• Tweets

• Flight data reportedly indicates someone in the cockpit made the China Eastern Airlines jet crash.View the full article
    • The US streaming giant is forced to lay off staff to minimise cost of viewers quitting the service.View the full article
    • Hi Dave2019   That response to your councillor is short and direct so lets see how your councillor will act with Platform.   I think you have noticed that Platform are not telling the correct facts to news article/MP/Councillor which is absolutely typical of these Housing Association to always give there version of events to make them look as if they have done everything by the book to make them look good we haven't done anything wrong.   This is when you challenge them as you have done and throw there own Customer Community Engagement Strategy in there face and you keep doing this with what I have pointed out in post#67 (as a reference).   The more you do this the more Platform are not going to like it as it impacts their own Customer Care Policy, Complaints Policy and that specific Customer Engagement Strategy as these look more like just a paper exercise to make them look good but putting them into practice they are not just failing but are in fact Breaching those Policies.            
    • Ok! I think it's about there, I've added those final points. Thanks again for looking this over!   Px CLAIMANT
 ERUDIO STUDENT LOANS LIMITED – AND – DEFENDANT XXXX WITNESS STATEMENT OF XXXX I, xxxx of xxxx, being the Defendant in this case will state as follows;   1. The Witness – xxxx states in point 3 that:   “It is noted that the Defendant does not dispute entering into a credit agreement with the Claimant.”   This in not true. I have never entered nor admitted to entering into an agreement with the claimant.   2. The default notice mentioned in point 6 was issued on 26/04/2017 and served 4 years, 3 months and 27 days after the last written acknowledgment of the debt on 30/12/2012 by myself. Thus, the cause of action delayed by 4 years 3 months and 27 days and the Limitations period prolonged to 10 years, 11 months, 16 days. This, in effect, allows the creditor to stop time running and the creditor having effective control of when a limitation period begins or even starts to run.   3. In point 5 xxxx states I was issued with A Notice of Assignment on 22/11/2013. In point 6 he states that a Default Notice was sent to me on 04/03/2014. In point 7 he states I was sent a Termination Notice on 26/04/2017. In point 8 the legal proceedings and transference to Drydens solicitors took place without my knowledge.   I received none of these notices or assignment. It has now come to light that they were all sent to an address I had not resided at since 2001. The Student Loan Company was aware of my current address at the time that the alleged documents were sent.   I have always kept the Student Loan Company informed of my current address.   4. In point 18 the Claimant claims the Termination Notice issued on the 26/04/2017 was the cause of action, this is patently untrue - the termination notice does not determine the Statute of Limitations date.   Pursuing a debt after a 6 years is clear breach of OFT guidelines and CPUT.   5. Addressing points 21,22 and 23 - the claimant contends its unfair to allow a set aside 16 months after a default judgement, yet failed to issue a default notice within the 6 year limitation period therefore breaching the rules of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 section 87/88.   6. I the defendant, contend that the Claimant's claim so issued is a claim in contract and
is STATUTE BARRED pursuant to the provisions of section 5 of the Limitation Act 1980. 
If, which is denied, the claimant contends that the Defendant is in breach of the alleged contract, in excess of 6 years have elapsed since the date on which any cause of action for breach accrued for the benefit of the Claimant.   7. The Claimant's claim to be entitled to payment of £2489.03 or any other sum, or relief of any kind is denied. 
   8. The defendant’s costs in dealing with the claimants default judgement and their set aside application to be paid by the claimant within 28 days.   (a separate costs sheet is attached).   Statement of Truth   I believe that the facts stated in this witness statement are true. I understand that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in its truth.   Signed: xxxx Dated: 17/05/2022   Costs Sheet Cost of N244 application form: £255.00      
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• Recommended Topics

The Training Room - Unethical but Legal?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 107 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In 2019 I enrolled with The Training Room for a software development course which I fully intended to complete. I suffer from MDD, Anxiety and ADHD and I was concerned that this would affect my course in some way, this is information that I gave over the phone to the person selling me the course. 

