style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5332 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had Rossendales knocking on my door for an unpaid Council Tax Bill from a property I'd lived in 5 years ago.

I had genuinely overlooked the final amount and dealt with the Council to get the amount correct, but they kept pushing me towards Rossendale for payment plans. I wrote to the council and suggested £30 a month payment for 11 month and the £18-odd pound balance in month 12. This was from advice from another site, but they said make it over 2 or 3 years if the amount was a lot. I can cover £30/month so I made it 12 months and sent a cheque for the first amount with the proposal. They cashed the cheque. I sent the next 2 cheques on the dot (which got cashed), but kept getting letters from Rossendales. After I sent the 3rd cheque I finally got a response from the council saying that they accepted my proposal (probably due to the fact that after accepting and cashing 3 cheques that a court may see that as accepting the offer anyway) and I've not heard from Rossendales since.

If they do turn up again I've got a photocopy of the acceptance letter near the front door and I'll hand it to them and ask them to not let the gate hit them on their way back out ;-)

• 1 month later...

I have been pyshically threatened by bailiffs acting for ROSSENDALES on a number of occasions. They actually tried to force their way through my door and punch me in the face as I was entering my flat. They have threatened me with the illegal use of a locksmith. They cannot attend my property with a locksmith even with the police as they have never ever ever set foot inside my property and they never will. If they attend my property even with a locksmith and the police being present I can still ring the police and have them arrested for illegal tresspassing, breaking and entering and criminal damage I think? Is that right? Also they have absolutely no right what so ever to attempt to break into my home unless they have previously been allowed into my home. That is correct yes? The only reason they are attempting to illegally enter my property in this manner is to try to gain an illegal levy of my propertys contents? Am I correct? They are trying to gain the illegal right to force entry into my property to try to force through other actions I think? I would think they are also mis representing their powers here? ROSSENDALES have threatened to camp outside my door and force their way into my home. They have threatened to arrest me which they have absolutely no powers what so ever to do. They have threatened to take my landlords furniture even though my flat is rented fully furnished and they can't take this at all. They have threatened to kidnap my cat and hold him to ransom to try to make me pay them. This is laughable. They simply cannot take or harm any of my pets or hold them to ransom. They have threatened my landlord. They have threatened to take him to court which they can't do as I am his tenant. He has been threatened to pay this debt which he doesn't owe. I cannot afford to make full council tax payments each month so I need to get them to accept less payments. ROSSENDALES have also threatened to enter my home via windows securely locked with locks. I need to put a stop to this thugs now. HELP. Can I get an order of protection from a court against them?

I also tried to say b4 but half my thread disappeared that I simply cannot afford to make full payments on my council tax each month. I have explained this to the council numerous times who say but you get paid over a £110 pound a week. A grand total of £400 and odd a month. My rent costs £340 a month which is over half my income. I get a tiny pathectic amount of housing benefits each month which has been incorrectly calculated. The council admits I maybe getting paid the wrong amount of housing benefits per month but refude to pay me more. They have consistently refused to accept lower payments from insisting I continue to run up arrears or inccur debts with other bills through neglecting to pay them which I simply cannot do. It is ridiculous to suggest I do so and to say I have huge amounts of money which I don't have. I work part time for Asda and my income is low. I am a single person who lives alone and is low waged. I simply cannot afford this. No court or person can force me to pay money I do not have off this outstanding bill per year. I simply cannot afford to prioritise one bill over another. I pay my tv license water and council tax together on payment cards. I am often behind on these bills due to poverty. Advise please.

Also I must be able to get Rossendales stopped somehow?

I have been pyshically threatened by bailiffs acting for ROSSENDALES on a number of occasions. They actually tried to force their way through my door and punch me in the face as I was entering my flat.

That is assault - report it to the local Police force.

They have threatened me with the illegal use of a locksmith. They cannot attend my property with a locksmith even with the police as they have never ever ever set foot inside my property and they never will. If they attend my property even with a locksmith and the police being present I can still ring the police and have them arrested for illegal tresspassing, breaking and entering and criminal damage I think? Is that right?

The police would only get involved if there is a potential for a breach of the peace. I do not think a baliff would be stupid enough to lie to get a police assistance when they have no right of entry to your property (I could be wrong tho as I've heard of som really dumb baliffs!!!)

Also they have absolutely no right what so ever to attempt to break into my home unless they have previously been allowed into my home. That is correct yes?

Yes, they can make peaceful entry only and once they have made peaceful entry they can return at any time and force entry if they need to. However, they can can sneaky and ask to use your phone, or toilet. Don't be fooled as that constitutes a peaceful entry.

ROSSENDALES have threatened to camp outside my door and force their way into my home.

After a "reasonable time" after asking them to leave the property they are commiting trespass. Call the police if this occurs...... however I'm not sure if this only applies to the landlord as it's his property or if you as a tenant have that right too - I'd be calling the police either way.

