Single Justice Procedure notice - statement of outgoings and assets

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 784 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was caught speeding and I intend to appear in court to plead guilty.

The lengthy forms ask for a statement of monthly outgoings and assets.  

All very vague and a small blank box to fill in details.

My wife owns her own car and pays for different expenses, do I have to include her share of house, cars and outgoings?

How specific do I have to be?

thanks

Edited by dx100uk
formatting

The court is not too interested in outgoings (unless they are exceptional). They will base your fine simply on your net weekly income. Just out of interest, why are you opting to appear in court if you intend to plead guilty? You can allow the Single Justice to deal with it in your absence.

You can do that when responding to your SJPN. Sentencing for speeding is very prescriptive and not much you will say will substantially influence the outcome. Unless you are facing a ban (either because of the speed involved with this individual offence or through "totting up") you are unlikely to influence the magistrates. Still, your choice. Tell me the speed and the limit and I'll give you my view of the sentence.

75mph 40mph speed limit

Motorway like dual carriage way. No houses schools pedestrians etc 

crash barriers both sides.

I “ kicked down” coming off a roundabout and I was (embarrassingly) showing off my car to a friend so it was a burst to 75mph and then foot off.

I realise the law is the law and I expect to be punished.

I have a clean licence.

Thank you for your counsel.

75mph 40mph speed limit

That being the case, the Single Justice is unlikely to sentence you anyway. That speed is well into ban territory with a recommended sentence of a ban of up to 56 days or six points. That band of seriousness begins at 66mph so you can see how far into that you are. I would be surprised if you avoided a ban and possibly 14-28 days is likely. 

In your position I would ask for the matter to be dealt with by the SJ. They will not ban you in your absence but there is a chance you may be dealt with by way of points. If a ban is considered appropriate your case will be adjourned for a full hearing which you will be invited to attend. Then you can attend court as you plan to now anyway. In short, the SJ will not ban you but might be minded to give you six points, so you've nothing to lose.

As well as that you will pay a fine of a week's net income (which includes a discount for a guilty plea), a "Victim Surcharge" of 10% of the fine (minimum £34) and £85 costs.

• Like 1