My mental health suffered when I discovered that the course was nothing more than large blocks of text and a “tutor” who could only answer questions about the blocks of text.  This was extremely difficult for my ADHD, but I really wanted to obtain the qualifications- so I requested information regarding extending my course from The Training Room, to which I received no response. 

I didn’t pursue it because I had a job, was making the payments and things were going well. Then, the pandemic struck and I lost my job and was refused furlough because I had started after the government cut off date. My mental state suffered further along with my financial state, and even though I managed to get onto Universal Credit, I was struggling.

I rang The Training Room and eventually I was told it would cost an initial £200 and then £15 per month until I finished the course. As time went on, my mental health slowly improved with the help of my psychiatrist and psychologist.  However, when my course deadline hit, The Training Room told me, for the first time, that I wasn't eligible to extend my deadline because I hadn't completed enough of the course. This shocked me, as nothing had been said about this before this point. I explained my financial and mental situation and was given a ‘generous’ offer which allowed me to stay on the course for a maximum of four months after my deadline for a fee of £350. If I had been able to afford that option, I would have taken it, however, as I informed them both in writing and over the phone, I was struggling to complete the course within the deadline because of my financial and health issues – charging me more and giving me minimal time to complete the course merely exacerbated the problem.

The Training Room is threatening me with legal action if I do not pay the full course fees of over £2000 and I do not have the money, nor do I think it is fair that they should charge me this. They did not listen to me, and were dishonest with me from the start.

I’m not the only person who has had this experience with the Training Room.  Is it really legal for them to be so unethical? Am I going to be forced to pay this even though it’s completely unreasonable? Any advice or insights would be really appreciated.

scan up their letter to one mass PDF after removing anything that can ID you here

read upload carefully

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Letter too please

DX

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi

I have to agree the Terms and Conditions are missing from that PDF also that PDF is only the Credit Agreement for your Course.

Can you post up the Letter from them threatening Legal Action as we need to see exactly what is states?

Can you post up the Full Agreement/Contract you signed with them for the Course (fully redacted) not just the Credit Agreement you have posted as that is not the Agreement /Contract that you signed with them.

When you asked to extend the Course did you explain it was for Medical reasons and did you provide them with evidence of this with a letter from your Doctor/Consultant you were undergoing this medical treatment for at the time?

Also can you clarify this link is them?

WWW.THETRAININGROOM.COM

Here at The Training Room we offer an array of courses to qualify you for a job you love. Find out more and apply for your dream course today.

If the above is correct did you follow their Complaint Procedure as they have set out:

WWW.THETRAININGROOM.COM

Here at The Training Room we offer an array of courses to qualify you for a job you love. Find out more and apply for your dream course today.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

OK.  Aren't your circumstances covered by 13 in the TTR Terms and Conditions?  Or have I misunderstood?

You can apply for an extension to the training period if you've been ill, but it's at TTR's discretion whether they grant it or not.  An extension is not guaranteed and if offered may come at extra cost.

Edit:  I can't see anything that says that to be eligible for an extension you need to have completed so much of the course

Edited by Manxman in exile

this reminds me of the old "trainline" scam a few years ao, very simmler story and tactics . If i remember right they lost big time in court and most of these agrements were null and void due to miss selling etc

Edited by lenny100

I'm not sure but I think you may have two separate but related issues.

The first is the course.  You are meant to complete it within a certain time frame - the "training period".   If you cannot do so you can apply for a discretionary extension in certain circumstances (eg illness) but the training provider is not obliged to grant an extension.  If they do grant an extension they can charge you for it.

I may have missed it but I can't see anything in their T&Cs that says you have to have completed two thirds (or whatever) of the course in order to be eligible for an extension.  So if they have used that as a ground for refusing you an extension (rather than just saying it was at their discretion) you might be able to challenge it.  But if they do give you an extension they can charge you for it.

At least that is how I read the training course T&Cs.  See if others agree with me.

The second issue is the finance agreement.  I'm no expert in this area but you seem to have agreed to take out a loan to pay for the course.  Whether you are bound by the terms of that loan agreement I don't know, but I suspect you might be.  Other posters know much more about this sort of agreement than I do and will be able to give you better advice than I can.

One avenue of escape for you might be under The Consumer Contract (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations, 2013.    If you bought the training course online you have a 14 day window during which you can cancel the course for a full refund if you have not already started the course.  (Or at least that is my understanding of the Regs).  If you have already started the course you cannot normally cancel it and get a refund UNLESS the course provider did not provide certain information to you at the outset about your right to cancel it.  In that case your right to cancel the course is extended to a year.  (It's not quite that simple but that is the gist of it).

So IF they did not provide the required information to you in an acceptable format, you JUST MIGHT still be able to cancel the course depending on when you signed up to do it.  But it might be a bit tenuous.

But I'm not a lawyer so don't take anything I say as legal advice.  I'm not qualified to give it.  Before you do anything see what other posters think.  I may be completely wrong.

I don't know what the "trainline" scam is that @lenny100 refers to, but I would suggest you explore that too.

OK.  Looking more closely at the T&Cs I would suggest that the information requirements of the Regulations I referred to in my previous post are met.  So I suspect that probably means that you might not be able to get out of the course and that you probably can't get out of the finance agreement either.

But as I said before, my take on this might be completely wrong-headed.  Wait and see what others say.

(Oh - I also note that 75 in the T&Cs say that they won't refund if a pre-existing health condition prevents you from completing the course.  I'm not sure if this might apply to your circumstances too?)

Hi

I could be wrong here so could @namedisplay please clarify if I am correct or completely wrong?

In your post#1 you mention that due to your health issues and your mental state at the time you rang the Training Room and was told it would cost and initial £200 and then £15 per month until you finished the course.

Then further in post#1 The Training Room told you you were not eligible for an extension because you hadn't completed enough of the course.

With the above I now refer Post#12 which mentions your circumstances are covered by 13 in the TTR Terms and Conditions.

What is mentioned above seems conflicting from TTR for the following:

1. IMO that money of £200 and then £15 per month (on top of original Course Fees) was them at that time agreeing to an extension as per 13 in TTR Terms and Conditions

2. Them stating you can't extend Course as not completed enough of Course is not in TTR Terms and Conditions (that I and others can see) (Note they could be referring to 15 in TTR Terms and Conditions)

Can you clarify the above and were you informed those extra costs were due to an extension of your Course.

Again I will ask did you provide the Training Room with Medical Evidence when you asked the above?

We also still need to see the Letter from Training Room Threatening Legal Action (fully redacted) which you still haven't posted?

You need to send The Training Room a Subject Access Request (SAR) asking for 'ALL DATA' that simple phrase means whatever format they hold that data in whether it be written, email, recorded phone calls etc.

They then have 30 Calendar Days to respond to your SAR Request and that Time Limit only starts once they have acknowledged your SAR Request. They can extend that Time Limit if they need to prove identity before actioning the SAR Request so be aware of that.

A SAR Request is now FREE and make sure you get Free Proof of Posting from the Post Office

Can you please make sure you answer the questions asked of Caggers to assist you

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Heres the default letter.  Had a really hard time getting any kind of quality.  I hope it's readable.

I asked about an extension earlier in the year and after not receiving a reply for months I called.  Over the phone I was told that it would be £200 plus £15 for every month that I needed the extension.  That's what I expected when the 12 months came- hence my surprise when I was told I wasn't eligible.  After fighting to get an extension they asked for medical evidence; which I provided.  That's when they offered me the extension for £340 (for 4 months only).

I'm way beyond cancelling the course.  This is an ongoing issue because I refused to pay them for so long.  When the course was taken away from me after the 12 months I decided to enrol in University because I wanted to get some kind of qualifications.  I told them this and that my student loans barely covered my living expenses- they didn't care, they just wanted me to pay.  Due to financial pressures I dropped out of University to find work and here I am now.

