• Tweets

• Hi I was being supplied my ovo after unknowingly being swapped from SSE.  My issues began when we had a smart meter fitted and our bills almost doubled overnight - we at the time assumed we were just paying not enough until then and just continued to pay the excess bills each. Month.    I would from time to time contact ovo and get faced with a call centre on South Africa of the most rude agents who would just hang up after hours of wait and I could not even get an acknowledgement of an issue with my meter.  At one point we were not in the property for like 4 months and the bills were coming just as high!  It was at this point I was sure something is not right and ovo only care to send bailiffs and started threatening us with a pay as you go meter despite me taking out a 3.5k loan to pay of my outstanding balance.  Around 1600 each on both gas and electricity.  This is where its gets really bad -  the very same day they sent me out a new bill saying the money paid already was only to cover up until the November previous and because its now Feb we owe another 1k.   By that August this had risen to over 3k and I still couldn't get anyone to even acknowledge a fault let alone fix it.    In despair I tried to swap suppliers and to my surprise octopus accepted us because even tho the debt is owed we are trying deal with.  During our time with them the bill was coming only on my wife's name as I was responsible for other bills and she this one - now that we owe them 3k they have magically started adding my name as well as my wife's to the same debt to apply double pressure and its showing on my experiwn report now with a question mark and 2700 showing in grey -  This was my wife's debt which we dispute we owe yet the have now sent me letter with both our names on from oriel and past due credit debt agencies - is this illegal and how can I get them to take my. Name of this and leave on wife's name as its so unfair they give us a both a defualt for wife's debt which we dispute anyway.    In the end about 3 weeks ago I wrote an email to their ceo and rishi sunak and low and behold for the first time in our history with ovo someone who spoke English contacted us and said she will look into our claim.    I explained to her that we feel our meter is faulty and despite me contacting them using WhatsApp email and phone I still have not got anyone to acknowledge a fault even. And that I dispute I Owe anything as my son was in hospital for 3 months and we stayed with him so house was empty and still. They were sending us super sized bills more than when we started at home.  She promised to investigate and a few days later replied that she is sorry for the poor customer service and offered us £50 compensation - however she also. Mentioned that she's attached statements for us confirming the payment for 3k I made was only up until Nov and in Feb despite me pay 3.5k nearly it's correct for them to bill. Me. Another £900 the very same day and she did not agree our meter was faulty and therfore the debt stands and she will not be calling it bcak from past due credit.  During my time with my new supplier post ovo, octopus I requested tehy check my. Meters because I felt they were faulty and over charging me and I got excellent response asking me for further details which I supplied and I got a. Response bcak within days to say my meter was indeed faulty and octopus have now remotely repaired it.   I then contacted the energy ombudsman and explained my situation how she at ovo tried to fob me off and demand I apy money we don't feel we owe due to faulty equipment we reported but ovo had to process or mechanism to deal with it or lodge complaint even without having to cc their ceo and our pm. And now I feel sick to think both husband and wife will get a 6  year default for debt which have a validity of a questionable nature.    I explained all this to the energy ombudsman and they accepted my case and I explained to them that my new supplier found my fault which ovo refueed to accept - I've uploaded the email from new supplier to ombudsman showing we had a fault.    My. Question is is there anything I can upload in defence of my case to ombudsman before they decide outcome ina few weeks    All advice greatly appreciated not only would I like advice on how to clear this debt but also how I can pursue ovo for compensation and deterrence for the future.  Thansk 
    • Thanks for the reply dubai 50 - if the statute is 10 years it has long passed - if it is 15 years i havea few months left. i shall ignore until it gets serious  An update - - I sent the letter to the bank in Dubai ( I did get delivery confirmation from Royal Mail)   - I have moved to a new address ( this is the address i gave to the bank in dubai)  - IDR are continuing to send Letters to the old address, which leads me to believe they are not in contact with the bank at all. - i have not replied to any correspondence digital or hard as they are non threatening ( as of yet).        
    • Your topic title was altered last June 23 by the owner of this forum in the interests of the forum Anyway well done on your result and concluding your topic, title updated.   Andy   .
    • So what    Why ? Consent Order/ Confidentiality ? This would be be invaluable to followers of your topic.  
    • Even on their map on their website, these parking rules encompass the whole pleasure park - there is no dedicated area for permits and another for free parking as stated. royal leisure park praking area map.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5327 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

I am new to this site and extreamly happy i stumbled across it.

