Changed windscreen by insurer damaged

MOSS 41
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 757 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi, not sure if right group heading. My insurer was hastings so outsourced windscreen change to national windscreens, who it appears further subbed out to Collision Repair Group-

faulty windscreen, deception, cant sell car as wanted to in dec last year, so now a drop in value also

Chronology

5 oct  21 changed screen after stone chip.

noticed some water in my car footwells over next two week, took videos , two inches worth had built up had to be special vacumed out and car stank was damp for weeks after the valet

because was new windscreen locator pin, trapped and bent by incorrect fitting letting water go down inside of screen behind dash to floor.

16th oct same engineer came and refitted same windscreen by snapping off locator pin (admitted by him), but it whistled loudly from that point on, sent in videos

Called them back in November, another engineer came said he was master fitter and it will be perfect when hes done, found holes in seals and incorrect fitting of screen, refitted same screen again

it still whistled  (videos of noise and complaints constantly sent to company)

engineer 3 and fourth visit, in jan 2022 didnt remove screen just put extra glue at bottom, which did nothing, but telling me he identified more holes etc- this is the interesting part, he goes out of his way to point our some black spray marks ( my car is brand new 70 plate and valeted one week before) on top corner of my bonnet, i said ive not see before but 'he wanted to make sure i didnt think he did it' 

car still whistles, further videos sent to company, asking why they are not changing the screen i know is damaged, they refuse.

Get a phone call after last engineer  left from company, saying engineer reported back, nothing wrong with your screen, he doesnt know why he was sent, they will not attend my property again- i said that is not the conversation we just had that morning! what was person on phone name etc can i speak to manager- he refused to give me this information

ultimately manager rang back from company 200 miles from me , starting conversation with, 'hi, i know you and where you live, ive just been googling you etc, and a way to intimidate me!

i asked how , 200 miles away social media private etc, he wouldnt answer.

at this point ive now just escalated to Hastings the insurer to deal with.

But this is the interesting part, not only is my windscreen faulty the black spray on car bonnet requires a respray, and has been identified by local screen fitter as windscreen glue, thats eaten into paint and will need to be resprayed- 

so i went to my ring cameras and cctv and lo and behold you can see the engineer on that day, flick a spatula of glue on the exact corner, vigorously try to clean it off over proceeding 20 minutes, and then lie to me on camera that he didnt do it- ive forwarded this to insurer.

im at a loss here, now what to do , ive told collision repair to not contact me again as going through insurer, and they lie and intimidate me only, caught on recorded calls and cctv.

but i cant sell my car, none of this is my fault, dont want a claim lodged against me for a windscreen change gone wrong, what legal redress do i have here apart from going to ombudsman

sorry for long post

so ive escalated and raised complaint to hastings 

It seems to me that Hastings is responsible and you should concentrate your efforts there.

They commissioned the work in the first place and I think they are responsible for the quality of it.

Well done on having the video. Have you got any independent assessments of the quality of the work and the cost of addressing all of the defects in the damage?
I think this would be the best place to start.

You could think about making a complaint to the FOS but frankly I think it will drag on and you are not certain of the outcome which is quite likely simply to be some unsatisfactory compromise.

What you actually want to happen? I suppose you want everything made good or would you be happy simply with some compensation for loss of value?

Well I think that you will need to start off getting the assessments and quotations which I referred to above.

When you are dealing with the insurance, you will find it very tough but ultimately they are liable.

Get the assessments and then we can decide where to go from there .

It might be an idea to put the insurers on notice that you are holding them liable and that you are proceeding to get estimates

The Insurers are liable, so you should be contacting their claims manager to ask for their help, as you are wanting to avoid issuing a court claim against them for the loss you have suffered.  

Agree that you need to get the assessments done, so you have details of the work required and cost.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks for responses - insurer said splitting complaint into two halves 

1) to sort windscreen and paintwork (I said I need new one by someone else - not them people

2) my treatment by this firm 

how long do I give them , in my mind , just book me in elsewhere and get it Sorted ie what am I waiting for ?

where would I go for independent inspection ? (Another windscreen Co) Because surely this is going to cost a lot of money I shouldn’t have to pay for someone to take off and inspect windscreen , paintwork easy enough to get report on 

How long do I give them to book me in elsewhere for screen and paintwork before getting independent inspection ?

Find a local garage that could do the work, that you are happy with and get them to provide a written quote. When they provide the quote, it should state what issues they have found and what is required to fix the issues.

Or you let the Insurers find a different authorised garage in your area and let them fix the problems.

If you let the Insurers try to resolve, they may be able to get you a courtesy car to use while the car is in a garage.

There are standalone inspection services by AA or RAC, but at a cost. So most would go to a reputable garage that does the work to get a quote/assessment.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Ok, will look into that thanks 

I’ve put the insurers on notice too 

what I find so frustrating is fighting so hard , I’ve just sent my ring camera conversation of them talking to me at door admitting screen is damaged by the snapping off of locator pins , followed by , this is standard practice by us fitters , locator pins aren’t necessary -

so why have them then / damage is damage , according to my research they are essential for positioning and even a 1mm drop in screen can result in gaps and whistling 

it’s like banging your head against a brick wall 

It's a good thing that you have put your insurer on noticed. Have you had any response?

I think that you should tell your insurer that you are giving them a further single opportunity to arrange to have the entire problem addressed but they should be aware that the quality of the work which is produced as a result of any action they take will be carefully scrutinised.
Tell them that in the alternative, you will start making your own arrangements which will include getting an independent inspection and that any fees relating to this will be added to the final bill.
You certainly want to make sure that the insurance company are informed of every step that you take and given advance notice of every expense you are likely to incur.

At the end of the day, although these people are insurers, it's just another straightforward small claim in the County Court as far as you're concerned and you will probably find that once they realise that they don't have control of the situation any more, that they are likely to put their hands up although you may will have to issue the claim. 

To add a couple of points –

First of all, you don't need to skimp on quality. It is the insurer that is responsible and it is the insurer who will pay. If you start trying to get the very cheapest deal then the only people who win are the insurer.
Comparative quotes from reputable repairers is what you want.

Secondly, don't go ahead and simply make arrangements on your own without involving the insurer.
The last thing you want is to have a repair carried out which is then unsatisfactory and you then find that the insurer attempts to distance themselves by saying that you made the arrangements, the contract is with you and it has nothing to do with them.

Still no response from insurers -

I’ve emailed , asking why is no one contacting me to organise screen repair / replacement and get car booked in for paintwork ? 

nothing. -

out of interest i did swing by a car bodywork place - who again confirmed , This primer from windscreen fitters is flicked on my car bonnet and would be happy to put in a letter headed report if required - 

but I need to get the ball rolling , and still no 

communication from insurers ,I can’t afford to sit around for 8 weeks to escalate to ombudsman - unable to sell my car while it continues  to

devalue 

• 2 weeks later...

still no response- im just being ignored

car still damaged in driveway, i dont have the money to pay privately to change windscreen and get a respray and then claim back through the courts 

how do i pressure them to fix my car they damaged through their authorised installer

ive sent all the evidence and cctv - its really a slam dunk, there can be no argument -i dont know what the hold up is.

The holdup is that they don't take you seriously .

Can you remind me as to how many independent quotations you have received?

not done it yet, they said in call two weeks ago, they will get another company to come and fix new screen etc

so ive waited then radio silence , 

emailing and calling, no response

now rang again this morning and she will call me back after 'training'

Start taking control. Do it yourself .

This is why they are not taking you seriously

Get the independent estimates and then come back here

Don't stint on quality. You're looking for a quality job and not a cheapo job

Good. Don't get any work done without letting them know first .

Check back here before you do anything

still awaiting paint quote, should come through today

they returned my call, and refused to agree to fix my car, as they had 8 weeks to investigate (4 weeks in already)

i said , investigation and complaint is almost irrelevant, you have damaged my car and need to fix it now

ive sent reports and CCTV of damage being done and cctv of agents admitting its a damaged screen in my car- so you cannot refute that your agents caused the damage no matter how long you investigate

so still cant sell car and dropped another 2k in value, i did ask them where i send my letter of claim, and now they seem to have transferred to another senior advisor 

Don't acquiece to their time scales .

Keep control.

Independent company windscreen fitter been, is preparing quote to remove, find installation fault , and also quote for new windscreen if this one cant be used- he also saw and has pointed out , the inside headline on my car has black glue on it and has been cut on the other side too (ive taken photos of this ) and will need a new headliner too!

so once i have two quotes/reports i plan to send to insurer.

Do i say this must be fixed within xx amount of days ie 14

or i shall authorise the work myself and court claim

bonnet respray £xxxx

new headliner £xxxxx

windscreen repair /replacement £xxxxxx 

diminuition in value £6000 as couldnt sell in dec when took delivery of new car (if this can be claimed )

Given the fact that you have been trying to contact them and they have been ignoring you, I think your next step is to provide them with the quotations as part of a letter of claim giving them 14 days – and as you are suggesting, informing them that you will go ahead with the repairs and sue for reimbursement.

Post a draft of your letter here before you send it off.

From what I understand from you, you have given them ample opportunity and they stopped responding. Correct?

they wont answer my question about getting car fixed, they just say, we have to do an investigation and we are allowed 8 weeks to answer -to see if we have to fix it at all