I wish I paid more attention to the one star reviews.  They're always flaunting their high rating on trustpilot- which is what made me think they were a good option at the time.  But looking closer at the reviews, there are almost no 2, 3, or 4 star reviews. Their one star reviews all sound very reminiscent to my experience with them.  Their 5 star reviews are numerous enough to keep their ratings high but I can't help but get a feeling that they're all false.  In fact a lot of the 5 star reviews are straight up lies- some of them say things like you can take as long as you need to finish the course.  I wonder if there's any way of finding out if they purchase good reviews in order to trick people into thinking their course is anything more than pages and pages of text files.

Thank you for looking at this everyone.  You've been really helpful.  Way more helpful than the Ombudsman who completely brushed me (and someone who went through a similar problem with the training room) off.

I'll send the SAR request shortly.

PS: @mantis shrimp the Lender IS the Training room.  Or more specifically TTR PT LTD

png2pdf.pdf

Edited by namedisplay

Have they been sending you regular notice of sums in arrears? Letters?

Dx

and they

3 hours ago, dx100uk said:

Have they been sending you regular notice of sums in arrears Letters?

Dx

Nosia have they been sent?.. Email is not an acceptable method of comms  them.

and they

@mantis shrimp it is indeed the same name.  What do you mean by great fun? fun to my benefit or theirs?

sorry @dx100uk, I'm not sure what your last post means.

Regarding the ombudsman,

I was very confused during the whole process.  I got the introduction and it sounded like they were going to contact the training room with the hopes that they would settle something (attached).

I got the final response email from the training room and thought that it was a waste of time, and that the ombudsman is useless because nothing changed (also attached). 

Time passed and I was distracted due to focusing on my studies, and I started getting more emails and letters from the training room. 

I was annoyed that the ombudsman was so useless and sent them an email wondering what the heck they even did, the response is attached.  I have no idea how the process works but it seemed like they just brushed me off and did nothing.  I've attached the correspondence.

png2pdf (1).pdf

Edited by dx100uk
added A few blank lines only..dx

This is there link from FCA Register and interesting it is indeed:

Look at Trading Names, What this Firm can do in the UK, Consumer Credit, Other Activities, Who is involved with activities at this firm, Who is this firm connected to. (have a good look through it interesting read)

What they can do under Consumer Credit from the link is:

Credit Broking

Entering into regulated credit agreement as Lender (Excluding high-cost short-term credit, bill of sale agreement, and home collected credit agreement)

Exercising/having right to exercise lender's rights and duties under a regulated credit agreement (excluding high-cost short-term credit, bill of sale agreement, and home collected credit agreement)

FCA Register Link:

REGISTER.FCA.ORG.UK

I'm really sorry @stu007, I did look through it but I have no idea what any of it means or what the significaance is.  I really appreciate everyone spending time to look at this- but I really am clueless when it comes to this kind of thing.

• Like 1

I spoke to my father and he had this to say.  What do you guys think?

"It seems to me that you have applied for a loan/credit from a company.

They have not given you the money but have paid it to themselves in return for access to their services.  At some point they have denied you access to the service that you have paid for.  From this point, you are not making any financial demand on them (you are not accessing their servers and you are not taking the time of their staff (tutors)).  However they are still expecting you to pay for that which they have denied you use of.

To me, it seems equivalent to you buying a car using finance. You have been provided the funds to buy the car and you have made arrangements to pay off the loan for it.  Sadly, through no fault of your own, your circumstances have been changed.  

The car dealership has taken back (denied you use of) the car. The finance company (the car dealership) still wants you to pay back the whole cost of the car.  What has happened to the value of the car that they have taken back?  Surely they would offset the value of the car against what you owe on the finance agreement?   It seems that in this case the car has been stolen by the car dealership (finance company.)

in this case, you have not been able to use the whole course, and so you have only caused a financial drain on the Training Room for that fraction of the total cost. 

if they want you to pay the cost of the finance for the whole course then they should give you the balance of the cash that you were not able to spend on access to the course..."

Your father would be likely to say that, but it isn't quite so simple as he indicates, is it?  (Has he read the contract you signed in respect of the training course and has he read the Training Room's response to your complaint?).

You weren't buying something material like a car, you were buying access to a course and training materials with a view to completing the course satisfactorily and gaining some sort of qualification.

The contract you agreed to required you to complete the course within a specific timescale.  If you were not able to complete it within that period you could, under a limited range of reasons, apply for an extension.  If you did apply for an extension there was no guarantee you would get one - it was at the Training Room's discretion - but if they did grant one it would come at extra cost to you.  As I understand it they did eventually grant you an extension but you were unable to afford the extra cost.

In their response to your complaint TTR seem to be making several points at least some of which seem valid to me.  First, according to them your health issues were discussed prior to the course and it would appear that you assured them this would not be a problem.  (The point being - if I've understood correctly - that you can't use a pre-existing condition as a reason for an extension).  Second, they say they will not grant extensions if the student has not completed enough of the course to suggest they are capable of completing it.  They say that they do this in the student's interests because they don't want students to spend extra money unnecessarily and pointlessly on extensions if they are unlikely to complete the course.  In your case they further say that you applied for an extension far too early in the course and that you still had more than ample time to complete it in the training period.

So if I've understood it all correctly (and apologies if I haven't) TTR gave you full access to the course and materials throughout the training period, but you did not complete the course because of illness.  You applied for an extension and either (a) TTR did not grant it or (b) they did grant it but you did not take up their offer.  Either way you did not complete the course but TTR want full payment for it.

Your father's analogy falls down here:  " The car dealership has taken back (denied you use of) the car."  But TTR have not, unless I'm mistaken, denied you access to the course within the training period.  You were simply unable to take advantage of that access because of illness.  TTR appear to have done what they agreed to do under the contract - provided the course to you - and they expect to be paid for it.

The correct analogy with a car purchase would be where you bought a car on finance but then through illness became unable to use it.  The finance company would still want to be paid whether you could drive it or not.

Looking at the T&Cs of the agreement regarding the course and looking at TTR's response to your complaint (which I think contains more information than you have given us) I'm not convinced that you have much of a valid complaint based on the training contract.

But having said that, there might be other avenues you can explore to avoid having to repay the loan.  But these are not areas I know much about so you will need to rely on input from others:

• you might be able to put forward some argument that the course T&Cs are unfair in some way.  ( I don't think they are, but see what others say)
  • you complained early on in this thread that the course materials and teaching etc were far from satisfactory and possibly substandard.  Have you raised this as a complaint with TTR?
  • you say other people have complained on social media.  Do you know what outcomes these people got or are they still dissastisfied?
  • somebody else has already suggested that there might be something questionable about one arm of TTR giving you a loan to pay the course-providing part of TTR, and then charging you interest for the privilege!  Is there a possibility the loan has been missold in some way?  I don't know but others will.
  • stu007 has pointed something out that might help you in #27, but like you said in #28 I don't understand what it is without further explanation

What you need to try to keep separate in your own mind - I think - is that there are two distinct but related issues here.  The first surrounds your issues with the course itself, the second concerns the repayment of the loan.

Thank you for your detailed comment @Manxman in exile, I'm grateful for the time you spent on it.

I understand what you're saying, and I guess I feared it would be the case.

In response to your final comments, I didn't make a direct complaint regarding the course materials at the time.  My mental state lead me to believe it was my fault that I couldn't get through it.  It wasn't until I heard others mention their thoughts on the course materials that I realised I really should have expected more than what was presented.  

I have managed to get in touch with 2 or 3 others, however most of these review sites don't let you contact people so it's not easy to open up a dialogue.  Those that I have spoke to are definitely still dissatisfied, but I'm still waiting to hear about any details.

Thank you again for your time.