When myself and my partner got home yesterday, we found a letter from a bailiff who had called whilst we was both out at work.

The letter stated that there was a sum of 1181.28 outstanding due to unpaid council tax.

However, the council tax bill we have received is wrong it is for a sole occupant and i am sorry, but unless one of us is invisible, then the council tax bill should be for 2 people.

We have phoned on numerous occassions and wrote to the council informing them of this and nothing happened and well now we have a letter threatening to remove goods from the property.

The bottom of the letter actually states and is highlighted with a yellow highlighter pen...

As i was unable to obtain access to your efffect i must now inform you of my intentions to re-attend at your premises and that i may remove goods in your absense.

Does this mean that the baliff could turn up at any time and break in and basically empty my house of everything, including un-opened wrapped christmas presents????

I know a lot of people say just dont answer the door, but i have some quite gossipy and nosey neighbours and the last thing i want to do, is give them some fuel to gossip about on the streets and this goes without mentioning how stressed and upset my girlfriend is that her prize laptop she got for christmas last year will simply go missing one day.

Regards

Guest MizzPiggy

Just read your post.

However, the council tax bill we have recieved is wrong it is for a sole occupant and i am sorry, but unless one of us is invisible, then the council tax bill should be for 2 people.

We have phoned on numerous occassions and wrote to the council informing them of this and nothing happened and well now we have a letter threatening to remove goods from the property.

If the bill is wrong as in I would assume for one person is less than two, that you have been paying the normal amount due and that part of things is fine?

Or is it that you are waiting for the right information to start payment?

Sorry, is unclear whether there have been payments of any sort or whether they are collecting on another person or directly what the issue is. ? Sorry, if you could be a little clearer it makes it a tad easier.

If it is wrong, as in wrong person, there is no liability to which the responsability lays with the occupier to inform them as you have done.

If one of the people named on there is correct and the monies are owed, then the liability exists for the person named. The issue of the second person not appearing on the document is a seperate issue to which non payment is still that a Bailiff can pursue.

As it is assumed this is a liability order, it is enforceable despite the discrepencies unless, and only unless, you are not the person named on the Bailiff letter.

If you are paying council tax accordingly to date, then for him to remove goods, again unless you are the person that is on the distress warrant or letter, then he cannot take things or force entry, to which if you are dealing with the matter, then you would have grounds for some recourse.

Many people find it hard to work days and come home when offices are closed to deal with the matter as bosses are not easily pleased with time off to deal with things. If you want extra support, drop as a line.

Alison

Alison,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes we was waiting for the correct bill to be issued as all payments come from a joint account, however, this was probably a bad move on our parts and are regretting this now, but we just assumed that if the bill was incorrect it had to be corrected, to ensure that all correct payments were recieved by the council.

My main problem is that the 'enforcement company' is now requesting the 1181.28 to be paid or they will access the premises and remove all goods. This means we have 2 options, we either let them in to tkae everything of value or we empty our accounts and starve over christmas and freeze to death (we are on these silly prepaid meters for energy).

I am really ticked off with myself for letting it get like this and also extreamly furious with the baliffs unwillingness to help or to listen.

I totally understand they have a duty under the warrant issued by the courts, but seriously can they expect at christmas for people to find this kind of money????

I really dont know what to do and am seriously considering selling everything i can get my hands on to pay off the debt.

The most valuable things i have is my DJ Equipment but without this i cannot earn money, but if i dont sell it they will just take it!

