Home Office and UKVI sharing COVID-19 passenger location form info with other agencies (HMRC and SLC)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 97 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've been successfully evading the Student Loans Company for the last two years not informing them of my latest address.

Last month I got a letter from them informing me that they had been given my updated address in Canada by HMRC. I haven't corresponded with HMRC since I left the UK over 8 years ago so this confused me.

I did some digging on when I might have provided my updated address to a UK agency and the only thing that came up was the COVID passenger location form where I provided my real address because it explicitly stated that they will only share this information with health units of the government (lying bxxxxxxx).

I've send multiple Subject Access Requests so I can get some concrete confirmation of this. The SLC one came back already but wasn't much use.

I thought I'd let you guys know if you are abroad and travel to the UK then don't believe the government's promises on how they share this information.

I'm moving again soon so no big deal.

Are you sure that you have not had contact with Canadian tax authorities and they have for official reasons had contact with HMRC ? Tax authorities in different countries would by agreement pass on some data as part of protection measures e.g. money laundering prevention, tax evasion. I think this is a far more likely source of your Canadian address being known to HMRC.

Don't think the address has come from passenger location form. Government (Civil Services) does not process data very quickly and they tend to be strict on ensuring it is only used for the purpose stated.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/02/2022 at 03:38, unclebulgaria67 said:

Are you sure that you have not had contact with Canadian tax authorities and they have for official reasons had contact with HMRC ? Tax authorities in different countries would by agreement pass on some data as part of protection measures e.g. money laundering prevention, tax evasion. I think this is a far more likely source of your Canadian address being known to HMRC.

It could be the CRA but I'm not implicated in anything you've listed there so it would have to be proactive data-sharing which I don't believe the CRA does.

The timing is very weird. I've been at this address for several years but only 2 months after I travel to the UK does my address end up in the SLC database.

Still waiting on a response from HMRC.

For the reasons stated they would pro actively share data. 

I suspect when you moved to Canada you agreed for Government agencies to process your data for all official purposes.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• 4 weeks later...

So looked into this more.

Turns out that countries proactively share data in certain situations. One of which I fall into.

I still have bank accounts in the UK and it appears that this is enough to trigger data sharing between CRA and HMRC. However this data sharing is supposed to be one way towards the government agency that you are paying tax to (two way I assume if I was paying both agencies).

So whilst I still believe they shouldn't be sharing my Canadian address I do have a way to stop this by closing my UK accounts.