a lovely pussy cat.

M Its not a proper cat.

S What do you mean?

M Well it wouldn't miaow.

S Well it would howl a bit.

M No, no, no, no. Er, have you got a parrot?

S No, I'm afraid not actually guv, we're fresh out of parrots. I'll tell you what though ... I'll lop its back legs off, make good, strip the fur, stick a couple of wings on and staple on a beak of your own choice. [taking small box and rattling it] No problem. Lovely parrot.

M how long would that take?

S Oh, let me see ... er, stripping the fur off, no legs ... [calling] Harry ... can you do a parrot job on this terrier straight away?

G [off-screen] No, I'm still putting a tuck in the Airedale, and then I got the frogs to let out.

S Friday?

M No I need it for tomorrow. It's a present.

S Oh dear, it's a long job. You see parrot conversion ... Tell you what though, for free, terriers make lovely fish. I mean I could do that for you straight away. Legs off, fins on, stick a little pipe through the back of its neck so it can breathe, bit of gold paint, make good ...

M You'd need a very big tank.

S It's a great conversation piece.

M Yes, all right, all right ... but, er, only if I can watch.

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)