Regards

Guest MizzPiggy

Dear DJX,

Honestly, if you contact Rossendales tomorrow and make an arrangement, it will be fine.

If you don't feel you can do this, then please, let us know as we will negotiate for you.

Many people are frightened by the wording and the issue of a Bailiff and the liability order is as we say, purely a liability for the amount owed. The Company has a legal obligation to accept a fair and reasonable payment for the monies outstanding.

Bailiff Companies are in fact, well when we phone, reasonable. There is a duty of care the council hold that employ them that if an agreement is made and stuck to, you probably won't after making the agreement, hear from the Bailiff again or receive letters like you have again, unless you default.

I know it is frightening, but that is the purpose of it, to get you to react and pay. I think they have had their result and in honesty, suggest you phone the Bailiff Company to negotiate in the morning, or message us and we will deal with it for you and negotiate on your behalf with them.

A bailiff is granted powers to seize goods, and despite what many of the things here may say about entry, if you are taking responsability and offering payment, there are options.

I would do it tomorrow, as once you have the agreement, you have peace of mind. Many Bailiffs that collect on council tax are in fact reasonable and they are set with fees that are chargeable. I don't know how else to re assure you, other than encourage you to deal with it tomorrow and I am sure you will be suprised.

Alison

Alison thanks for this offer :) i am kinda cross posting now cause i starting moaning on two threads :)

i took your advice and phoned them this morning and they were unwilling to accept any form of payment plan, they said they want the whole amount by the 8th december or they will gain access to my property and remove goods to the value of the warrant.

I will speak to my partner tonight and will most definatly take you up on your offer of helping.

I cant thank you enough for your help here :).

Typical of those bullies Rosendales :mad:

It's all well and good being told to talk to these people, but in reality the only talking they understand is talking DOWN to you and bullying. PLUS, if you make payments to them, they will take charges for themselves off every payment you make

The first thing you have to realise is that they CANNOT force entry to your home unless they have made peaceable entry beforehand, i.e. you let them in or they got in through an open door or window.

If they haven't been in, they have NO RIGHT to force their way in.

If you go out, make sure all doors and windows are closed and locked, if you are in, look out of a window BEFORE answering the door.

If Rosendales thugs do call, tell them in no uncertain terms to Fupp Off, they WILL eventually hand the account back to the council and you can start to deal with it as you should of in the first place.

You'll remain liable for their charges, only the proper and legal ones though which aren't a lot, but in reality you probably will never be chased for them.

Nil Illigitimus Carborundum

Thanks for this information.

I have no intentions of letting them into my property and am in the process of changing the locks to more secure locks at a cost of about £100, this is how scared my partner is they are going to break in.

We have never had problems like this before and we accept that through our own nieve views and expectations, we have got into this situation.

I am more worried of the fact that if they stand in front of the house at either or both doors (front and back) as soon as we open the door . there foots will be in and they will have obtained access simply through loitering outside.

I have seen all the programmes about bailiffs and phoning the police, dosn't seem to help as they are not allowed to act on civil matters, even if they do barge there ways in.

Regards

Don't waste the money on locks, you don't need to as they have NO RIGHT of forceable entry, and even if they did have, no lock would stop them if they really wanted entry.

Pay the money direct to the council, that will not only show willing, but it will also put the amount in dispute, two good arguements towards getting the council to call off the dogs.

Unfortunately the locks have already been ordered as i dont think my girlfriends heart could cope with anymore nocks on the door, she is very nervous and terrified of these people.

We have tried contacting the council before and the problem is they either dont respond or deny any knowledge of contact, its kind of us against them and the council will always win.

If you go to your local council's website, it will have a section that allows you to pay money to it online. Start paying whatever you can afford (not crippling yourself, be sensible, you need to eat and be warm!) through this, marking it as whatever year you're short on. This will give you a record of payment. Keep doing this as often as you can.

