The gorgeous one v Halifax

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6316 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I sent my subject access request on 16th September. received a few letters stating my cheque wasn't valid etc but received the statements anyway, a massive bundle of them.

I prepared all the charges with a few queries on the website and made my first request for payment on 15th November, asking for £2193.00 in charges. I claimed for all the charges which stated charges as notified.

My LBA was sent 29.11.06 although I didn't fully understand that I should have included the interest charges.

We received a lovely letter on 5th December offering £1,686 as a gesture of goodwill which also threatened to close the account if we did not run it satisfactorily in future. Very tempting to accept as we are skint and christmas is almost upon us however today I filled in a Monyclaim online and also calculated the charges which now brings the total to £2488.44 which includes the interest and £120.00 court costs. It is really scary but I felt I should share my tale with you and also share what I have learnt.

1. Spend the time with a ruler and highlighter

2. Get to learn how to use a spreadsheet I used Excel and have learnt how to add up and today how to calculate interest.

3. Include this interest when you send the LBA as it will save you frantically trying to sort it out at the last minute and sending a letter with these charges at the last minute. I have included them with the letter declining the initial offer.

4. Bookmark pages that are interesting as you may never find them again.

5. Keep everything together in its own wallet or file so you don't lose them.

6. Spend time doing the letters all in one go with the correct information and appropriate dates and put them in envelpoes so if you are busy or stressed out with it all you can just stick a stamp on it and post it so you don't miss the deadlines.

7. One claim at a time I had 3 but have had to decide to tackle one at a time as it also costs £120.00 for each claim they can't be lumped together.

Sorry to ramble but I think I have learnt along the way and although I am no expert and haven't yet been paid out felt I should share what I have learnt

jill

Good Luck Jill, It shouldn't be long now before you get paid.

One thing that confused me was the interest in that I used the complex spreadsheet which worked out the amount of interest incurred as a result of being overdrawn. However, when you make your claim you no longer use this figure but the statutory 8% interest which in my case was a little higher. I don't think this was very explained on the site.

regards, David

I had posted on the site when I was totting up my charges and was told not to include the overdraft interest charges however have since read that they should have been charged. Still not sure but hopefully it will go through. I was impressed that I had learnt how to calculate the 8% interest. Should I have claimed more or less. Not worried if I have claimed less as I will consider it a lesson learnt but would worry if i claimed too much as it would mean Halifax had reason to contest it. Oh my God Im stressed again

I included the interest in my court claim but Halifax said they would contest that part of the claim. They told me I could only claim one or the other. Now whilst I don't trust them I decided to accept what they said to avoid dragging out the claim till after Christmas but I would be a little annoyed if I found I could have claimed this figure after all! The spreadsheet seems to suggest that it can be claimed.

Confused David !!