They have threatened to arrest me which they have absolutely no powers what so ever to do.

They have the same powers of arrest as Joe Public, ie a citizens arrest and the grounds for a citizens arrest are shaky at best. Just laugh at them.

They have threatened to kidnap my cat and hold him to ransom to try to make me pay them. This is laughable. They simply cannot take or harm any of my pets or hold them to ransom.

Kidnap or threats of kidnap is a serious commonlaw offence.... not sure it applies to pets, so in that case as the pets is your property it becomes simply theft. It could be argued my they that they have simply levied the animal though

They have threatened my landlord.

Despending on what was said and the context that also could be assault.

They have threatened to take him to court which they can't do as I am his tenant. He has been threatened to pay this debt which he doesn't owe.

Good luck to them with that one

I cannot afford to make full council tax payments each month so I need to get them to accept less payments.

You need to contact the Council involved and get some sort of payment plan moving asap. Do not deal with Rossendales. Work out how much you can realistically pay and offer the council this. I have read (in the case of outstanding arrears) that your should look to pay them back over 12-24 months as you do not want to comprise your current payments.

Make it very clear that you are not refusing to pay, but are asking for help and time to pay. Court action with the aim of getting you into prison can only be taken if you refuse to pay - so never refuse to pay.

ROSSENDALES have also threatened to enter my home via windows securely locked with locks.

I'm fairly sure that they will not force entry unless they have the paperwork to cover themselves in case the police get called. If they can't prove that they have entered previously they probably wont try (But again I've heard of some dumb Balliffs)

Balliffs use any tactic they can to basically scare the cash out of you. They will often threaten action that they can not take and outcomes that are not possible. You seem to know the way things are already so do not let them intimidate you. Stand your ground and be firm with them and get things sorted with the Council directly and cut them out of the loop.

EDIT: I have just read your followup post. It sound like you need to seek some proper financial guidenace for your situation. If things carry on the way they are then you could start a downwards spiral where there are many balliffs knocking on the door. Have a read through the site and get an idea of who you can speak to about your situation

Edited by PeteT
Hadn't read the follow up post.

I would certainly head down to the council, taking wage slips for the last 6 months and show them your income. Say you need your housing benefit/council tax benefit recalculated as you don't have enough to live on. Take bills too. If necessary fill out another claim form and get a receipt to say you've handed it in, with copies of wage slips.

Don't leave until they have dealt with your complaint. If they say they wont because its in the hands of baliff, speak to someone higher.

We have a council who say they don't receive documents, even when they have returned them to us recorded delivery! Its not until I tell them, they then look harder...and all of a sudden they find them, filed under someone else.

I asked my landlord today. He says it is 100% illegal for a bailiff to threaten me with the illegal use of a locksmith to force entry into my property. He took all details and immediately made a complaint directly to the council. He is complaining also about the bailiff threats to remove his property and belongings. He also said it is illegal for a bailiff to psyhically harm me. He was absolutely disgusted by this action. He is taking action on my behalf. He seems to have more rights than I do. I don't understand this?>Despending on what was said and the context that also could be assaultThe police would only get involved if there is a potential for a breach of the peace. I do not think a baliff would be stupid enough to lie to get a police assistance when they have no right of entry to your property (I could be wrong tho as I've heard of som really dumb baliffs!!!)

way.

>Kidnap or threats of kidnap is a serious commonlaw offence.... not sure it applies to pets, so in that case as the pets is your property it becomes simply theft. It could be argued my they that they have simply levied the animal though

This is what I tried to post before and most of it disappeared, hope this turns up and makes more sense. Trying to figure out this siteI asked my landlord today. He says it is 100% illegal for a bailiff to threaten me with the illegal use of a locksmith to force entry into my property. He took all details and immediately made a complaint directly to the council. He is complaining also about the bailiff threats to remove his property and belongings. He also said it is illegal for a bailiff to psyhically harm me. He was absolutely disgusted by this action. He is taking action on my behalf. He seems to have more rights than I do. I don't understand this? I have offered to make payments of £20 a month off this bill. My total council tax per month is £36 with discount. I simply cannot afford that on my limited means. I have offered to pay £5 a month off last years arrears. They have accepted this. Why then are they still harressing me for a bill I simply cannot afford to pay. I don't understand this. If one makes an effort to pay and tries to contribute something why should you be harressed to pay money you simply do not have and can never afford to pay? I am low waged and earn a low income. I often cannot afford to pay my tv license and water as well as the council tax. My rent, and gas and eletric come directly out of my bank as they are important bills. I do not understand this site. Someone direct me to the debts bit please? I see no way out of this as I simply will never be able to afford my council tax. To pay my council tax I would have to refuse to pay my water or eletric bills. I can't do this. I must stop this council tax situation from continuing year to year. Please help They were threatening to enter via open windows which were securely locked. the security locks on the windows are clearly visible. As far as I am aware I can have them arrested for breaking and entering. I think I would have to call 999 and say I have an intruder breaking into my home and not mention they are bailiffs to get the cops out. Otherwise they might try to claim it is a civil matter.

I'm fairly sure that they will not force entry unless they have the paperwork to cover themselves in case the police get called. If they can't prove that they have entered previously they probably wont try (But again I've heard of some dumb Balliffs)

Yes I said earlier I need advice on this. Thank you very much everyone.EDIT: I have just read your followup post. It sound like you need to seek some proper financial guidenace for your situation. If things carry on the way they are then you could start a downwards spiral where there are many balliffs knocking on the door. Have a read through the site and get an idea of who you can speak to about your situation

• 7 months later...

hi i had this problem in september i owed 1700 to the council we got behind when my partner lost his job and his 2 children had just moved in with us so we was skint. Rossendales wanted 2050 pounds and 47 pence from us they wanted us to pay 50pw but i said we could not afford this but they said they could not except any lower due to council wanting the money repaid within 16 weeks. So we ended up falling behind so i ended up with a bloke coming round to say he wanted the money in full i told him i have not got that amount of money so he said he would be taking everything out of my house including plates knifes and forks carpet and curtains. He said if he did not get the money we owed at auction (which he wouldnt have because our furniture is all old hand me downs) That me n my partner would go to jail and i said well they wouldnt be able to do that because we have children and that we wasnt refusing to pay we just could not pay it in full he said no u will both go to prison and your children will get taken in to care unfortuntlay we both got scared and my mum offered to get a credit card out ant pay him the money. I agreed to this because he intimidated me by telling me what he would take n the kids being taken off us n prison wish i had found this site before would i be able to do anything about him telling me these lies or was he within his rights? I got charged 110 for the van coming but he didnt end up taking anything would i be able to claim that back?:-(

A bailiff cannot decide if you will get sent to prision or if your kids will be took off you. This is yet more of these out rageous claims Rossendales seem to make. They cannot remove everything within your home. They must leave you with a reasonable amount of furnishings for you to continue to live with. Rossendales threatened to take my cat to pay my council tax bill. How thick must this bailiff be? A court wouldn't accept the sale of a cat to pay council tax arrears as they simply wouldn't get enough money anyway from your typical moggy. The threats the bailiff made to you are illegal. I think it is time that this country got rid of Labour because that goverment continues to accpet behaviour like this from bailiffs and thinks it is accpetable to allow councils to threat, harress and cause distress to tax paying citizens who work hard while those on the dole get their council tax paid in full each year. Gateshead council have forced me into going on to the sick from work long term to get my council tax paid for. The stress of their constant harressment for money I do not have has made me very ill with nerves, anxiety and depression. I am now unable to work and Gateshead council are still harressing me for arrears. I told them to f**k off. They are not getting any repayments from me. On my current budget of sick pay I can't afford. Their continuing harresment of me is making me more ill

Hi, i have 3 accounts with rossendales,its very easy to deal with them:i removed anything of great value,i invited them in to my house and said take what you want but i dont have the money to pay you,they then asked me if i could afford monthly payments so i agreed,in the meantime dukes bailifs turned up for some old council tax and threatend to take stuff,so i explianed about rossendales now having a walk in possesion and they said i dont care we will take everything,i phoned rossendales and told them,they got straight on to dukes and the battle began,dukes have returned my papers to the council we now pay that to the council and we pay rossendales 65.00 per month ,job done.

I appreciate your advice but I can't deal with Rossendales. I simply do not have a penny to pay them. I cannot pay off any arrears. I just do not have the income. The council can harress me til the year dot for arrears and I still will not be able to afford to pay it. I just don't know what to do. If I ignore other bills to pay council tax I will end up in a situation where I am getting taken to court every 5 minutes by the gas, electric, water and tv licensing companies because I owe them money to. That is not an accpetable situation to be in. It means I would be continually getting harrressed for money that I do not have all the time. That is what is making me so ill in the first place. I have no way to stop it either. I have tried offering the council a repayment offer but they won't accept it. This is beyond a joke how they treat over a council tax. I only work part time. I am lowed waged. I live alone. My means are very limited. I don't have alot. I struggle to be able to afford everything. I very often can't afford to pay my bills so how can I afford to pay council tax? The stress of this constantly is making me very ill

I will add I am making payments and I am struggling to make small arrears repayments. The council are continuing to demand higher repayments. I can't do that. I have no more money to pay them. I think they are trying to take me to court. As long as I am trying to pay something to the council the court won't be sympathetic to the council I hope. As for Rossendales I won't deal with them at all. You have to be very wary of bailiffs and their charges. You also have to watch them for claims they make about things they can't do

• 7 months later...