Selling a property for care fees

linbren03

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 105 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I would like some help on an issue. My wife and I have got a Static Caravan that we use for family holidays. Our permanent residence is a rented property. My question is would we have to sell our holiday home if one of us goes into care?

Many thanks

Static caravans are sold for the value of the temporary building itself and your annual fee includes rent for the ground it stands on as well as membership to the site and use of its facilities.

As it isn't your permanent home and presuming you don't earn an income from it by renting it out, it shouldn't be included as a property asset.

I would be checking this with a legal expert (you may have some free legal advice included with your home insurance) though if you think there's an imminent need for residential social care for one of you.

• Like 1

On 28/01/2022 at 14:05, mantis shrimp said:

static caravans and their sites can be sellable assets; they are not always as described by the previous poster. 

I have PM'd you to advise you must not just state that I am wrong without giving a reasoned argument.

The original poster should do as I advised and seek professional legal advice.

• Sad 1

I think the following clarifies the legal position.....

WWW.SAGA.CO.UK

Living in a mobile home: What happens if we go into care?

Andy

• Like 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread