Working Tax Credit overpayment from 2012 & 2015

Sparkl3
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 767 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

Last week I received a letter from HMRC stating I owed them £2853 for working tax credits debt. £1600 of it was from 2012 and the rest was from 2015. They were sending it to DWP for recovery. 

In the breakdown for this, the 2015 debt was broken down into 2 payments; one of over £740 on 5th April 2015 and £513 on the 6th April 2015. I do not have any paperwork from any of this, but I did just check my bank statement and I received £277 from working tax credits for the entirety of April 2015, so I am gobsmacked at how they have come to this amount. 

Today I received a letter from DWP and have set up a payment plan to prevent them from doing an attachment of earnings.

My question is - can I still challenge the debt if I am paying it back or is that an ‘admission’ as such? I received the first letter from HMRC on Monday, so it has taken only a few days for DWP to also send me correspondence and I was worried. I am looking into the best way to do this, however didn’t want to ignore the DWP letter. 

I’m just after some advice; if I owe the debt then I will pay it, I just cannot see how I should pay a debt of over £1200 which they claim I received over 2 days in April, when my bank statement says otherwise.

Many thanks for your time in reading this and I appreciate any responses 

Send them a SAR, they have thirty days in which to supply you with the information.

WWW.GOV.UK

You have the right to get a copy of the information that is held about you. This is called the 'right of access'.

This will drag up all of the information they have regarding you and your dealings with them.

How did you set up the repayment plan? Not over the phone?

You MUST get everything in writing when dealing with the DWP, you need a paper trail of evidence, things get lost and misheard all too frequently with the DWP.

Check all of your records and files, emails, letters etc. 

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

should be one on their own website

go to it and search there for SAR too.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

goto the HMRC website 

in their search box 

type SAR.

they have thrir own SAR to use.

they must PROVE they have the DATA you owe this money not just a 'note' from an operator in your file

if you look at other HMRC threads here already you will see that period for assessment was farmed out to external privately managed companies working for HMRC doing their data work.

many of these firms simply went through data and left a note saying owes £XXXX for period of date<>date, but there is NO ACTUAL DATA to prove this.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...