Don't open the door to bailiffs at all. If you must, talk to them from the first floor window. You can leave a letter taped to your door for them stating that the council have accepted the first installments of a payment plan, and they are therefore requested to pass the warrant back to the council. It is against OFT guidelines to attempt to collect payment in full; also, failure to pass on an offer of a payment plan.

Write to your council tax department, by Recorded (signed for) telling them exactly what you told us: that you were unaware that the council had not corrected the incorrect bill, that you were surprised that the council had not informed you sooner, that you acknowledge that you are fully liable for this amount, that you have started paying part of the amount online (include evidence, a bank statement or printout of the payment receipt) and would like to offer £X a month/week for X months/week until the debt is cleared. Include an income/outgoing list to show that it is all you can genuinely afford if you wish. Request that the bailiff's warrant is withdrawn as you would prefer dealing with the council direct, and as the bailiff has used threatening and intimidatory language. Thank them for their help and request any and every response in WRITING.

See how that goes and let us know. Good luck. Just remember - DON'T open the door! :)

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

Unfortunately the locks have already been ordered as i dont think my girlfriends heart could cope with anymore nocks on the door, she is very nervous and terrified of these people.

I'm sorry, but you're letting your girlfriends unfounded fears overide what would be the best course of action.

Cancel the locks, they are not required, they are a waste of money, and are useless anyway. Pay the council instead.

Just sit your girlfriend down and tell her the home truths, she'll eventually come round to realising that this is the best way.

I'm sorry, but you're letting your girlfriends unfounded fears overide what would be the best course of action.

Cancel the locks, they are not required, they are a waste of money, and are useless anyway. Pay the council instead.

Just sit your girlfriend down and tell her the home truths, she'll eventually come round to realising that this is the best way.

I will sit down with her this evening and can make a payment to council first thing on friday morning :).

I will also put a note on the door to the bailiff, can anyone give me advice on how to word this, i dont think the simple **** off would surfice.

Regards

When the payment goes through online, the council have 'accepted' the payment. So something along the lines of, Dear Mr Bailiff, This is to inform you that your client has accepted the first payment in an offered direct payment plan on this debt. We expect the warrant on this debt to be recalled shortly. We are aware of the schedule of fees able to be charged by court-appointed bailiffs and any attempt to overcharge for any services already rendered will be contested vigorously. Thank you for your time.

It may not be official but it may give you a little more time in which to talk to the council and get an installment plan set up.

EDIT: In the meantime, get that letter to the council sent off asap. Can you make a payment at all before Friday? Even of £10 or so? It shows that as soon as you were made aware of the problem, you made an attempt to pay what you could. Shows willing.

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

A couple of things to bear in mind. The bailff can enter any unlocked outbuildings eg a shed. They can also levy on your car so it would be best to park it either in a your garage if you have one or away from the property.

To re-emphasise the points made above, the bailiff cannot force entry unless they have gained peaceful entry first. They can't just stick a foot in the door and you are entitled to take the obvious action if they attempt to do this.

If Rossendales won't be reasonable (and I've never heard of them being so) then your best bet is, as suggested, to start making unilateral payments to the Council and play a waiting game with Rossendales. They will eventually pass the account back to the council. It's quite likely that the council will then either try some other method of debt recovery (some are starting to use bankruptcy) or they will pass it on to the magistrates court for committal proceedings to commence. You need to deal with either of these scenarios very urgently as one could see you bankrupt and the other could put you in prison.

A couple of things to bear in mind. The bailff can enter any unlocked outbuildings eg a shed. They can also levy on your car so it would be best to park it either in a your garage if you have one or away from the property.

To re-emphasise the points made above, the bailiff cannot force entry unless they have gained peaceful entry first. They can't just stick a foot in the door and you are entitled to take the obvious action if they attempt to do this.

If Rossendales won't be reasonable (and I've never heard of them being so) then your best bet is, as suggested, to start making unilateral payments to the Council and play a waiting game with Rossendales. They will eventually pass the account back to the council. It's quite likely that the council will then either try some other method of debt recovery (some are starting to use bankruptcy) or they will pass it on to the magistrates court for committal proceedings to commence. You need to deal with either of these scenarios very urgently as one could see you bankrupt and the other could put you in prison.

So basically if i start making payments to the council on a regular basis, there is still nothing to say that i or my partner wont end up in prison??? If this is the case then i have a 42" LCD tv for sale, i use this for my DJ work as i do karaoke, but i can live without it and i aint letting rossendales get there hands on it either.

Regards

Prison is very unlikely if the Council goes down the committal proceedings route and you are actually making payments at a level you can demonstrate that you can afford. It's really only aimed at the won't pays.

I am more worried about the bankruptcy issue. I can't remember the link but do a search for threads started by seylectric. His partner has just been made bankrupt by Blackpool council in a way that seems to have driven a coach and horses through the law. I don;t know the precise circumstances or whether any payments were being made but I think that this is a new development. Again (and I would stress this) it's very unlikely if you are making payments you can afford.

Which council is it ?

And what area do you live ?

Is the bailiff male or female ?

The reason for the questions are my partner was a bailiff for Rossendales for a number of years, the advice is dont sign anything and dont let em in..

Law Pack & Small Claims Procedures Ordered Via site :) received 26/10/2006 I thank you :)

Claiming contractual @ £1.40per day ;) take your time Mr West

Can't wait to donate my 5%............. :)

Which council is it ?

And what area do you live ?

Is the bailiff male or female ?

The reason for the questions are my partner was a bailiff for Rossendales for a number of years, the advice is dont sign anything and dont let em in..

Its warrington borough council and i live in warrington. The bailiff is female, but i cant work her name out cause her signature is so illegable.

I have absolutely no problems with bailiffs i think the job they do helps the economy and must be hard, what i do have a problem with is people thinking they owe you and talking and treating you like a peice of dirt and you dare not shout back at them because it just winds them up and they have the power, or so they think :)

These People are silly, i would be amazed if they used there real names to be honest, but if they do, its very easy to find out someones resedential address, specially when your an acomplished web developer ;-) i bet they wouldnt like someone parked outside there house harrassing them.

its very easy to find out someones resedential address, specially when your an acomplished web developer i bet they wouldnt like someone parked outside there house harrassing them

Naughty Naughty, be careful what you write :D

e.g. I know a person who squirted vinegar through his letterbox and soaked the bailliff all arround the crutch area, the guy must have stank stupid for quite a while after, and his car probably still whiffs a bit..... the thought of it makes me split my sides with laughter, but I wouldn't advise anyone to do it :D

Neither would this website.

Nahhhh i wouldnt do anything like that, i haven't got the bottle to be put away in prison, but i like the vinegar thing. I will keep a bottle of vinegar near me door for future reference, or even better :) i have a bottle of amonia in the shed that was used for weed killing, now that stuff absolutely reeks.

Its warrington borough council and i live in warrington. The bailiff is female, but i cant work her name out cause her signature is so illegable.

I have absolutely no problems with bailiffs i think the job they do helps the economy and must be hard, what i do have a problem with is people thinking they owe you and talking and treating you like a peice of dirt and you dare not shout back at them because it just winds them up and they have the power, or so they think :)

These People are silly, i would be amazed if they used there real names to be honest, but if they do, its very easy to find out someones resedential address, specially when your an acomplished web developer ;-) i bet they wouldnt like someone parked outside there house harrassing them.

Be assured they DO use their proper names !

Law Pack & Small Claims Procedures Ordered Via site :) received 26/10/2006 I thank you :)

Claiming contractual @ £1.40per day ;) take your time Mr West

Can't wait to donate my 5%............. :)

• 1 year later...

hi every one dont know whether this post is still running but my opartner received a visit from them today asking for £640 in two weeks.

Neither of us can afford this and they will not take repayments we really do not know what to do!!

Please help anyone?